Disney photo tips

I came across this link when I was searching for ways to improve my nighttime photography. I really do need a tutorial in all that shutter speed mess but I really liked this person’s page. You should see some of the GORGEOUS nightime shots they have from both WDW & DL Resort!!!:heart: Anyway, I know I’ve been yappin’ now for a year that I need to buy a tri-pod and I still need to do that :ohmy:. Considering I am leaving in 3 days I better get to Best Buy soon!! :laugh:

Anyway, thought this may be helpful, make sure to check out their Disney photo gallery also (under “home” link).

Disney Desktops @ Rocket9.net

BE WARNED: I just bought a 2 GB memory card today. :laugh: Trip report may be a little lengthy this time. :nuke:

OH, and if anyone wanted to add any tips, etc. please feel free.

Thanks for the link Wishy! I’ll read it tomorrow when I’m more coherent!

I need to find a way to get great night time shots, too. I have a good camera, according to Consuer Reports, but my night time pics SUCK!!! I guess I just have to play with it more…or read the instruction booklet…or buy a tripod. But I dont’ want to carry that thing around with me all day! :laugh:

these pics look like pics they put on postcards…just awesome!

Cool site. I need tips on taking pictures. Mine are terrible most of the time and just acceptable the other times:laugh: I look forward to your LONG report filled with many pictures. There is no such thing as a report being to long or having to many pictures. :heart:

Pretty cool link! I too am hoping to get a crash course in photography here. The only tip I have gotten recently is this:

When shooting men’s faces: have the camera on direct level with their face.

When shooting women’s faces: hold the camera slightly above their face and tilt slightly downward.

This apparently helps hide a double chin?!?! :huh: Not sure of the validity of the claim as I have not put the tip into practice yet.

Oh! Can’t wait to read the TR!

Just a piece of advice if you’re going digital and can change your ISO…I learned this hard way when covering a men’s ice hockey game. If you up your ISO too much you’ll get images that have too much pixel visibly showing and the colors will be a bit off.

You really need to play with your camera at home to know how it works. I’m working with two cameras both Canon brand and to get good indoor shots or night time shots I have to do two slightly different things. So definitely play at home before you go and you won’t be disappointed.

Oh here’s a couple more things I found useful in shooting fireworks.

If you’re camera has ‘continuous shooting’ or ‘burst mode’ (this means you press down the shutter and it takes several shots instead of one) you have a better chance of getting a good shot among the 4-5 the camera takes.

Also if you zoom out a bit you have a wider field of vision for focusing so more of the image (like the castle and fireworks) will be clear. You can enlarge and crop your image later and it will look like you used a telephoto lens to get that upclose, clear photo.

GREAT website!

Thanks for that link! I’ll be putting that to good use!!:happy: :cool:

I have “burst” but my camera says “this feature is not available when camera shutter speed is set to slower than 0.5 seconds.”

That stinks!!!

Wouldn’t I have to use a slower shutter speed than 0.5 seconds to get good firework pictures?

What is ISO? And what kind of Canon cameras do you have? I have a pretty new (Christmas) Canon A710 IS.

I have the exact same problem with my nighttime shots and some of the fast moving objects at times too!:glare:

I have to figure out what I’m doing too!

Kim, you have to check out the Gorillapod. This thing is so tiny but flexible. I can literally fit it in my smallest purse. You can wrap this thing around a poll, on a fence, put it on top of a trashcan, bench, etc. It rocks!!

I also have another problem. When I use a slower ISO I am still getting a slight shake in the photo because I still have to PRESS the shutter button. I do not have a remote for shutter release and my “timer” is TEN SECONDS!! :glare:

Any suggestions?

On a film camera the ISO has to do with the film speed on a digital sensitive you camera’s sensor is to light. The higher the ISO the more sensitive your camera is to light…so for low light settings you want to up the ISO.

Shutter speed is how fast or slow the shutter stays open and the digital sensor is exposed. The faster the shutter the less light goes into the camera. The slower the shutter the more light goes in but you’re also susceptible to shake issues.

To get a good lowlight photo you need a combo of the right shutter and ISO. That’s why you need to play with your camera to adjust for shutter speed (F rating) and ISO. Also not zooming in will help…the more you zoom the more shaking will be a factor

The other thing is lens speed. On most cameras that have a lens fixed to the camera you have a lens that’s fairly slow. If you have a camera where you can swap out lenses then you can put a ‘fast’ lens on it and alot of the problem goes away.

I have a Canon XTi and XT DSLR. These cameras I can swap out lenses and have full manual capabilities. They take some awesome shots but there’s alot to play with and it can be a pain in the you know where. Plus they weigh a ton.

I also have a Powershot SD700IS. I’m really surprised with this camera. I can’t change the shutter speed, it’s got a slow lens, but I can change the ISO and some sort of “Exp” balance. On this camera it ranges from -2 to +2. For indoor shots I have it a +2/3. The camera takes some really nice shots. I haven’t taken this one to WDW yet…but I’m really tempted to just go with this one to see what it can do.

Hopefully this was of some help. My baby kitten is playing with the keyboard so I’m going to quickly post this before he types you all some gibberish. If you have more questions please post or PM. I love taking photos and would be happy to help as much as I can!

So what would you suggest if I CAN change the ISO, I CAN change the shutter speed, etc… everything BUT I can’t use “Burst” mode on shutter speeds slower than 0.5 AND I can’t change my timer to less than 10 seconds. So let’s say I am watching fireworks and I set up my camera to have a 2 second shutter delay and a higher ISO on the tripod how can I best avoid shake from pressing the shutter button. Obviously a “10 second” timer defeats the purpose b/c 10 seconds later the firework will be gone. Ugh. :mellow:

If you have a non-dSLR camera I would start with the following and then play from there. Keep the ISO on the low end like 50 or 100 (you might be able to push 200)…most of point and shoot cameras have grainy problems when you get in the 400+ range. I’d keep the shutter speed fast like 1-2 s so that you can use your continuous burst mode (for me this ability was a big help, the amount of light never seemed to be a problem), and have an aperture around f/5.6-8 depending on your camera.

Another thing that I haven’t tried but might also work if you don’t want to fiddle is if your camera has a sports setting try setting it to that b/c it’ll help stop the motion issues.

Guess What I got!!!
I have my own personal genaric version of the gorillapod!!!
Ed got a gift card for Circuit City and I hate that store- hate hate hate hate hate- they have a horrible return policy and they have an even worse management staff at the one near me. So he hands me the card and says “I did not buy you the camera thingy- go get it with this” UGH! So I went yesterday and had $50 to spend in a store that I cant stand. But they had a different version of the tripod you all talk about and so I bought it. I love it- ok it was $20 but still it works and it cost me nothing!
I also bought photo paper and “Walk the Line” dvd for Ed since its his current favorite movie.

Im so psyched!

I saw the gorillapod in some catalog… Sharper Image or Brookstone, or some plac elike that, but I have never seen it in the stores! I want one!