Disney & Marvel Super Heroes

So ever since I heard about Disney’s buyout of Marvel Comics, I’ve been curious how that would be incorporated into the theme parks…

…especially since there’s another theme park in Orlando that relies heavily on Marvel characters for their themes. :huh:

Is WDW doing anything with this purchase or is their some legal situation that protects Universal Studios’ right to use these characters exclusively?

The contract Universal has with Marvel stipulates that NO Disney Park EAST of the Mississippi can utilize the characters until that current contract expires, even if we ended up buying Marvel, which of course now we own.

I’m really surprised that Disney hasn’t bought out that contract from Universal seeing as we could REALLY use those characters at DHS, particularly on the Streets of America.

In my neck of the woods Six Flags has two Marvel themed coasters, Batman and Superman. These are the keystone attractions for the park. I will be interested to see if they end up re-theming them.

-Harry

Perhaps they don’t want to purchase the contract because they don’t want Universal developing even more. Things sort of settled down there development-wise after Harry Potter World (which, of course, I have yet to go to).

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1104550]In my neck of the woods Six Flags has two Marvel themed coasters, Batman and Superman.
-Harry[/QUOTE]

Stop right there!

Batman and Superman ARE NOT MARVEL!
They are DC, which itself has been owned by Warner since the early 70’s.
That’s why all Batman and Superman movies are Warner, as well as every other member of the Justice League of America. (Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, et al).

Marvel, on the other hand, is Iron Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, The Hulk, Captain America, Nick Fury, and S.H.E.I.L.D., among others.

Six Flags has had the rights to all the Looney Tunes and DC characters since the late 70’s, in part because for a time, Warner was a part owner of Six Flags Inc.

This is one of the reasons that Cedar Fair was stuck licensing Peanuts. Between what Universal owned and licensed, Paramount’s rights to Hanna Barbera, Six Flags controlling Bugs Bunny and friends, and Disney’s properties, that’s about all that was left.
It’s also why Cedar Fair had to change the names of most of the coasters at Gueaga Lake when they bought it from Six Flags, and again why they’ve had to rename many rides in the parks they bought from Paramount.
They just don’t have rights to things like Star Trek, Top Gun, and Scooby Doo.

Dooh, right you are…

It would be FABULOUS for Disney to bring these comic book characters to the parks. My DH and DS would be in heaven. DH gets irritated with me all the time because I don’t know which are DC and which are Marvel.:blush:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1104558]Stop right there!

That’s why all Batman and Superman movies are Warner, as well as every other member of the Justice League of America. (Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, et al).

Marvel, on the other hand, is Iron Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, The Hulk, Captain America, Nick Fury, and S.H.E.I.L.D., among others.

Six Flags has had the rights to all the Looney Tunes and DC characters since the late 70’s, in part because for a time, Warner was a part owner of Six Flags Inc.

This is one of the reasons that Cedar Fair was stuck licensing Peanuts. Between what Universal owned and licensed, Paramount’s rights to Hanna Barbera, Six Flags controlling Bugs Bunny and friends, and Disney’s properties, that’s about all that was left.
It’s also why Cedar Fair had to change the names of most of the coasters at Gueaga Lake when they bought it from Six Flags, and again why they’ve had to rename many rides in the parks they bought from Paramount.
They just don’t have rights to things like Star Trek, Top Gun, and Scooby Doo.[/QUOTE]

Adding my 3 cents.
And since Marvel has the better superheroes with much more believable lives and issues this was one of the wisest purchases that Dis ever did. Xmen alone could have a whole park devoted just to itself.
(stepping off my retired comic colletctor geek ladder)

[QUOTE=Captain Bax;1104583]Adding my 3 cents.
And since Marvel has the better superheroes with much more believable lives and issues this was one of the wisest purchases that Dis ever did. Xmen alone could have a whole park devoted just to itself.
(stepping off my retired comic colletctor geek ladder)[/QUOTE]

Oh…you are soooooooo wrong! :pirate:

I’m willing to admit Marvel has by FAR had the better movies (exception: Hulk #1 and both Fantastic Four). Captain America is my favorite film. I can’t wait for the Avengers movie!

BUT the writing and character development in DC comics is greatly superior. Marvel’s Civil War was painful to read–I loved the premise, but the dialog was awful. (And then to undo the entire thing by claiming it was a Skrull trick???)

Hands down, the best Graphic Novels have been DC. “Identity Crisis” blew me away. “Kingdom Come” was incredible. And “Dark Knight Returns?” Simply the greatest superhero story ever told!

I will not weigh in on the DC-Marvel debate.
Over the years, both houses have created many memorable characters and stories.
But since the 60’s, Marvel, led by the likes of Lee and Kirby, have been the darker and grittier of the two.
However, since the advent of graphic novels, both have gotten much darker.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1104558]Stop right there!

They just don’t have rights to things like Star Trek, Top Gun, and Scooby Doo.[/QUOTE]

Hello Sheldon.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1104658]I will not weigh in on the DC-Marvel debate.
Over the years, both houses have created many memorable characters and stories.
But since the 60’s, Marvel, led by the likes of Lee and Kirby, have been the darker and grittier of the two.
However, since the advent of graphic novels, both have gotten much darker.[/QUOTE]

Easy with the graphic novels, ace. You’ll go blind.

Not Leonard?? Then again he might be closer to Walowitz.

You beat me to it! LOL Brilliant! So is the show.

I don’t get it:blink::huh:

I really don’t get it.:blink:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1104722]I don’t get it:blink::huh:

I really don’t get it.:blink:[/QUOTE]

I’m lost. :confused:

The only Sheldon I can think of is on Rocco’s Modern Life.
I don’t know what they’re talking about.

Really??? I mean Really???

Think “Big Bang Theory”.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1104737]Really??? I mean Really???

Think “Big Bang Theory”.[/QUOTE]

Oooooh! I don’t watch tv anymore. LOST was the last show I ever watched.

Our friends laugh at us for the fact that Pam and I find a show about 4 “post college graduate genius nerds” funny. Most just don’t get jokes. They do tend to go over many peoples heads. Their loss.