Disney for Maturing Families

Wow. I can’t believe a decision I made this morning. We’re not going to MNSSHP. :frown:

We’re meeting family for the weekend that we’ll be there, and originally, we were hoping that they’d all be available to go to the party. But, they’ll only bet there on Sat and Sun nights, and the party will be Thu, Fri and Mon, so IF we went, it would only be the 4 of us.

For the Friday night party, there is no advance purchase discount (read: Disney expects a crowd). For $240 for the 4 of us, it’s not worth it to us.

I confirmed the reservation last week, but it was actually about $200 more than I had budgeted, because I wanted parkhoppers (the pin only included basic MYW tix). So, for us to feel like we got great value out of the party tix, we’d feel obligated to stay late, and then we’d likely be tired the rest of the weekend.

We’ve been so fortunate over the years to be able to experience the MVMCP three times, so, it’s not so much that we’ve “been there, done that.” But, Disney trips have changed for us. We’re not as hot and bothered to do everything we possibly can. We focus more on good food, seeing some new things and really trying to have a relaxing and fun trip.

Has anyone else experienced this type of transformation?

I have. I decided this trip is do whatever we want whenever we want. My last few trips were setting the alarm clock so we can be out the door. Not this time. If my DD wants to sleep in till 10 well so be it.

I do want to go to MHSSHP because we never been but I haven’t purchased the tickets yet.

yep. for me it’s because I’ve done the majority of my ‘to do list’ twice or maybe even three times, so now i’m ‘seasoned’ i suppose. not old or anything. :wink:

We started visiting WDW when our girls were 8 and 9. They are now both in their 20s - and they still come with us. Even managing to have daddy pay for their airfare.:glare: It IS a transition - but it doesn’t mean that you have any less fun. We’ve left behind the special events and the character meals, but we’ve traded them for more upscale dining in the nicer restaurants, less racing around and more enjoyment of places like World Showcase.

We still do all our old favourites and enjoy them just as much. But you wouldn’t catch us in Mickey’s Toon Town Fair for all the tea in China!:laugh:

I am very fortunate that I live only 2.5 hours away from Disney so we go about 8-10 times a year. The thing we love about going so often is that we don’t need to kill ourselves going on everything!! There will always be next time. We always try to focus on something we have never done on each trip.

Matt, this happened to us about 10 years ago. We have times that we go now, and can be in and out of the MK in 3 hours! If the lines are too long, we just by-pass it and say that we will do it later in the week, or next trip. Also, we have many days that we are not in the park until 10, and leave well before park closing. Having enjoyed WDW for many years, it is not that we have lost the magic, but it has certainly changed.

Our youngest is now 20 and still enjoys the fact that she still loves her Mouse Time. Our last trip though was with our oldest 2 (23/26) for the F&W fest this past fall. Those 8 days were as enjoyable and totally different as any previous trips were we would do everything under the sun over the 8-10 days. Now we also take our time, hit the parks when we want to and if a line is too long we skip it and do something else. There are always a few ‘must do’ items that have become tradition, but we find ourselves spending more mom and dad time and relax, see or ride what we want, sleep in or spend the day by the pool. That was a luxury 3 youngsters did not allow previously. My mother always said that WDW was built for adults. I now understand what she meant.

When we first went we were out the door by 7am and never got to bed till after midnight. As the trips have gone on, we’ve relaxed somewhat, we spend less time rushing from show - to show - to ride etc and more time soaking up the atmosphere, seeing new things and taking it just that little bit slower. We still have an amazing time every single time we go and the holiday seems to last much longer!

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;960678]I have. I decided this trip is do whatever we want whenever we want. My last few trips were setting the alarm clock so we can be out the door. Not this time. If my DD wants to sleep in till 10 well so be it.

I do want to go to MHSSHP because we never been but I haven’t purchased the tickets yet.[/QUOTE]

Man, no alarm clock that sounds wonderful, that will never happen for us? That is as long as my sister is the leader of pack!:blink:

:mickey: Thank goodness it has changed for us too!! I couldn’t keep up that frantic pace anymore :laugh: Our youngest is 12 and now we are more relaxed in the morning but usually close the park!!

I want to see the Haunted Mansion w/Jack Skeleton as I’ve never been to MNSSHP. I’ll go alone if I gotta.

OK. So what’s the word on this? I’ve heard people mention Jack a few times, but I’ve heard that Jack and the Nightmare Before Christmas gang only appear in DL.

If there was a promise of the Haunted Mansion being souped up, then I might reconsider…

[QUOTE=MerlinMatt;960953]OK. So what’s the word on this? I’ve heard people mention Jack a few times, but I’ve heard that Jack and the Nightmare Before Christmas gang only appear in DL.

If there was a promise of the Haunted Mansion being souped up, then I might reconsider…[/QUOTE]

I’ve never seen it at WDW and I’ve been to MNSSHP twice now.

I agree that touring the parks changes over time - especially if you are fortunate enought to go often. It changes the pace and the goals. But it is still fun!