Disney breaks ground on Avatar's Pandora at Animal Kingdom

LAKE BUENA VISTA –

Disney broke ground on Pandora Friday.

Park leaders Tom Staggs, Meg Crofton and George Kalogridis joined Jon Landau, producer of the film “Avatar” for a ceremonial groundbreaking at Animal Kingdom.

Disney has long planned to build an Avatar-inspired land at Animal Kingdom. Last weekend Disney closed the Camp Minnie-Mickey area of the park, which is where this new land will likely be built.

The multi-year expansion will give guests a chance to experience Pandora, including floating mountains, plants that glow at night and a chance to ride a banshee.

Disney said the addition is also part of a larger expansion that will extend Animal Kingdom’s operating hours. The park will soon feature a new evening show and a nighttime version of Kilimanjaro Safaris.

A nighttime version of the safari?
Oh the animals are going to love that.
Still not caring for Avatarland.

Me either, I have zero interest in any part of Avaterland. The only good part for us may be it will pull more people out of the other parks and off the rides we want to go on.

The early imagineering pics look gorgeous. I just want it to be gorgeous and original, NOT Avatar!

Nope…no Avatar anything for us…we will skip that area…I just can’t see it being that big of a draw to make people want to go see it…

It may indeed draw people away from the rest of the park and that would be a good thing…we find the pathways very narrow and crowded in places at AK…it is definitely our least far park…

I Don’t know what to think…

I’m actually beginning to think that Avatar 2 is going to flop at the box office.
You just don’t hear people clamoring for more Avatar like you do for:
Star Wars
Star Trek
X Men
Batman
The Avengers (individual and group)
James Bond
Pirates of the Caribbean
Harry Potter

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1141560]I’m actually beginning to think that Avatar 2 is going to flop at the box office.
You just don’t hear people clamoring for more Avatar like you do for:
Star Wars
Star Trek
X Men
Batman
The Avengers (individual and group)
James Bond
Pirates of the Caribbean
Harry Potter[/QUOTE]

There are SO MANY different ways that Disney could have gone. I REALLY think they picked a stinker here.

This movie was just so politically correct I couldn’t sit though it.

If the sequel bombs big enough maybe WDW will actually put something in that people care about. Of course by then Disney will have already invested too much in the project and we’ll get it no matter how bad it sucks - like the stupid magic bands.

I’m looking forward to this. Really - I am. I loved Avatar.

I hear yah Boss I loved it also. I think it can really be a neat if done right.

I am taking a wait and see attitude. I am opening to giving this a chance. Camp Minnie Mickey really needed something other than Festival of The Lion King.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1141576]There are SO MANY different ways that Disney could have gone. I REALLY think they picked a stinker here.

This movie was just so politically correct I couldn’t sit though it.

If the sequel bombs big enough maybe WDW will actually put something in that people care about. Of course by then Disney will have already invested too much in the project and we’ll get it no matter how bad it sucks - like the stupid magic bands.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure how politically correct Avatar was/wasn’t, what I am sure of is that I’m one of the few people who couldn’t care less about the movie. Wife loves it though.
I’d really rather see more Star Wars.

By the way, Avatar 2 is now scheduled to open December 2016, a full year after the release of Star Wars Episode 7, the first of the final three Star Wars movies, and it’s opening is set for December 18, 2015. (They’re doing script reads now and I’d guess principle photography will commence in a couple months)
And Disney actually owns Star Wars!

I love avatar it’s my favorite movie and I heard that Avatar is coming to Disney Animal kingdom It’s awesome!