Disney parks chief: Fantasyland expansion plans are changing

Disney is redrawing the sweeping Fantasyland expansion plans it laid out last year, even as bulldozers clear land for the project inside the Magic Kingdom.

With the revisions, begun under new Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs, designers are attempting to rebalance the plans, which initially tilted heavily towards young girls by emphasizing attractions and experiences built around Disney’s stable of animated-movie princesses.

“We took a hard look at it amongst a number of us and said, ‘Can we make the appeal broader? Can we make it even better?’ “ Staggs said during an interview this week with the Orlando Sentinel.

The Fantasyland expansion is a critically important project for Disney. The Magic Kingdom, the busiest theme park in the world, now draws more than 17 million visitors a year and needs added capacity to ease pressure on crowds inside the park. The project, billed as the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history, also comes as Disney World faces heightened competition from Universal Orlando, where the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter has drawn rave reviews — and enormous crowds — since opening in June.

Staggs declined to discuss specific changes to the Fantasyland plans, saying Disney would unveil them “in due course.”

The original plans called for a lavish indoor ride based on the movie The Little Mermaid, a trio of interactive princess character-greeting areas, an elaborately themed Beauty and the Beast restaurant, an expanded Dumbo attraction for young children, and a vaguely defined fairies-themed area.

read more here

I wish they wouldn’t say that and not give details! Now I am really curious!
Villians area! Villians area! Hope “they” are listening!

Villains area! I agree! I am pretty excited about the Villains exhibit that they have. I don’t think the villains get any respect.:fork_off:

I can’t believe they put the words Disney, Universal, and competition in the same sentence. There’s no way Universal can ever compete with Walt Disney World no matter what they put in the park. We’re so much bigger with so much more to offer. Our competition is Las Vegas, Hawaii, Europe, and the like.

I am glad for Universal that at least this year, they will have positive guest attendance, as the past several years has decreased in attendance every year, but they’ll never be on the same level. Even our least visited park, DAK, gets an average of 3 million more guests than both parks of Universal combined every year.

Sorry to go off on that tangent. Yay for new plans :laugh:

[QUOTE=zoey9797;1044587]I wish they wouldn’t say that and not give details! Now I am really curious!
Villians area! Villians area! Hope “they” are listening![/QUOTE]

Did you click the “read more?” It says the new “guy” has 3 sons, so he stepped back and took a look at the plans . . .

[QUOTE=RowdyRAider;1044605]I can’t believe they put the words Disney, Universal, and competition in the same sentence. There’s no way Universal can ever compete with Walt Disney World no matter what they put in the park. We’re so much bigger with so much more to offer. Our competition is Las Vegas, Hawaii, Europe, and the like.

I am glad for Universal that at least this year, they will have positive guest attendance, as the past several years has decreased in attendance every year, but they’ll never be on the same level. Even our least visited park, DAK, gets an average of 3 million more guests than both parks of Universal combined every year.

Sorry to go off on that tangent. Yay for new plans :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Rowdy I am SO WITH YOU ON THIS!!!

All my friends are trying to get me to go to Universal - I just CAN’T DO IT!!

Disney is the most magical place on earth and my heart is SO HAPPY when I am there . . . and HP is soooooooooo over-rated!! :whistling

Every friend that has visited has given up . . . there are LINES for the LINES!! LINES for the stores (BTW you can by all the same stuff in the big store at the front of the park) and everyone says “It’s so cool, but it not Disney!” :wink:

Not to bash anyone, but Disney has set the BAR so high - it’s so hard for us to go anywhere else. See ya real soon! :mickey:

Visit at Halloween time . . . my Mickey Monitor this month says the stage show is going to expanded to include “EVEN MORE VILLAINS!!”

I’m so happy to hear this. As the mother of a boy it’s no fun to hear about MORE princess stuff being added. WDW is already princess heavy, the last thing I feel they need to do is add more. I hope the changes include some things that aren’t geared toward just girls. It doesn’t have to be all boy but not princess–please!

The one and only time we went to Universal, each of my boys at different times asked “Can we go back to Disney now?” It was a fun day, but definitely not Disney, and even children picked up on that.

I’m with Disney Teacher, I’ve got two boys who just roll their eyes at the princess stuff. They are older now, so it’s not as big of a deal, but when we started going in the beginning, they were at a good age to have enjoyed a Prince here and there, and some focus on boys stuff.

“We took a hard look and realized that virtually everything we’ve added in the last 5 years has been aimed at girls 4-14 while we totally iced out boys of all ages all across the property”.

I can fill you all in a small piece of the puzzle:
“The Boss Mouse Dancing Fountain House.”

I think Villians would be awesome and a cool villian ride that everyone wants to try would be good too…they need a ride that appeals to older kids.

I was thinking the same exact thing!!! Maybe a male hero character meal?

Lisa

[QUOTE=RowdyRAider;1044605]I can’t believe they put the words Disney, Universal, and competition in the same sentence. There’s no way Universal can ever compete with Walt Disney World no matter what they put in the park. We’re so much bigger with so much more to offer. Our competition is Las Vegas, Hawaii, Europe, and the like.

Sorry to go off on that tangent. Yay for new plans :laugh:[/QUOTE]

If anything WDW helps Universal b/c most people that go to universal go to wdw but they do not come to the area specifically for universal and do a side trip to WDW.

Is that clear?! :wacko:

lISA

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1044620]I can fill you all in a small piece of the puzzle:
“The Boss Mouse Dancing Fountain House.”[/QUOTE]

Boss,
Since they can’t fill it with BEER what are you planning on filling your fountain with?

I think that adding more things for boys would be great. I have 2 DDs but I am sure that they would LOVE:wub: things beyond the princesses. By the time this is completed my girls will be 9 and 12 but I think they will LOVE Disney forever just like me:mickey:

I agree, adding more boy stuff at MK would be a plus. It would be cool if they added on to the Pirates area.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1044672]Boss,
Since they can’t fill it with BEER what are you planning on filling your fountain with?[/QUOTE]

Champipple. That’s half ginger ale and half Ripple (original recipe):dry:.

The real thing to hook boys would be to do a massive astronaut/future explorers expansion of Tomorrowland (and add more rides!!!)

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1044620]I can fill you all in a small piece of the puzzle:
“The Boss Mouse Dancing Fountain House.”[/QUOTE]

Now, will we have buy the tutu’s or will be able to rent them? :smile: