Disney Copyright Infringement?

There is a local dance company that advertises with Disney characters. I’m almost positive they do not have a licensed agreement of any sort. I let it slip, last year, but this is the second year in a row! If they were making the Disney characters look good, I’d probably ignore it, but they’re just bringing shame to the Disney name.

Does anyone know how you turn in a company for possible copyright infringement? Or what, exactly, is breaking the copyright?

The Disney characters are probably the most violated copyright. They are ALMOST public figures.

Some companies go after violation more aggressively. I know when we had a company that had a BARNEY costume that we’d use for Make-A-Wish kid’s party. They came after them and they got rid of the costume. (Now we have a purple dino that is NOT Barney. It may be his cousin Fred. [groan])

From the business stand point, they are going to go after things where people are making big $$$$$ first.

I don’t know what you have to do to turn them in, but you are correct they are in violation of infringement.

Part of what we do is sign-making and sublimation. We own the Disney font and have access to many copyrighted images yet we do not have the rights to use any of this. Many of the items that are available on Zazzle, Wal*Mart photo, and the Photo Pass website we could easily make, but we never will.

We do not have the rights to profit from any Disney image or font.

When out CP Recruiter Andy came to town and took us out to dinner, I heartily suggested The Pirates House, and also mentioned that they had their own Jack Sparrow walking about (he’s really good too, acts just like him.) After an uncomfortable pause, I added, “don’t sue them, they have REALLY good food!!”

Andy just laughed.

I know who you are talking about! I saw them yesterday at the Anderson parade. OMG, I just realized I bet you were there with the band and Emilie danced with Hot Shots! She takes from Hot Shots in Honea Path but is all ran by the same lady. WOW, we should have done a quick M&G!

I don’t know if there is really much you can do. It would depend on what is specifically copyrighted for each character. I used to decorate cakes at a Dairy Queen and they had us do cakes all the time that “looked” like characters but had a few subtle differences. Luckily we had all the rights for Disney or at least enough, but things like Spoongebob and other Universal/Nick characters got fudged all the time. Someone turned us in once, and we got in no trouble. They are still doing it. It made me mad, but it paid really well!

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;911491]The Disney characters are probably the most violated copyright. They are ALMOST public figures.

Some companies go after violation more aggressively. I know when we had a company that had a BARNEY costume that we’d use for Make-A-Wish kid’s party. They came after them and they got rid of the costume. (Now we have a purple dino that is NOT Barney. It may be his cousin Fred. [groan])

From the business stand point, they are going to go after things where people are making big $$$$$ first.[/QUOTE]

I heard about that Barney thing from a rep from Make a Wish. I gotta say, I think it’s kinda crappy that they didn’t let them us it for that.

I really don’t think it’s a big deal…I wouldn’t waste the time on it

Steppin’ Out Dance Studio! You’re right! They use the Disney font and characters and music, and have some slogan, “Dance Like a Disney Princess” or something like that. (What a small world!)

(Pride of Pendleton Marching Band - third band [the successful one])

The only reason it’s a big deal is because they’re kind of like our rival dance studio, except they don’t compete, and I can’t stand them. :laugh: