Disney Phones

I’m planning to take a group of tweens/teens to the World next summer and something came to mind while watching the planning video. Does anyone know if WDW has the Disney phones, similar to the pay as you go, for rent while staying in the park? If so a price or link on more info. Would be a great way to keep tabs on everyone since some of the girls don’t have their own phone while on the trip. In the video the group of kids were given phones but didn’t know if that was just a promo or not.
Help pleeze!

I don’t know of anything like that. But since disney seems to charge a lot to rent things, it might be cheaper to just keep an eye out for sales. I just took a quick look at tmobile to go and they had a phone with a 25 dollar calling card for 20 bucks. It might just be a basic phone, but that’s all you would need.

don’t know a lot about phones-2-go. Do you have to contract like the reg ones? That may be the less expensive alternative. Meebe if I could convince the parents to buy the phones i’d pay for the minutes from group funds otherwise whatever would I do with “5” phones :phone:lol

We use tmobile pay as you go phones. But we don’t use cell phones everyday. I would check out their website. I don’t want to give you bad info about them. The parents can buy them for the kids, get so many mins and when the kids come home, stash the phones. Depending on how many min you buy, determines the cost per min, and the length the mins are good for. We buy 100 dollar card which gives us 1000 min with a year to use them. This is great for us. For my DS, that would be about one month’s worth.

thanks jo-jo. i’ll definitely check into that if i don’t stumble across any dis-phone info.

The phones in the video must be the kim possible thing over at Epcot

Well i’ve found a link to the plan:

Disney Mobile family cellphone service helps parents keep track of kids - USATODAY.com

but unless the phones are a special design for Disney parks, the ones in the video must be for promo only. Found a Pooh shaped one… but no Mickey.:sad:

That article is from 2006. I thought Disney got out of the phone business. I am pretty sure that doesn’t work.

Yeah, Disney Mobile ended, last year.

I don’t think Disney has anything like that available. You might be thinking of the new Kim Possible attraction which uses LG cell phones.

I’d suggest just purchasing some pay-as-you-go phones before you get there… or just use the buddy system.

But you know… back in the day, Walkie-Talkies worked wonders! :laugh:

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;966152]Yeah, Disney Mobile ended, last year.

I don’t think Disney has anything like that available. You might be thinking of the new Kim Possible attraction which uses LG cell phones.

I’d suggest just purchasing some pay-as-you-go phones before you get there… or just use the buddy system.

But you know… back in the day, Walkie-Talkies worked wonders! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Well, that just:mad: Not sure what the KP phones are. Went back and watched the vacate planner for 2009 and they’re still making a big deal about giving them to kids. They are the disney phones. A whole section in itself of kid fun following text’s. Hello corporate…need to update,lol.

We’ll probably just buddy the girls w/o a phone with one that has one. We used to use Walkie-Talkies. Still do while caravaning. Easier to relay message for an exit rather than trying to dial everyone. Stopped using them in the parks though, too much interferrance from other parties and too confusing constantly switching channels.
Oh well, thanks for the help on this

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;966154]Well, that just:mad: Not sure what the KP phones are. Went back and watched the vacate planner for 2009 and they’re still making a big deal about giving them to kids. They are the disney phones. A whole section in itself of kid fun following text’s. Hello corporate…need to update,lol.

We’ll probably just buddy the girls w/o a phone with one that has one. We used to use Walkie-Talkies. Still do while caravaning. Easier to relay message for an exit rather than trying to dial everyone. Stopped using them in the parks though, too much interferrance from other parties and too confusing constantly switching channels.
Oh well, thanks for the help on this[/QUOTE]

How about sending a question to anita answer at allearsnet.com? She would love to get something a little out of the ordinary to answer :wink:

Oh, I know exactly what you are talking about, now - the “kids at WDW” portion of the vacation planning video!!!

Yeah, that was definitely their Disney Mobile line that ended, last year. They weren’t pay-as-you-go phones, either, and you couldn’t rent them. The video is definitely misleading. That was their attempt at advertising Disney Mobile. I thought the kids were obnoxious, “Oh, I got a TEXT MESSAGE.” Give me a break - you’re twelve!

Disney Mobile was really just like any other cellular company, though. You could get special Disney games and ringtones, but they didn’t have a wide selection of phones, nor did they advertise to a wide audience, which is probably why it went under.

I have to say I’ve never heard of anything like that but it would be a good idea. Especially when big high school groups go it could be a good way to keep track of the kids.

I know what you’re talking about on the planning video. It’s in the “Just for Kids” section (or whatever it’s called), not the main show. I think it’s just the old Disney phones for regular use that are no longer available. It’s more than likely just a promotional thing. Yes, time for an update Disney Corporate!

Thanks all for the help, esp now that I know I didn’t “misunderstand” what I was seeing but rather it was “misleading”.
And yes, it would be a great idea to have some type of communication available for groups, say 12-17 yrs. I know my 14 yr is wayyyy past the princess thing and would rather not use her valuable WDW time standing around waiting for autographs with lil’sis. If it’s not somethng they’d offer to the general public then maybe at least to their Disney Youth Education Series programs, which btw is a HUGE money saver for anyone who can come up with 10+ kids to go at the same time (but that’s another thread isn’t it:tongue:)
What is this Kim Possible thing about? DS just ran in here telling me she saw something on Dis Channel but didn’t hear details.

are the kids all sticking together or going out in groups? I know virgin mobile has cheap pre paid phones. Also Tmobile. How about walkie talkies?

Love walkies. Still use them while traveling in diff cars. Matter of fact me & DH use them when we divide & conquer in stores on Black Friday:tongue: but in amusement parks we’ve picked up too many mixed transmissions, even after switching channels. Good idea though.

13+ gets to group off together while 10-12 stays with chaperones. These are my scouts i’ve had since 1st grade so I trust they’ll be safe (should be with all the drilling) just want to have communication in case of changes. Guess we could always send up smoke signals or use morse code mirrors:laugh:

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;966253]Love walkies. Still use them while traveling in diff cars. Matter of fact me & DH use them when we divide & conquer in stores on Black Friday:tongue: but in amusement parks we’ve picked up too many mixed transmissions, even after switching channels. Good idea though.

13+ gets to group off together while 10-12 stays with chaperones. These are my scouts i’ve had since 1st grade so I trust they’ll be safe (should be with all the drilling) just want to have communication in case of changes. Guess we could always send up smoke signals or use morse code mirrors:laugh:[/QUOTE]

Thats so cool that they are scouts. I was thinking of taking over my DDs troop next year and would love to take the girls to WDW with their cookie money but I seriously doubt the parents would go for that.

Oh, it’s in World Showcase - their attempt to make WS appeal to tweens and teens (that are “too old” for the masks but too young to drink! :laugh:). You go to the station and are assigned a “mission” that looks like a FP. You’re given an LG cell phone and with that phone you can make all sorts of neat things happen around World Showcase.

Here’s the thread with more information - http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/wdw-theme-parks/48379-kim-possible-world-showcase-adventure.html

Best experience you and your daughter will ever have, well except for WDW. Seriously though if you’ve ever thought about it once don’t think twice and just DO IT! They’ll be grown b4 you know and there’s so much crap on the streets as it is it’s nice to know you can share some good values and clean fun.

Last year I took them to Sea World/Schlitterbahn TX for 4 days, this summer we’re going to Branson, MO and if we accumulated enough cookie dough we’ll go to WDW next summer. Only way to afford is if we stay at SOG or AS’s (Fort Wilde isn’t considered) AND Disney’s Youth Education Series. Check it out. 4 parks + personal behind the scene tour for $132 and adults get the same rate, which is good since the parents won’t let me take the girls that far/that big w/o them.