Disney makes Star Wars parks expansion announcement!

Walt Disney announced on Saturday the creation of two massive “Star Wars” expansions at both its Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts.

The company’s CEO, Bob Iger, revealed the plans at Disney’s D23 Expo saying that the themed-land expansions, at 14-acres each, will be Disney’s largest ever.

The new “Star Wars” lands will be incorporated into the Disneyland park in Anaheim, California and Walt Disney World’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando, Florida.

The long-rumored expansion will allow “Star Wars” fans to be treated to main attractions like the chance to participate in an epic battle between the First Order and the Resistance and to take control of Han Solo’s iconic ship, the Millennium Falcon, on a special secret mission.

The company did not say when the announced expansions would be open to the public.

Now for my editorial comment:
I don’t know why Disney took so long to move this from the rumor zone to the “we’re gonna do it” zone. This has been known to be under serious consideration for at least 3 years now. I also wish they’d moved ahead with this and the Cars World project (again, only a rumor, for now) instead of blowing time, money, and effort on Avatarland. I’m still convinced that the long awaited second film is going to lay an egg and that egg will be all over Disney’s face for a half billion dollar gamble on a franchise that doesn’t seem to have legs and is now showing up on “Top 10 Movies That Actually Aren’t That Good” and “Top 10 Blockbusters That Aren’t Aging Well” lists.

I would love to experience a Star Wars adventure. Not so much Avatar.

I agree completely…really looking forward to the Star Wars expansion, but I’m afraid the Avatarland is going to be a huge flop.

Wow can not wait to see the Star Wars addition the Hollywood studios. I will have to figure out how to do a two week trip once all the additions are done.

Star Wars huh? Pretty cool stuff.
Hey SG what do you think open by
June 2016? That’s our next trip.

I’m with SOundgod, I’m worried about Avatar being a giant flop. At this point I have no interest in it. I’m sure I will see it but I’m thinking it’s a one and done for us but we’ll see.

Star Wars has proven it has staying power and this expansion is going to add some much needed life to Hollywood Studios.

[QUOTE=Franco54;1919095056]Star Wars huh? Pretty cool stuff.
Hey SG what do you think open by
June 2016? That’s our next trip.[/QUOTE]

I haven’t seen any dates but I would gJess we’ll be lucky to see this open by the summer of 2018. It will probably open in bits and pieces like Fantasyland but I can’t see this fully open in less than 3 years.

I think Avatar is going to surprise everyone. The Imagineers have a huge slate they can pull from, and that’s what they do best, immerse you into a magical world. I truly believe they will do a good job doing that.

As for Star Wars, it’s great news that Disney will have something to compete with Harry Potter. They finally seem to be catching up with the times.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1919095059]I think Avatar is going to surprise everyone. The Imagineers have a huge slate they can pull from, and that’s what they do best, immerse you into a magical world. I truly believe they will do a good job doing that.

As for Star Wars, it’s great news that Disney will have something to compete with Harry Potter. They finally seem to be catching up with the times.[/QUOTE]

I hope you’re right about both.

I just hope Disney spends the money to make this Stars Wars (and Toy Story) expansion great. The new Fantasyland is nice, Seven Dwarfs is cute and super popular but other than a restaurant that’s about all they really added. Thruthfully, for the time and money I think people were expecting more.

I’d say not to expect anything opening in DHS until late 2018. And that’s assuming groundbreaking next spring. Plus, remember how long it took between the opening of the Fantasyland area expansion and the opening of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, something like 18 months or more. For that matter, look how long the “transformation” of the MK Hub took from the day the first walls went up until the last walls came down.

As far as Avatarland, I remain unconvinced, even more so because I’ve seen rides originally themed one way sudden;y get a retheming while still under construction because the franchise they were basing the ride on turned out to be a dud. And I still think Avatar 2 is going to tank. Sometimes it’s better to wait and see if a cult audience builds over time to the point that they really need to include that one cough Jack Skellington cough.

I’m still mad that they are not putting a dedicated Cartland inside Hollywood Studios. Im sure Toystory land will be great- but Cars would have been incredible. The one at Disneyland is just like walking into the movie… it was incredible…

Me too. I was hoping to see carsland come to Florida, it looks amazing.

I’m still holding out hope for Carsland. But I think that’s going to depend on tearing out Streets of America and the auto stunt stadium.

I just hope the osbourne lights remain.

I still can’t believe the lights of winter are gone. sniff :crying:

Yes Jo-JO- me too…