Disney Dining Reservation Shenanigans!

Okay, maybe my theory is wrong, but we are two weeks out from our vacation and I seriously believe Disney “releases” more available reservations as the dates get closer.

Last night at 11pm I searched for Cinderella’s Royal Table, but absolutely no luck on the day we needed it. This morning? If I searched for “dinner”, one reservation came up, 8:10pm. I went ahead and made the reservation but we really needed 9pm and nothing at all showed available. So, I sat there for a few minutes more and instead of searching for “dinner”, I then searched for “9pm”. Immediately, 8:15pm and 9:00pm showed up. If it were any other restaurant, I could see multiple being available. But in 12 hours to go from zero available to 3 in a few minute period? Very odd.

I may be onto you Disney! :wink:

I think the same thing… I am looking for a large table in March in Animal Kingdom- not a very busy time, or popular restaurant. Hard time getting it for weeks, and suddenly it was available.

The same thing happened for Le Cellier… I got a lunch reservation, and I tried for weeks… suddenly- 2 were available…

Coincidence? I think not.

I think you’re on to something!

And you get extra points for the word “shenanigans”. :laugh:

It only took me… how many years? I am slow to figure it out, but that is ok… :slight_smile:

It could also be that the closer to the date, the people who made the original reservations are cancelling some of them and as they are cancelled, they are put back into the system.

A different trick is to change the size of your party.
This is only a one way trick and works best if you’re only two people to start with.
I’ve gotten signature reservations (most recently California Grill) by bumping the number from 2 up to 5 and suddenly got a reservation and for exactly the time I wanted when only 2 minutes before I was told that there was nothing at all that night when I was just a party of 2.
They also seem to have no problem with you when you arrive and say there are only two because the other three had their plans change.

It’s certainly less problematic than if you had a reservation for 2 and 5 show up.

Normally I would agree with you, but this being CRT, I am just shocked how many have been available all of a sudden today.

Oh, and on your other trick Soundgod, I tried the reverse the other day and made a reservation for 6 at CM. Soon as I was done, I called on the line and asked if I could add one more. Not a problem… Just another trick.

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1096199]
Oh, and on your other trick Soundgod, I tried the reverse the other day and made a reservation for 6 at CM. Soon as I was done, I called on the line and asked if I could add one more. Not a problem… Just another trick.[/QUOTE]

That’s not what I would call the reverse at all.
The reverse would be to book for 6 and just show up with 7.
You simply modified your reservation in advance.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1096183]It could also be that the closer to the date, the people who made the original reservations are cancelling some of them and as they are cancelled, they are put back into the system.

.[/QUOTE]

I am going with this as the reason. CRT definately charges your card if you don’t cancel in their time frame.

CRT will charge your card as soon as you make the reservation if not on the DDP…

But, I was doing the same investigative work for our upcoming trip, and there was nothing for weeks on end- day and night to Tusker House for breakfast… then suddenly, 3 open up on the same day? I don’t think so :)! (Of course, this is just my theory, but I think that they released them that day.)

Yeah, we are on the DDP, I had opportunity to make reservations for CRT about a month and a half ago but the Disney site was messed up and wouldn’t let me associate our DDP with the resort reservation. I didn’t want the charge and have to figure that one out.

And SG, I meant you strategy of trying different party sizes to make my reservation. Yes, I didn’t show up with a different party size as you suggested, but I used it to at least get the reservation and then modify it. I meant reverse by saying that instead of making a reservation for a larger party, I made it smaller. Oh well, I may have conveyed my point incorrectly, I was just amazed that I can make a reservation for a different party size due to their system limitations, that part of your trick, even if I did modify it.

I agree with you Hanwill, we were able to get two different reservations today we couldn’t get even a few days ago, and in both cases, there were a few showing up. We got Tusker House and CRT both today. It was a great day for reservations. Now, if we can get an 'Ohana breakfast, we have everything we want.

Good luck!!! I have high hopes that you will get what you want.

Thanks Hanwill! Thanks to you guys as always. Always fun to try figure out something new, whether it works or not, or is right or wrong.

CJ there’re many more stories about people not being able to modify their reservations to increase guests than there are stories where it was no problem adding people.
And as many stories where someone was told if they wanted to add people, they needed to make a new reservation.

But, just like the NFL, on any given day, anything can happen, and probably will.

In the near future, I’ll relate a story about upgrading 5 day park hoppers to Florida resident APs after all 5 days have been used up.
We all know the rules, so I won’t go back over them, only to say that it pays to take the time to get the right CM on the phone to work out the problem before you return to WDW.

Good point SG, it is all who you get on the phone. But when it works, it feels great.

I don’t want you to think I am disputing you, I trust your opinion as always. It is just a good day when it all works out.

I was going to add that I don’t connect my dining to my room reservations until the last minute.
It isn’t really mandatory that you connect one to the other, even if you are on the dining plan.
But what’s this carp about being charged full price for a CRT meal long before you even sit down?
That’s wrong 12 different ways!

You are right. It is crazy. However you are charged when you make the resize for that meal if not on the DDP. Ask my credit card from last week. Ouch.

That’s just wrong Hanwill.
I can see and agree with the credit card deposit to hold the reservation and the penalty charge should you not make it or cancel.
Like I said, charging for x full meals before you’re even on property is wrong.

You know, SG just brought up something I didn’t notice by PM. Our reservations for CRT are during EMH. I didn’t pay attention to it, but he is right. Wonder how Disney does that? If you aren’t staying on property, do they let you make reservations? Is it showing available only because we associated our DDP? Interesting.

You are right Soundgod… it is wrong, but the $320 charge was no mistake- for 6 people…

I think it is crazy.

About the dining plan, and their no show- now we charge you policy… What happens if you all get a stomach virus one night, and you have a reservation the next day at lunch, etc… I cannot believe that they would charge you… but their new policy makes me think otherwise. $10 per person… not happy guests that would make.