Disney buys Lucasfilm!

First there was Pixar. Next came Marvel. Today we find out that Disney is buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion in cash and stock, making George Lucas a major stockholder in Disney.

In the announcement, Disney stated that this deal is mostly for Star Wars, the films, intellectual property, and merchandising and discounted Indy’s part in the deal because Paramount has the film rights. Also part of the deal of course is ILM, the special effects powerhouse, and Skywalker Sound.

Look for “Star Wars VII” in 2015 with new movies every two to three years after.
Don’t forget, after the prequels Ep I, II, and III, they were supposed to have done a post middle three trilogy and if original plans had held, Ep IX would have come out in 2001.

I predict wonderful things in the parks.

Disney to buy Lucasfilm for $4 billion - Oct. 30, 2012

Truly, that seems like some serious movement by Disney. Wow. What a deal on their part. I think it is wonderful for them, and very competitive on their part. Very strategic.

Time to book SWW for 2013 and beyond.

Starwars is such a wonderful series, I mean how many movies that were made 30 years ago look just as good today and a grandfather can take his sons and grandsons? I just hope that they stay true to the story.

I read that the payment for this was partial cash, and the other half was 40 million shares of Disney stock. Does that make him the majority shareholder?

It gives him about 2.5% ownership.

I just got a request to merge this with Chastmaster’s thread. I’m guessing it’s in one of the Disney news forums.
Here’s the problem. I have no idea how to merge two threads when there’s more than just my original post.
Seems like I’d need administrator privileges, which I neither need nor want.

If one of the administrators wants to handle this, please. If not, I’m sure we can have this thread concentrate on what this means in the parks.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1124519]It gives him about 2.5% ownership.

I just got a request to merge this with Chastmaster’s thread. I’m guessing it’s in one of the Disney news forums.
Here’s the problem. I have no idea how to merge two threads when there’s more than just my original post.
Seems like I’d need administrator privileges, which I neither need nor want.

If one of the administrators wants to handle this, please. If not, I’m sure we can have this thread concentrate on what this means in the parks.[/QUOTE]
You weren’t asked to merge, you can’t do that, I only wanted you to cut and paste but it’s too late. Thanks anyway, Doug

I know. If there was just my original post, I could have done the cut and paste thing and then delete my post, which would kill the duplicate thread. But like we’ve both said, by the time I got your request, it was already too late.

Sooooooo

Has anyone seen the new Darth Donald Duck (Darth Maul) stuffed toy?
Maybe they’ll make a Jar Jar Goofy stuffed toy to replace the Jar Jar Goofy statuette that Art of Disney and World of Disney used to have.

Will we see more of the Disney characters in Star Wars garb in the parks now that the Walt Disney Company owns the Star Wars universe? How about new Star Wars rides? An enlarged Star Wars section of DHS?

A STAR WARS THEMED MEGACOASTER?!?!?!?!?!:wub:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1124550]

Will we see more of the Disney characters in Star Wars garb in the parks now that the Walt Disney Company owns the Star Wars universe? How about new Star Wars rides? An enlarged Star Wars section of DHS?

A STAR WARS THEMED MEGACOASTER?!?!?!?!?!:wub:[/QUOTE]

DHS could be expanded into the parking lot behind Star Tours. There is enough space to put in a new parking lot and almost double the size of DHS.

You could see a whole lot of cool rides. How about an inside Megacoaster (like RnR but bigger) themed off one of the Death Star battles. A Clone War ride like Toy Story/Buzz Light Year shooting up battle droids. A TT type ride but the ride vehicles more toboggan configured like speeder bikes.

I could see a lot of walk through areas with things like the ATAT display they have now.

That is just off the top of my head…

This is huge not just for the rights to the movies but all of the awesome technology that Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker sound has that even Disney doesn’t have.

To Infinity and BEYOND!!! :laugh:

Putting ILM in house for Disney is huge on many levels.
Profits will climb because of the sheer number of films that ILM is contracted to provide every year. Just hope the bean counters don’t throttle down the innovation at ILM. That would be a crime.

[QUOTE=tigger;1124551]DHS could be expanded into the parking lot behind Star Tours. There is enough space to put in a new parking lot and almost double the size of DHS.

You could see a whole lot of cool rides. How about an inside Megacoaster (like RnR but bigger) themed off one of the Death Star battles. A Clone War ride like Toy Story/Buzz Light Year shooting up battle droids. A TT type ride but the ride vehicles more toboggan configured like speeder bikes.

I could see a lot of walk through areas with things like the ATAT display they have now.

That is just off the top of my head…[/QUOTE]

DHS already has a parking deck for CMs. Disneyland converted to parking decks when they turned the parking lot into DCA. Parking decks would conserve land for other uses. Besides, if they really wanted to, they could expand DHS all the way south to Osceola Parkway. There’s lots of room.

They can’t expand all the way to Osceola Parkway because of the canal. They have to keep enough land around the park to keep it from flooding during an extreme weather event.

If they moved the south entrance road to the parking lot along the canal it would open up a lot of land for use as park, probably more than they would need.

Anyway not my problem to solve, Disney has smart people than me more in the know so anything I have is base speculations…WOW me Disney!

Chainsaw’s + bulldozer = canal moved. There, canal problem solved.:laugh:

I could see this place being a fifth park. At least a huge area of a new park that has its theme of outer space. Or other frontiers, what else could they do? I think this could warrant more than 1-2 rides.

If they moved it would there be enough land to absorb any flooding? Could be a bigger project than we imagine. I am just working with what is already seems to be engineered.

I didn’t think that New Fantasyland was very competitive with IOA’s Harry Potter addition. It’s just more Disney - it doesn’t hit a new niche of fan people.

I wasn’t a big fan of the Avatar land, either. Avatar, so far, is a one hit wonder.

But Star Wars… this will be very competitive. It’s like an entire new culture of people who will be flocking to Disney parks once they add more attractions. And the movies - these are destined to bring in big money. Very smart move.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1124550]

A STAR WARS THEMED MEGACOASTER?!?!?!?!?!:wub:[/QUOTE]

:heart::heart::heart: I HOPE!! I love, love Star Wars!!! This made me so happy!

Hopefully all the wheels have been turning for years and we get another big annoucement soon and all our dreams come true. I’m to old to wait to long.

It’s now being reported that Lucas will be donating the entire $4 billion to education charities. I wonder how they’ll deal with the $2 billion in stock? Hopefully it will be used as an endowment that will only draw on the dividends. If they dump that much stock at one time, it won’t be good for Disney.