Disney Dream - Kids Clubs

OK, we are booked and starting the paying and research. A major point of planning will depend on how much time my kids will spend in these clubs on board. I have a 5 year old girl who loves all things Disney Princess especially Ariel…a 9 yr old boy who likes sports, drawing, and video games…and a 12 yr old 7th grader who LOVES all things sports and video games as well.

We are a family that spends a TON of time together. Will they really break a way and what kind of things per age are there for them to do. I don’t mind them being with us 24/7 but if they are I need to plan differently as if they were not.

Thanks

[QUOTE=dadofthree;1136504]OK, we are booked and starting the paying and research. A major point of planning will depend on how much time my kids will spend in these clubs on board. I have a 5 year old girl who loves all things Disney Princess especially Ariel…a 9 yr old boy who likes sports, drawing, and video games…and a 12 yr old 7th grader who LOVES all things sports and video games as well.

We are a family that spends a TON of time together. Will they really break a way and what kind of things per age are there for them to do. I don’t mind them being with us 24/7 but if they are I need to plan differently as if they were not.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that Disney has well established age appropriate places that are well monitored. And my experience is that sometimes (especially at sea) it’s good not to have the five year old with the 12 year old.

I suspect the question you will have to ask is what you want out of the cruise? Hitting the beach upon port call is clearly an all-family event. While one is at sea, some alone time for all concerned is not a bad idea, especially with the wide range of ages. Just my two cents, as my entire cruise experience was haze gray and underway with the U.S. Navy. :pirate:

So - no midnight chocolate buffet then?

You know your kids best. Are they joiners? Are they shy? It’s really hard to say. Whether they join the clubs or not, there is so much to do onboard that I don’t think they can be bored (unless you’re a 15 year old girl - then you can be bored anywhere).:glare:

If they do want to give the clubs a try, suggest they go the first day - then everyone is new and feeling a little shy. After a few days kids will tend to break into little groups, and then it’s harder to fit in.

My oldest (12 yr old boy) will be GONE. My other 2 are hard to tell…it will just depend on whats going on at the clubs. We try to have fun and our kids like to be with us because they don’t want to miss anything we do bc we do try to have a good time. So, maybe we TELL them we are just going to lay around in the cabin all day and rest.

If you want to get rid of them (yeah, yeah, they’re great, you love them and enjoy spending time with them… but sometimes a break is much appreciated), telling them that you’re just going to rest in the cabin might do the trick. At least for the first day.

But if you’re really just curious if they’re going to like the kids’ clubs or not, then I’m afraid this is something you really aren’t going to be able to plan out in advance. It sounds like they will, based on the activities they like, but they might just enter at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I can tell you a story about yours truly on her first (and, to this day only) Disney Cruise -
My parents dropped me off at the kids’ club on the second day. I had toured the kids’ club when we were in port and saw the pirate slide in the younger kids’ club (which my sister and I were in), and I was excited. Well, my parents dropped us off and they immediately took us from the little kids’ club to the big kids’ club (which wasn’t as exciting to a 7-year-old) to do an arts and crafts project. You’d think I’d love it because I really enjoyed arts and crafts - we made glitter frames, and Mickey Mouse came to visit us! But no, I was crying because I was a weird little kid and worried/disappointed that we were in the wrong place. My 7-year-old self couldn’t just “go with the flow,” so they beeped my parents (a great system they have with Disney - you will be immediately notified if your kids need anything) who had to come pick us up… apparently it had only been half an hour or so. Two days later, our parents encouraged us to try out the kids club again (there may have been some bribery involved), and we absolutely loved it. We stayed in the little kids’ club and learned dance moves for a farewell show, did the farewell show (and got free t-shirts… always loved free things, and I actually still have mine… I believe they stopped doing that, though), and then went back for free play (which is what I was wanting/expecting the entire time).

I think the kids’ club is structured now so that it is majority free play with optional activities. There’s also a new set-up so that the kids of different age groups intermingle with one another, so you don’t have to worry about siblings being split up.

I’d recommend that you have them try it out early. Not so much for the little kids, but for the 12-year-old, these kids form cliques pretty quickly, so he needs to get in there on the first/second day. And check the activities schedule to see what they’re doing at that time and try to set them up with something they’ll enjoy. And if they’re control freaks like me, make sure they know exactly what to expect as to where it is and how long it will last.

Oh, we are signing them up for them as soon as we can…but like you said, we will be open to them staying by our side if need be.

Be sure to sign them in while waiting in the terminal to board. They will put their bracelets on and give you your phone. The line once on board gets long at the clubs to register them in.

Thanks, 10:30 too early to arrive at port

I do not recall what time doors open but getting there early should get you an early boarding number. More fun eating and swimming then staying in the terminal by getting there after others.

We are driving through WDW the morning before and going to eat at Chef Mickeys as soon as the ADR deadline hit…then on to take a tour of NASA and maybe some beach time or put-put the day and night before. We are staying at the Residence Inn there in Port Canaveral and their shuttle to port opens at 10 I think. So we will be right there and ready to go.

Pack a change of clothes (for dinner) and swimsuits in your carry-on bags - sometimes your luggage doesn’t get delivered to your room until the evening - doesn’t happen often, but you want to be prepared, just in case. And the kids will want to swim as soon as they get on board. Sometimes your:blush: room will be ready and sometimes not, so pack what you’ll need for the day.

According to some people on CruiseCritic, they have been receiving notices from the Cruise Lines not to come too early, because of the slow-down of customs personnel. People generally ignore this and come early anyway. 10:30 should be fine.