"Disney People"

WARNING: RANT AHEAD

It’s official. DGF and I have been labeled by a lot of the people we know as “those Disney People”. And not in a good way.

No one understands why we love to go to WDW so much. “Most” think it’s for kids, the better rides are at US (both parks) or BG, and that they would get bored after visiting WDW once every 5 years.

In fact, many people now joke around by saying (imagine a nasally voice) “where are you two going this weekend, Disney”? And usually it’s a gigantic “YES”.

Naturally it’s followed up with funky facial expressions and eye rolling (this has happened to both of us at least 10 – 12 times now in recent months).

Now, DGF has a couple of friends who are both humongous Disney fans like us so they are pretty much the only ones who can relate. But even one’s husband and the others BF, while supportive, don’t “get it”.

Personally I get ribbed really badly by friends and co-workers. They can’t understand why a childless guy would be so “into” the world… and in fact, there are plenty of sexually discriminatory exclamations expressed in a joking manner that are used to describe my enthusiasm with Disney, if you catch my drift. That’s on top of certain mental disorders they claim that I should have because I like Disney “so much”.

And take the two TR’s I did during the Spring of this year. While Mackenzie, my Mom and my little Sis LOVED them, the handful of close friends that I showed them to thought I was off my rocker. They were all like “why would you post that “stuff” to strangers whom you don’t know? And why would anyone care? Are you crazy?” You get the idea…

Now keep in mind, I WORK in the “amusement and entertainment” business where many of my clients own & operate amusement facilities and operations around the US and Canada. So you would THINK people in the biz could relate. And yes, I do have plenty of clients who love the fact that I really LOVE the amusement biz as a whole including Disney. But there have been more than two handfuls of folks (mainly in my company aside from my group of friends) that just don’t “get it”.

Pretty sad huh? :huh:

Look, I had a US/IOA annual pass for 15 years plus (until ’06 when I became VERY bored w/the two parks on top of the fact it was getting a little “ghetto” IMO :whistling) as well as BG AP (dropped in ’08 because of the same reasons). So it’s not like I hate those parks, it’s just that Disney never gets boring. To me. The World has so much to offer that there are STILL things we haven’t done as of yet. How cool is that?! And sure, we’re usually at EPCOT but we don’t discriminate… We have “love” for all of the parks and resorts at the world.

And another thing people don’t seem to understand is that for us, it’s not about the rides. The rides are the frosting & cherry on top of the cake. To me, it’s about the overall “experience”. You know, the theming/decor, the shows, nostalgia, art, music, landscaping, restaurants, events, and oh yeah, the rides. And from a monetary perspective, we save a ton of cash w/an AP from AAA along w/TIW. So thats a big factor as well.

I just hate that we are labeled in a derogatory & discriminating manner on top of being made to feel like a bunch of weirdoes because we like to spend a lot of time at WDW.

Now please don’t get the impression that these people are incessantly “harassing” me/us or being “inappropriate” with their actions, because it’s not an everyday “issue”. Plus, I let it all roll off my shoulders…

But I do think it stinks to high heaven that it has to be an “issue” with people, you know?

No, I do not have a contagious disease or a mental problem. I just love Disney. INCLUDING most of the movies (yes, there have been some total “blanks”. Ever see “A Wrinkle In Time” (my fav book series as a child)? Or “Tarzan”?)

I can’t help that I “grew up Disney” (thanks to my Mom) and that I never grew out of it. We we’re a Disney family then and we still are now. And when I have kids, we will also be a Disney family (on the converse, I have heard from plenty of people (co-workers, ex girlfriends, etc…) that I will be the “coolest” Dad in the world so thats cool I guess).

But I AM starting to feel like a weirdo… Perhaps being a fan of Disney is NOT normal? But what IS normal? :blink:

Oh well, it is what it is…

:happy:

Well if it’s any comfort you are not alone! As you probably know we have been trotting across the pond for the last twenty two years, sometimes twice a year if we are lucky, and oh boy the comments we get! “Going to America again!!!” (You betchya!!) “Dont you get bored” (errr NEVER) “Is Chelsey going with you” ( YES again, she’s born and bred a Disney girl) But our comments usually come from those who have never been fortunate to experience WDW. Those who do, suddenly ‘get it’ they can see why we go back year after year after year.
So, PB amongst other Disney-fans you are more than understood.

I get it, we get it. Somestimes people are just jealous that you have a thing that makes you so happy. Disney is just a happy feeling to me so I agree with you.

I totally get it! My co-workers used to say similar things, but now I am the goto person for questions about trips. Many of them are now taking their children/grandchildren. Unfortunately we have not gone since last year and it feels like forever!!!

My kids recently watched “A Wrinkle in Time” on Netflix and I just kept thinking…“This is Disney??”

Why do you think Mousebuzz is so popular? It’s because people here “get it” and you don’t have to defend your love of the Mouse.

Around here everyone has summer cottages - every weekend everybody is off to the cottage; we had a cottage. It’s fun when you’re a kid; when you grow up and are responsible for two houses - it’s not so much fun anymore. It’s never ending work, taxes on two properties, upkeep, endless packing…the sand - dear Lord! the sand!:pinch: So, we sold the cottage. We call “WDW” our cottage now. And if our friends (one of them calls WDW the Evil Kingdom:glare:) don’t get it - tough! I just tell them - you have your cottage, we have ours.

We get all the same remarks:
Them: “Dear Lord - you’re not going there AGAIN”
Us: “Oh yes we are!”
Them: “WHY???”
Us: “Because we love it”
Them: “There are so many other places to go!”
Us: “We do go other places, but Disney is our home”.
Them: “Weird”.
Us: “Well, not to us.”
Them: “What a waste of money!”
Us: "How’s that new septic tank you had to install working out for ya?

[QUOTE=dixie;1082409]Well if it’s any comfort you are not alone! As you probably know we have been trotting across the pond for the last twenty two years, sometimes twice a year if we are lucky, and oh boy the comments we get! “Going to America again!!!” (You betchya!!) “Dont you get bored” (errr NEVER) “Is Chelsey going with you” ( YES again, she’s born and bred a Disney girl) But our comments usually come from those who have never been fortunate to experience WDW. Those who do, suddenly ‘get it’ they can see why we go back year after year after year.
So, PB amongst other Disney-fans you are more than understood.[/QUOTE]

Wow, Dixie, you “get it” too eh?

I wish I could agree with the “Those who do, suddenly ‘get it’” statement but unfortunately, everyone that I’m talking about has been to WDW before… but they’re just not “into it”.

For them, it’s just a place to take visiting family members or friends from out of town because it’s the “touristy” thing to do you know? It’s only a 70 minute drive down the road for us…

I agree… It is a “happy feeling” :happy:

but I don’t think its jealousy either… I wish it was.

It’s just they’re not “into” it.

Now for example, I’m not into “country music”, “line dancing” or country bars… But I don’t rag on people for enjoying those things. Maybe a “little” joking rib or two but I don’t make people feel like they’re weird for liking such things (such as the magnitute of the ribs & obnoxious comments we get).

In fact, all of my “Fair” (you know, county & state fairs) clients have many country acts playing their venues so even though I don’t like it, it’s a fact of life.

Plus many an ex GF has dragged me to a country bar one time or another just so they can line dance. It might seem a little silly to me personally because it’s not my thing, but I don’t go around ragging on people because they like it.

Everyone is having a great time and after a couple of beers, so am I…

So it’s all good… Plus, when DGF wanted to see Kenny Chesney (like she recently did), I thought, what a great time for a “girls night out” you know??? :laugh:

Sans obnoxious ragging of course… That’s just not my style…

We have friends that feel the same way and do the same eye roll, funny squinty face thingy, some have never even been to Disney. You are not a weirdo, you’re just not afraid to embrace your inner child like the rest of us here on MB. Some people just don’t get it, you’re either a Disney lover or a Disney hater…I am proud to say that I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!:heart::heart::heart:

[QUOTE=tiptonsara;1082415]

My kids recently watched “A Wrinkle in Time” on Netflix and I just kept thinking…“This is Disney??”[/QUOTE]

It was so cheesy right?!!!

I know that books rarely translate well as a movie but geez, they slaughtered that story! :laugh:

I soooo get it. You are very normal to us here on MB. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Disney!! Yes, It is on my mind ALOT!!! Planning trips,ADR’s,etc. I love it all. I got to the point where,I just don’t care anymore what people think. If my friends or family does not like Disney, fine, go to where you like going but leve my Disney alone. I do not get bothered by it much so it is not a big problem,yet. I don’t like the beach,much, and Disney is close enough for me to get there in a few hours. Like you, it is the whole expirience for me. The atmosphere is the best. I feel like a kid with no worries. I need that break from home and thats just the place I go to escape my stress and worries,even if it is for a little while. Do not feel bad for being crazy for Disney, all of us here on MB totally get where you are comming from.

[QUOTE=llama;1082418]Why do you think Mousebuzz is so popular? It’s because people here “get it” and you don’t have to defend your love of the Mouse.

Around here everyone has summer cottages - every weekend everybody is off to the cottage; we had a cottage. It’s fun when you’re a kid; when you grow up and are responsible for two houses - it’s not so much fun anymore. It’s never ending work, taxes on two properties, upkeep, endless packing…the sand - dear Lord! the sand!:pinch: So, we sold the cottage. We call “WDW” our cottage now. And if our friends (one of them calls WDW the Evil Kingdom:glare:) don’t get it - tough! I just tell them - you have your cottage, we have ours.

We get all the same remarks:
Them: “Dear Lord - you’re not going there AGAIN”
Us: “Oh yes we are!”
Them: “WHY???”
Us: “Because we love it”
Them: “There are so many other places to go!”
Us: “We do go other places, but Disney is our home”.
Them: “Weird”.
Us: “Well, not to us.”
Them: “What a waste of money!”
Us: "How’s that new septic tank you had to install working out for ya?[/QUOTE]

Thats why I felt comfortable “ranting” here on MB… Because of like minded individuals like y’all… :blush:

And what a GREAT retort! :laugh:

I don’t even bother to justify myself, anymore. Everyone always says, “Why would you want to go to Disney? Universal is WAY better!” I just tell them that I like Disney better, and if they push it any further, I change the subject.

Universal is alright, but… it’s boring to visit over and over, unlike Disney. And they definitely lack Disney detail and magical touches.

I have never showed my TRs to anyone I know personally unless they’ve asked. I have some fellow Disney-loving friends that ask me to send them the link to my TR when they know I’ve just gone to WDW. But that’s it. No one in my immediate family has ever read my TRs. :laugh: My father and sister definitely don’t have the patience for it. My mother would probably enjoy reading them, but she’s not very tech-savvy.

I think all of the people here on MB have gone through the same thing. It’s like the others don’t understand it’s okay to be in a carefree, happy place. I get the rolled eyes, and questioned on how I can go there again, but these are the same people who go to Vegas every time they get a chance, but I don’t start with them on questioning how they can go there again, etc. There’s something about Disney that gives the green flag to judge, and I haven’t been able to nail it down as to why. All I know is it makes me happy and a sense of peace when thinking of it. And, in this crazy world, you need to have something like that to keep you sane. Just think that you have been blessed that you have seen the light and get to enjoy it!

Sorry that you are having to deal with this issue. It is their loss that they don’t understand Disney and the joy that is brings to us. I wish I got to go often enough for people to razz me about it LOL!
I love to go to the beach also, it is relaxing and peaceful to me. My husband and I get grief from people about always going to a beach (usually only 3 times a year for a week at a time). I think people just want to have something to whine about LOL!!

one of our adjusters at work heard dh and i ae going back to disney in September for our anniversary… he asked why has anything changed since November… well yes there have been changes… unlike his racing addiction where everyone just turns left… … or the people who spend alot of money every year to go the same beach , stay in the same condo… I am not criticizing i love the beach for a few day.s. basically we all have our happy places… Disney is ours. when i get really stressed I walk down main street in my mind just for a few minutes… I see the castle… my friends who know this thinks Im nutz… I tell people disney is cheaper then counseling and is a better stress reliever… . :laugh:

EXACTLY! Somehow it’s perfectly ok to take 3 or 4 trips a year to gamble, drink and party. I know people who go down, spend the entire time totally wasted, never sleep, gamble all their money away, get back on the plane and arrive looking like death warmed over. And they do it over and over. But somehow that’s ok.

Anyone who gives me a strange look when I start to talk about my umpteenth trip I just say, “Different strokes for different folks.” I can’t understand why anyone would want to go to the Grand Canyon time and again. I’ve been there once and had my fill but I don’t fault them for going over and over. :slight_smile:

People do not even bother to give me their opinions on my trip reports. Family members have commented in jest that I can only hold a conversation about disney world and work…well that’s a little true, but not entirely. If you saw the way my face lit up when I talked about a pending trip, you would have serious be asking for a lashing if you had the nerve to comment on my love and passion for WDW trips.

People who seriously think it’s ok to make comments of any kind that are negative about what you love to do seriously aren’t friends. They sound a little jealous to me. Maybe one day they will find something that brings them happiness and understand you. Until then, I wouldn’t even bother to acknowledge them.

I deal with this “crap” daily. People just do not understand. However, I have to tell you, when those people finally decide to go on their first trip, they come to ME. Do they always take my advice? No. But usually those that don’t complain that they didn’t. Do they stop harassing me? Usually not, but so be it. We love Disney!

I really love Disney and I don’t care what others, including some of my family, think. I just wish I lived closer to Disney so I could have AP’s and visit at a more relaxed pace. I always feel like I am rushing to get the most done for my money.
I have at least converted my daughter who is researching the college program. It is one of her must do’s and I plan to visit her as often as I can!

Funny, I have tried to give my ds information on the college program. His response…“this is your dream, Mom. Not mine.” Oh well, can’t hurt to try. But, this is the same son who will be in his second year of college and was totally upset that we weren’t including him in our September trip.