Disney plans Hawaii resort pushing education, not rides

Thought I’d share this article…

Disney plans Hawaii resort pushing education, not rides

Posted by JerseyShoreMoms.com on 10/4/07

HONOLULU — The Walt Disney Co. plans to build a family resort in Hawaii, but it won’t be an island Disneyland.

Walt Disney Parks & Resorts yesterday announced it bought 21 acres of oceanfront property on the western side of Oahu that it will use to build an 800-room hotel complex.

The resort, Disney’s first without a nearby theme park, will emphasize family-centered vacations while respecting Hawaii’s culture, said Disney Parks & Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo.

“It will give our guests another way to visit a place that they’ve loved for many years,”
Rasulo said. “As the crossroads of Asia, it is your diverse culture that makes this place so special.”

Disney spent $144 million to buy the land at the Ko Olina development, near the existing J.W. Marriott Ihilani Resort and Spa.

Disney has several themed resort hotels near Disneyland in California and Disney World in Florida, but it has never built a hotel resort that will stand on its own. Hawaii has no full-scale amusement park.

Construction on the resort is expected to begin next year, with opening set for 2011. The planned Disney complex has not yet been named.

Rasulo said there were no plans to expand the resort into a theme park.

“This decision and project really enhances our state’s reputation as a family destination,” said Gov. Linda Lingle. “That’s what we are, and the Disney name brings that to everyone’s mind, front and center.”

The hotel complex is expected to create 1,000 jobs along the island’s Leeward coast, an area known as much for its homelessness as for its breezy beaches.

The resort’s designs and amenities won’t be finalized until early 2008, but Rasulo said it will include educational and cultural activities, including local entertainers and hula dancers.

“When our families go home, they will know much more about Hawaii,” Rasulo said. “To call it a hotel would be a vast understatement of what we’re trying to achieve.”

The Associated Press

Aloha,

This has been a very exciting week for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. On Monday, we announced the continuation of The Year of a Million Dreams and just yesterday, we shared plans to purchase 21-acres of oceanfront property in Ko Olina, Hawaii for a future Disney resort.

Our first major resort outside of our theme park locations, this property will be set on the beautiful island of Oahu. We look forward to embracing the spirit of aloha and demonstrating the respect Disney has for the Hawaiian culture. This new venture also reminds us how much both Disney and Hawaii value ohana – the importance of family.

The new site will open in 2011 with both hotel rooms and Disney Vacation Club villas. An obvious choice, Hawaii’s natural beauty and variety of family activities rank it consistently as one of the top family destinations in the world and make it an ideal location for a Disney resort.

Yesterday’s news follows a series of successes for Disney Vacation Club. Membership at DVC has doubled since 2003; we recently opened Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas in July; in August, we opened Disney’s Doorway To Dreams preview center in Chicago; and just last month we announced that the first-ever West Coast villas will open at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel and Spa. Celebrating its 15th anniversary, Disney Vacation Club has currently sold out six of their eight resorts. This is a good indication of how much our Disney Vacation Club Guests enjoy their memberships.

Opening a resort in Hawaii is just one more example of the growth that is taking place throughout Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. We will share more details with you in the coming months as our Disney Vacation Club leaders and Walt Disney Imagineers prepare for opening day.

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to saying “aloha” to our Guests in Ko Olina – or as our vacation club members like to hear – “Welcome home!”

Mahalo,

Jay Rasulo
Chairman
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

FROM DVC Member Site:

Disney to build Hawaii resort

Luxury family resort planned for Ko Olina Resort & Marina on the island of Oahu.

BURBANK, Calif., October 3, 2007 - Walt Disney Parks & Resorts has announced that the company has finalized plans to purchase 21 acres of oceanfront property on Hawaii’s island of Oahu.

The property, located on the island’s western side in the picturesque Ko Olina Resort & Marina, Honolulu’s premier resort destination, will be home to Disney’s first mixed-use family resort outside of its theme park developments. The expansive resort, scheduled to open in 2011, is planned to have more than 800 units, including hotel rooms and Disney Vacation Club villas.*

“This resort hotel will give our Guests another way to visit an exciting part of the world with a brand they trust,” said Jay Rasulo, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. “In fact, Hawaii has been among our most requested Disney Vacation Club getaway locations beyond our Theme Parks. We are looking forward to building a special family resort that honors the cultural diversity of Hawaii and reflects the spirit of aloha that makes this location so unique.”

Consistently ranked as one of the top family destinations in the world, Hawaii’s natural beauty and extensive offering of family activities make it an ideal location for a Disney resort.

“Disney and Hawaii have something special in common, and that is the recognition of the importance of 'ohana,” said Hawaii Governor Linda Lingle. “Not only does Disney provide wonderful family vacations, but as a media company, it also touches people worldwide with its entertainment offerings. The new Disney hotel will be a great addition to Oahu, and I am pleased to welcome a company that can also bring the world of new media and digital technology to Hawaii, opening new opportunities for innovative partnerships in non-tourism related sectors.”

Ko Olina

The new resort hotel will be the latest addition to the Ko Olina development, known for its sweeping ocean views, picture-postcard white sand beaches and tranquil crystal blue lagoons.

Jeff Stone, President of The Resort Group and master developer of Ko Olina, has been working closely with Disney on the land acquisition and project.

“Ko Olina means ‘place of joy,’ and I can’t imagine a more perfect fit here than a Disney resort that will bring joy to people from around the world,” Stone said. “For many years, it has been our vision to continue to expand Ko Olina as a premier vacation destination for families and business travelers, and this new Disney resort hotel is making that vision a wonderful reality.”

*This resort is not yet registered or offered for sale.

My post was better.

Well well well, don’t I just LOVE being a DVC member :tongue:

Hawaii & Disney… what else can you ask for? Well… maybe a free trip!:wink:

Just thought I would share the artist rendering, looks pretty cool:

Oh my goodness gracious. It’s like the Polynesian in real life. Sign me up! :laugh:

There’s a reason why the Poly looks like the Poly…:tongue: :wink:

Hmm. Opening slated for 2011. I think we’ll have to arrange for the club to be closed for a couple of weeks.

BUMMER!:pirate:

I’m thinking that getting DVC reservations there will be REALLY hard, unless it’s your home resort.

CC - Why is it a Bummer? I think it rocks.

PS, That’s me in the drawing of the pool. There on the left.

Every time I even think of going somewhere else, I think about how it will mean giving up my trip to WDW and I can’t do it.

Not so w/me, Laura. This makes being a DVC member better (again, for me). I can plan a Hula vacation (complete with tu-tu) and save some points for a long weekend trip to WDW.

Go me.

We are also DVC members. I’m just so obsessed that I can’t stand to go anywhere else. LOL

Okay so I have 4-5 years to save and dream! This makes me want to become a DVC member all the more. It looks so beautiful.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but things like this is th reason we joined - we joined -we joined we joined - we joined - we joined

I’ll bet the waterview rooms would be a little bit cooler that the MK ferry boat!

It’s a case of envy…DVC Member. :biggrin:

Mickey!!! Hey, Mickey… yoo hoo!!!

I need to book a Disney Ko Olina room NOW!!!

I was going to say the same thing.:wub: