Disney offering buyouts to 600 execs at resort unit: WSJ

If the buyouts are not taken they face layoffs. Marketwatch story

It’s sad that so many people might lose their jobs. I think the economy is hitting Disney pretty hard this year.

They have been top heavy for a while now. They are looking to cut on the studio side as well. This is something we shareholders have been calling for for a while. Return to the basics and cut the bureaucracy that in some corners is clueless.

I saw this???

Disney CEO, Bob Iger, Receives $13.9 Million Bonus for 2008
1/19/2009 11:19 AM EST
Associated Press

It’s good to the president of the Walt Disney Company.

According to the Associated Press, Robert Iger is said to have received approximately $51.1 million in compensation for 2008. While, that is up substantially from the previous year (85%), most of the earning are said to be in stock options that were taken upon signing his new 5 year contract that extends through 2013.

The options were worth over $34 million when they were taken, however due to the fall of the stock prices, they aren’t worth anything at the moment. He also could have received a shareholder bonus worth $2.4 million, but declined it. Disney spokesman Jonathan Friedland said, “He thought it was the appropriate thing to do.”

Disney’s earnings were up 7% since last year, but the net profit was down by about 5%.

The $51 million in compensation also includes $107,897 for air travel, $645,368 for security and $14,400 for expanses such as annual physicals, gym membership and other various expenses.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;926563]I saw this???

Disney CEO, Bob Iger, Receives $13.9 Million Bonus for 2008
1/19/2009 11:19 AM EST
Associated Press

It’s good to the president of the Walt Disney Company.

According to the Associated Press, Robert Iger is said to have received approximately $51.1 million in compensation for 2008. While, that is up substantially from the previous year (85%), most of the earning are said to be in stock options that were taken upon signing his new 5 year contract that extends through 2013.

The options were worth over $34 million when they were taken, however due to the fall of the stock prices, they aren’t worth anything at the moment. He also could have received a shareholder bonus worth $2.4 million, but declined it. Disney spokesman Jonathan Friedland said, “He thought it was the appropriate thing to do.”

Disney’s earnings were up 7% since last year, but the net profit was down by about 5%.

The $51 million in compensation also includes $107,897 for air travel, $645,368 for security and $14,400 for expanses such as annual physicals, gym membership and other various expenses.[/QUOTE]

Well, isn’t that big of him. Giving up a whole 2.4 million because it’s the “appropriate thing to do”. But he has no trouble taking 51 million “compensation”. $645,368 for security? Is he really that precious? He can’t afford his own gym membership? Or medical insurance? Give me a break.:glare:

you have to read carefully. The actual compensation was nowhere near 51 million. The stock has dropped too much for that. His actual compensation was closer to 17. That’s a pretty big drop.

Sorry - at 17 million my heart’s still not breaking for him.:glare:

Buyouts and Layoffs.

Looks like we will have to get used to Snow White and the 4 dwarfs.

Cincy - That is a VERY funny joke!

Thanks… I’ll be here all week.

Don’t forget to tip your waitress.

[QUOTE=Cincy;926765]Buyouts and Layoffs.

Looks like we will have to get used to Snow White and the 4 dwarfs.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it is actually 1. Dopey was the only one we saw on our last trip. I remember when all seven used to wonder around together.