Disney Magical Express usage is down

Here’s an article.

Disney’s Magical Express: Fewer riding Disney’s Magical Express even though more flying into Orlando - OrlandoSentinel.com

Article said that usage is down almost 4% which translates to almost 70,000 guests.

Thoughts on why???

Frank

perhaps more people are now driving vs. flying to florida than in the past. with the cost of the tickets, getting there/parking at the airport, and the added “fees” - bags and what not, for many people driving is a more feasable option, especially if you are on the eastern side of the country.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. If I can’t find inexpensive flights, we always drive. With all the extra luggage costs, and hard to find cheap flights, I bet a lot of people are taking on that option.

>>e now driving vs. flying <<

That does make sense. I’ve never used the service, but I’ve heard some complain about the time factor in getting to the resorts. Some feel they lose valuable “Disney” time.
The article speaks of Universal drawing customers away, etc,… we were at WDW last week and it was PACKED!!
Saturday at Epcot, you had a tough time walking around World Showcase. This was our 8th F&W and I’ve NEVER seen lines like this at almost every booth.
Frank

>>With all the extra luggage costs, and hard to find cheap flights, I bet a lot of people are taking on that option<

makes lots of sense.
Frank

More and more people just don’t want to fly these days.
Between enhanced security and enhanced fees coupled with the check in 2 hours before departure, it is a sure bet that more people are driving.
We might want to check numbers of flying guests who are deciding to rent when they arrive as well as guest who would just rather get to their hotel quicker than ME does.
Yes, if your hotel is the first stop, you’ll get to your hotel fairly fast, but if there are several stops, it’s going to take much longer. That and if you arrange your own transport, you get to have your bags that much sooner as well.

Article talks about the “free ride” to WDW.
Sorry, but there is no free lunch as they say.
If it’s “free” why would Disney offer it. There has to be a charge built in or spread around somehow, either in the food, parks, or resorts.
Frank

We are probably all paying for it when we book a room at Disney. Whether we fly or not… Disney would not do it to lose money…

We fly, but opt out of ME because we rent a car.

We fly too and opt to get a town car.

[QUOTE=fjs08;1056347]Article talks about the “free ride” to WDW.
Sorry, but there is no free lunch as they say.
If it’s “free” why would Disney offer it. There has to be a charge built in or spread around somehow, either in the food, parks, or resorts.
Frank[/QUOTE]

It’s about as free as “free dining”.
Of course the costs for ME are spread around the Disney Resorts balance sheet to offset costs. Whether it is a couple bucks from every room booked or it’s just that more people taking ME are not getting the deeper discounts given to passholders, the money to pay for ME is covered one way or another, even if it’s covered by bumping the price of a bottle of water by $.20.

>>It’s about as free as “free dining”…the money to pay for ME is covered one way or another, even if it’s covered by bumping the price of a bottle of water by $.20.<<

Did you see the prices this year @ Food & Wine… and the portions <g>.
I enjoy F&W, but to be honest, if I had the choice between the Nürnberger Sausage in a Pretzel Roll at $4.25 or their Brat w sauerkraut for $ 6.88 I think, it’s a no brainer. I’d go for the Brat every time.
Frank

We’ve used ME several times and have never had a complaint. Now my complaints with airlines…MANY. I would think, like others have said, that it’s a decrease in airline passengers to Disney. I agree that ME isn’t “free” but it’s still a great deal. It’s one more thing that I don’t have to worry about. I’ve priced out vacations to other locations and we keep coming back to WDW because we can watch deals and come out cheaper. We spent a day at Six Flags over Texas and spent a couple of hundred, and we live here! If we go to San Antonio and go to Sea World for a weekend, we can easily spend $1000 in gas, food, hotel, tickets, etc., that’s 1/2 my week-long WDW trip right there!

Which Disney hotels are closest to the Airport?

On the route they take, Pop and then CBR just up the road.

Perfect!! I’ll be staying at POP! First stop yay! Because for my next trip, the landing is planned around 1PM so I guess with transportation from airport to hotel (ME)…check in and then catch a bus to get to the park (MK, kinda far from POP) that we wont be able to make it to the park before like 4PM, I was worried of the time “lost” on the ME that we would lose even more time spent in the park. But since our hotel is the first stop i’m happy :donald:

I would love to drive down, but no one wants to ride w/me for that long.

I wonder why not?

this past trip which ended oct 25th,we noticed more people had driven than ever before in the past,some of you have already touched on it,but another factor could be harry potter,we met going and coming people just going to orlando just for that,so besides the other theories,less flights less seats,more being occupied by non disney people,so when people wanted to go,it was more econmicalto drive…just a thought

also forgot that we met a group from ohio,part of the group was staying 3 days longer,the reason was one group made plans 2 weeks earlier and when the other part of the group went to make plans the air fares had doubled,disneyl ost out on an additional 4 days while these people were driving back and forth

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1056429]I would love to drive down, but no one wants to ride w/me for that long.

I wonder why not?[/QUOTE]

Try the Auto Train. Seriously. It’s a short drive from Philly to Lorton, Va and even shorter from Sanford to WDW.