Disney Dining Plan for Idiots

I’ve already read the great information included in the FAQs. But, I need MORE! :wacko: My Unofficial Guide (2008) doesn’t have any information on the DDP and the information on Disney’s site is limited.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get extremely thorough and detailed information on the dining plan? Preferably a book. This will be my first time using DDP. And, I have a week-long business trip coming up and would definitely enjoy the light reading.

I am not sure about a book, but we can help here if you need it! Feel free to ask any questions.

haha, yeah… I’m still not sure if I understand DDP! :laugh:

I think it was RLCarmichael who sent me a brochure about DDP. It narrows it down to exactly what you can get as snacks, which is helpful.

I’m getting a lot of information from MouseSavers.com - Disney Discount Source - Disney World Discounts, Disneyland Discounts, Disney Cruise Discounts. They have a page for “making the most” of your 2009 dining plan. They highlight when and where it is advantageous to just buy an add-on instead of wasting an additional credit, the restaurants which provide lots of food, and they explain that some restaurants don’t offer a kid’s menu allowing you the option of ordering adult meals. As simple as it may seem, there is even a suggestion to order bottled waters and/or fruits to save for later than a beverage in a cup and a dessert. It is very helpful!

Thanks for that link. We’re also going in Aug. for free dining, and even though we’ve used the dining plan twice before (but paid for it both of those times), I’m always looking for new ideas on how to get the most out of it!

PassPorter’s Walt Disney World guide book is very good. It will give you a good discription of the plan as well as all the counter service and table service resturants and how many credits they are. It also gives you a breif discription of the food and the atmosphere at every resturant in WDW. This book I read cover to cover and was most informative about the DDP.
Hope this helps:)

I have a nice brochure in Acrobat (PDF) format that I’ve downloaded and reduced from the 4meg size - much smaller. It’s the DVC brochure but same plan. Email me if you like one: RLC@RLCarmichael.com

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;952144]haha, yeah… I’m still not sure if I understand DDP! :laugh:

I think it was RLCarmichael who sent me a brochure about DDP. It narrows it down to exactly what you can get as snacks, which is helpful.[/QUOTE]

The Disney brochure is VERY vague as to what you can get for snacks!! It says a piece of fruit, ice cream, water, etc. I have a really great list I get from another DISney site that I will update. You’d be surprised with what you can get!

When I was there in March I was told most snack items are $4 less tax. So it the items is 3.79, it’s NOT a snack because WITH tax it is OVER $4!?!? :confused:

There is also a little square purple and white symbol next to menu items and on the baskets and shelves that have a DDP on them . . . it’s helpful, because somethings you THINK are snacks ARE NOT.

Also, if you say “I’m on the dining plan” the CM will tell you what you can and can not get!

another thing to remember with snacks, we had lots of them left over & were trying to get some goodies to bring home to share…but…any of the snacks that have more than 1 in the pack are not considered snacks…like we got a pack of rock candy lollipops, and because there were 3 in the pack, not considered a snack…also a box of cookies, not a snack…but a bag of jellybeans was a snack so its not really a cut & dry as to what is or isnt. it also might depend on where you go, some people when we would ask if something was included in the DDP, they would say, i can make it be part of your plan.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;952307]When I was there in March I was told most snack items are $4 less tax. So it the items is 3.79, it’s NOT a snack because WITH tax it is OVER $4!?!? :confused:

There is also a little square purple and white symbol next to menu items and on the baskets and shelves that have a DDP on them . . . it’s helpful, because somethings you THINK are snacks ARE NOT.

Also, if you say “I’m on the dining plan” the CM will tell you what you can and can not get![/QUOTE]

You really need to ask. Those squares are NOT indicitave of everything that is a snack. And YES, some things that are $3.79, $3.99, $4 ARE considered snacks.

See the updated snack list I am going to post in a few seconds. :happy:

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;952322]You really need to ask. Those squares are NOT indicitave of everything that is a snack. And YES, some things that are $3.79, $3.99, $4 ARE considered snacks.

See the updated snack list I am going to post in a few seconds. :happy:[/QUOTE]

REALLY? Twice last trip I tried to buy items that were under $4 and I was told NO with tax it was over, so it did not qualify.

ALSO, at Sleepy Hollow in MK funnel cake is a snack credit BUT at Epcot in America funnel cake is NOT even on the DDP and they only take CASH?

So even with a list, I think your best bet is to just ask.

I also think that it depends on who and where you are. They might be as confused as we are!

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;952335]REALLY? Twice last trip I tried to buy items that were under $4 and I was told NO with tax it was over, so it did not qualify.

ALSO, at Sleepy Hollow in MK funnel cake is a snack credit BUT at Epcot in America funnel cake is NOT even on the DDP and they only take CASH?

So even with a list, I think your best bet is to just ask.[/QUOTE]

Well, if a place only takes CASH, then it won’t be a Snack Credit on the DDP. And the $4 rule doesn’t work in all instances…for example, a bucket of popcorn is under $4, yet they make you get the smaller size.

The list I posted are actually confirmed in 2009. It is posted as a reference so people know what they can and can’t get. And often times, some CMs don’t know what DOES and DOESN’T qualify, especially if they are new. If there is an item that I know DOES qualify and they say NO, I would speak to someone else or a manager.

GOOD LUCK!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: so true! Sometimes I think MB members know way more!!

I know just how you feel as we felt a little like that too. The thing was, the more I read the more confused I became. I had great advice from here especially from Doug/Soundgod who really said to us that in the end once you start using it at WDW it all sort of falls into place and it does. Its not nearly as complicated as it first sounds, and its such a boon to have, you will really be glad you got it.

Allears has some great info on the DDP. Walt Disney World Vacation Packages You can find the list of accepted restaurants and CS places.

Definitely check the Confirmed Snack sticky at the top of this forum. It’s very thorough! When in doubt though, you’re best off to ask when you’re actually there. Most items that are included are labeled with the DDP symbol next to the menu item but you may find there are others that count if you just ask.

GL! The DDP can be a pretty confusing thing until you actually USE it once or twice. I’m pretty comfortable with it now after having used it on our last trip. But of course they make changes all the time (like now it doesn’t include an appetizer or gratuity :glare:).

[QUOTE=Remy;952169]PassPorter’s Walt Disney World guide book is very good. It will give you a good discription of the plan as well as all the counter service and table service resturants and how many credits they are. It also gives you a breif discription of the food and the atmosphere at every resturant in WDW. This book I read cover to cover and was most informative about the DDP.
Hope this helps:)[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think Passporter exlpains it better than the Unoffical. The Unofficial is my favorite guide for WDW, but you must get the Passporter if you want it SUPER explained.

Thank you all! Thank you RLCarmichael. I’m going to check out the addendum to the snack list, iluvwdw. Thanks!

The Barnes & Noble nearest my home had only the Passporter and Unofficial Guide. So, my choice was pretty easy. Although I haven’t exactly reached the DDP section yet, I’m enjoying the book so far.