Disney Career Start Program Questions

Hey Everyone,

I am very interested in the career start program, but I have a few questions. When should I apply for the Fall program? Is there any option to stay after the program is over? To anyone who has done the program- any tips for the phone interview would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Colin

Welcome to MouseBuzz! Disney has it’s own website to help you out. Disney Theme Parks & Resorts College Program- Walt Disney World Resort

Hi All,

I’m tigerfanatic’s father. We’d also like to hear about practical pointers on life as a “career-starter.” What’s NOT on the official site that we should know and plan for?

Thank you all.

Hey!
I actually just got accepted for the Spring CS program, and I leave in Feb- Aug! If you have ANY questions don’t hesitate to ask me! The Fall semester usually begins in mid-late August. So you’re gonna want to call the Job Recruiting Office (I have their number if you want), around Jan-Feb I’d say to ask them when Fall app’s go up. They’ll give you the exact date of when app’s go up.

Also, you can go to the CS website and sign up for the newsletter, which will email you when apps go up! :]

And yes, they do offer prolonged employment to some of the CS kids. You can extend your program, or if offered, take a full time job, or go seasonal.

If you have any other questions, I’m more than happy to help!

Hey Stacey,

How was your phone interview? What kind of questions did they ask?

[QUOTE=tigerfanatic24;1001867]Hey Stacey,

How was your phone interview? What kind of questions did they ask?[/QUOTE]

The phone interview was seriously a lot easier than you’ll anticipate! Don’t be nervous. As with everything you do, your recruiter is the main thing. Everyone’s interview that I know was different. Some were 8 minutes long and others 35minutes long, but that doesn’t mean anything! If yours is short don’t panic!-- mine was only 15 mins long. Its just that some recruiters really wanna know your hopes and dreams and others just need to get the facts and figures.

My recruiter was really nice, but she just asked what she needed to ask. While my best friends was extremely outgoing and asked her a million and ten questions. And we both got accepted.

They’ll first start off by asking you the basics, if your infos right-- SS number, email, phone, address, and the roles you selected. Then they’ll get into the roles… they ARE going to ask you if the roles you selected are the only ones you are open to, if they are, it’s OKAY to say so. It’s gonna sound like they’re guilting you into saying you’ll do any role. But if the roles you chose are really the only ones you want, let them know, nicely though! lol.

I told my recruiter that I was only open to the three I selected and I’m glad I did. My friend told her recruiter she’d do anything and she got custodial which she didn’t want at all… even though she got it fixed, it almost ruined her program for her!

After that your recruiter will ask you one questions about each of your top roles. EXAMPLE:

Attractions-- (my answer)
Q:If you are working the line at Space Mountain and a family comes up with a little boy too short to ride the ride, what would you do?
A: I would tell the little boy that it’s not safe for him to ride the ride, and then suggest a ride he and his family can all enjoy together. ETC.

Just answer honestly and you’ll do fine!

Then she asked me things like have I ever had roommates, what would I do if a problem arose with my roommate, etc.

Your recruiter will ask you which role you want the most. So here’s a piece of advice, if your recruiter doesn’t really ask you WHERE you want to work-- try and work it into the convo! Even if it’s just a certain park, or area of the park. Because even though they dont tell you where you work til you get down there, they still take notes and if you tell them, they’ll write it down and they’ll try to give you that choose. It’s better than not saying anything, and having it be a shot in the dark.

My recruiter didn’t ask me and I was really hoping she would, and when my friend called to change her role from custodial to FSF&B, after switching her roles the recruiter mentioned that her phone interviewer had written down where she dreamed of working, and that that was where they’d try to put her. So after I heard this, I wrote a email to see if I could suggest my dream places to work, they wrote me back and said go ahead! Give us your input of where you want to work! So I did! And I feel a lot better just knowing they know a little more about where I think I’d excel in WDW.

And if you do so, give them a reason as to why you want to work there. Such as, I told them I wanted to work in MK or HS. I told them Fantasyland or Main Street in MK was my first choice and I gave them a few stores since I’m merchandise. I told them I think I would excel in Fantasyland because I have a TON of experience with young children (Fantasylands rulers!) and that I am really good with them! Also I told them I thought I would excel there because its the most classic form of Disney Magic and thats the kind I’d like to spread! And Main Street because I have experience in a bakery and with confectionery delights!

Don’t be nervous, and don’t be afraid to let them know you and your dreams. Because even though you’ll be going there as a CM and not a guest, they are STILL Disney and they’ll STILL want to try to make your dreams come true!

Just be happy and friendly on the phone interview. I was terribly nervous on mine, and it tortured me for the 4 weeks until I got that beautiful yellow folder in the mail!

I hope I helped you as much as I could, cause believe me, I’ve been in your shoes. Looking for the same answers to the same questions I’m sure you have, and no one seems to give the answers, or enough info on the questions.

If you have any other questions I’d loveee to help! I love taking about this stuff! haha. GOOD LUCK!

[QUOTE=Big Al;1000004]Hi All,

I’m tigerfanatic’s father. We’d also like to hear about practical pointers on life as a “career-starter.” What’s NOT on the official site that we should know and plan for?

Thank you all.[/QUOTE]

Big Al and Tigerfanatic, believe me there are A LOT of things you wish the website told you! I have collected info over the past 3 years, from friends, vlogs, blogs, fourms, YOU NAME IT! haha. I know how hard it is to get the right info on this program. Even though tons of kids do it every year, it’s still surprisingly low-key, ESPECIALLY the CS program. All the info seems to be about the CP. But they are essential the same thing.

The share the same housing, transportation, parties, activities, and even certain roles (CP has more options, is all.)

If there’s any specific questions that you or your family have I’d love to help. I’m pretty well versed on this program even though I’m doing it for my first time. I know everything from which housing complexes are better to how to request time off, to perks of the job, educational courses, and even what to bring, websites to get in touch with other CS hopefuls, and what things you’ll need/want to bring with you once you get accepted!

I’m here anytime!

Thank you for your great reply to my question :slight_smile: Here is another one.

Most of the roles available for the program are self explanatory. But do you have any details from other people who did custodial or costuming?

Thank you for your very thoughtful and complete answer. We may more questions. I’ve talked to Tigerfanatic about how to used the private mail system to maybe get more specific info or questions he may not want to post in an open forum.

Thanks Again!

[QUOTE=tigerfanatic24;1002055]Thank you for your great reply to my question :slight_smile: Here is another one.

Most of the roles available for the program are self explanatory. But do you have any details from other people who did custodial or costuming?[/QUOTE]

I actually don’t know anyone who has done customing, so I’m not really sure. But if I make any friends with anyone in customing while I’m down in FL I’ll be sure to report back to you! As for custodial, the way it was describe to me was basically as you are assigned a section of the park you work in and thats your section for your shift. You walk around, keep it tidy, ofcourse do some maintance like chaning trash, windexing, etc. But mostly the people I know who have done it acutally liked it a lot, you basically get to walk around and enjoy the parks and talk to guests and fun things like that!

[QUOTE=Big Al;1002143]Thank you for your very thoughtful and complete answer. We may more questions. I’ve talked to Tigerfanatic about how to used the private mail system to maybe get more specific info or questions he may not want to post in an open forum.

Thanks Again![/QUOTE]

Oh sure! Tell him it’s really no trouble at all! If either you, him or any of your other family members have any questions or concerns about the program and applying, etc, don’t hesitate to PM me or respond here! If he would like to PM me thats alright! Tell him go ahead!

How can I extend my stay in the program? Is it something I can sign up for or do I have to be chosen/invited? And also how was the apartment life up there? Were people friendly and get along well?

Hello! Most everyone can extend, unless you had some sort of problem with your job or behavior. They will offer an extension towards the end of your program, BUT remember, there’s a lot of people in the same boat as you, so my advice is, call the Programs Office, or go there (it’s located, as I’m sure you know at the Internation housing complex, on the second floor, right at the top of the stairs, of the main building at the complex.) Just let them know that you are interested in extending your program (calling is most likely a good plan, and then they’ll tell you to come in for a meeting if needed.) They will help you out with all the specific details and how about going further with the process! Also, the information (i.e. the phone number) of the Programs Office is in your manual!

If you have any other questions just let me know! :happy:

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;1053400]Hello! Most everyone can extend, unless you had some sort of problem with your job or behavior. They will offer an extension towards the end of your program, BUT remember, there’s a lot of people in the same boat as you, so my advice is, call the Programs Office, or go there (it’s located, as I’m sure you know at the Internation housing complex, on the second floor, right at the top of the stairs, of the main building at the complex.) Just let them know that you are interested in extending your program (calling is most likely a good plan, and then they’ll tell you to come in for a meeting if needed.) They will help you out with all the specific details and how about going further with the process! Also, the information (i.e. the phone number) of the Programs Office is in your manual!

If you have any other questions just let me know! :happy:[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I think I may have made it seem as if I’m already in the program-which unfortunately I’m not-yet, but I will be applying in January right? Early to mid January? I wanna apply as soon as possible. My next question is about how long does it take to hear back from Disney after submitting the application, how long to wait to hear back after web interview, then after phone interview, etc. etc? Sorry I know that’s a lot to process at one time but I’m just bursting with questions!:eek:

Hahaha, thats okay! Well now you’ll know for future reference! If you are trying to do Fall 2011, then yes the applications should go up mid-late January. lol. Honestly though, starting in like the 3rd week of Decemeber just start calling the Recruiting the Office once a week and they should be able to tell you the exact date the applications go online. And just check the website everyday. lol. Thats what I did. And I applied THE DAY it went up haha.

You send your application (fax and mail a hardcopy) then they will send you an email for the web interview (check spam!) and as soon as you take the web interview it’ll tell you right then and there if you passed. If you pass, they’ll give you a number and you can call and set up your phone interview instantly (as long as it’s during office hours) And they’ll give you the time and date of the interview. It’s usually within a day or two. Sometimes up to a week. But not often.

And thats okay, I loveee giving answers to CP/CS questions. I’ve helped a lot of people on here with their program questions! So keep em coming!! hahaha.
:laugh:

It can be anywhere from 4-6 weeks, as the company will tell you. But sometimes people hear back after just 2 and 1/2 or 3 weeks. It really just depends on how fast they process them. I heard back a little before 4 weeks. You should definitely hear by 4 weeks. If you haven’t call the recruiting office and just make sure nothing went wrong!

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;1053961]Hahaha, thats okay! Well now you’ll know for future reference! If you are trying to do Fall 2011, then yes the applications should go up mid-late January. lol. Honestly though, starting in like the 3rd week of Decemeber just start calling the Recruiting the Office once a week and they should be able to tell you the exact date the applications go online. And just check the website everyday. lol. Thats what I did. And I applied THE DAY it went up haha.

You send your application (fax and mail a hardcopy) then they will send you an email for the web interview (check spam!) and as soon as you take the web interview it’ll tell you right then and there if you passed. If you pass, they’ll give you a number and you can call and set up your phone interview instantly (as long as it’s during office hours) And they’ll give you the time and date of the interview. It’s usually within a day or two. Sometimes up to a week. But not often.

And thats okay, I loveee giving answers to CP/CS questions. I’ve helped a lot of people on here with their program questions! So keep em coming!! hahaha.
:laugh:

It can be anywhere from 4-6 weeks, as the company will tell you. But sometimes people hear back after just 2 and 1/2 or 3 weeks. It really just depends on how fast they process them. I heard back a little before 4 weeks. You should definitely hear by 4 weeks. If you haven’t call the recruiting office and just make sure nothing went wrong![/QUOTE]

THANK YOU SO MUCH! OMG THANK YOU LOL! That was awesome you answered every question perfectly I am just so relieved I have a game plan now! And yes I will definitely start in December and call every week and thats awesome you signed up on the very day it went up I’m going to do everything possible to see that I do that too lol :smile:

Stacey, if ever there was a job for Disney careers advice I would nominate you in a heartbeat, you are brilliant and must have helped these guys above so much- well done to you xx

You are so very welcome! Believe me, I’ve been researching this program since I was 13 and it was sooo much harder even then to find information! And it’s still hard now. I’ve been in those shoes and so I’m glad to help! And it will make you feel so much more relieved that you know whats coming up so you can get prepared! Seriously, if you have any other questions just let me know! Either on this thread or you can PM (private message) me anytime!

Also, I have a blog My Adventure’s On WDWCP!

That has a lot of blog posts with questions from other kids from this website that I answered. I posted them all up there! So that might help to. Plus it’s got alot of tips and tricks!

Haha, thank you Karen :] I will remember to put you down as a reference! haha. :laugh: I would love to work for Disney careers :] Especially a CP/CS coordinator! That would be great!

Wow, I’ll definitely have to keep you in mind for when my daughter has questions! She really wants to do one of the Disney programs like the CS or Internship. She’s a junior in high school right now, and has been doing some research on them, I’m sure she’d be very interested in asking you some questions about it! And the advice you’ve given here is wonderful, I definitely am in agreement with dixie! Nice work! :smile: