Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs

I wasn’t sure if anyone heard, or read anything yet, about Disney making layoffs this upcoming year.:frown:

Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs – OrlandoSentinel.com

BUMMER!

I feel so badly for all those people, and for Disiney in general. The way of theworld now, right? What a shame.

More cuts. :glare:

My feeling exactly. Where are all of these unemployed people supposed to find work?

Sometimes I feel like these huge corporations are using the “bad economy” as the excuse to behave badly and just cut people off their payrolls. I am really getting depressed about all of this. When will it stop??

I did! I was too bummed to post it . . . sucks! :frown:

IMO, here’s the issue with so many of these layoffs across the country:

The announcement comes the same month Disney revealed that its first quarter profits fell 32 percent. Operating profit in the parks-and-resorts division fell 24 percent during the three-month period, which ended Dec. 27.

Note that they are talking about profits. People are losing their jobs because the corporation isn’t making enough money, and Wall St. demands action when that happens. :angry:

Sorry… I need to go back to my happy place now. :redface:

Bruce

There is a reason why these big corporations are down sizing. The business environment is getting ready to change and they are preparing for it. They are looking out and seeing a change in cost associated with having employees. Hopefully what they are seeing won’t come to pass but we all know we are in an age of change.

[QUOTE=brumcg;936626]IMO, here’s the issue with so many of these layoffs across the country:

Note that they are talking about profits. People are losing their jobs because the corporation isn’t making enough money, and Wall St. demands action when that happens. :angry:

Sorry… I need to go back to my happy place now. :redface:

Bruce[/QUOTE]

Yes, my thoughts exactly Bruce.

I’ll be going back to my happy place now too! :happy:

Without profits there is no payroll. Without payroll there is no job.

Companies need to make money to stay in business. I know this is going to sound cold but some times to save jobs you have to cut some. For most companies payroll is the biggest line items. It cost a lot for a company to have an employee.

Companies create jobs and those jobs are getting more expensive to create.

…rant deleted…

(off my soap box…sorry if I offended anyone)

[QUOTE=tigger;936659]Without profits there is no payroll. Without payroll there is no job.
[/QUOTE]

Not true. Profits come after expenses (including payroll and benefits).

Without profits, there are no shareholder dividends. With lower than expected profits, stock prices go down as all of the short term investers sell. Corps then respond to the declining stock price; layoffs (aka reducing “administrative expense”) is something that short term investors like to hear… for some reason.

My company is in this state right now. After several record setting years in a row, the company had a “bad” year last year. The company is still making tons of profit… just not as much as had been projected. The stock price fell. 1500 jobs were cut. That didn’t get the bump needed, so more layoffs are coming. :frown: Our clear #1 goal is a high stock price; everything else, including quality, is secondary. :blow:

When companies report actual losses or forecast losses, I completely (unfortunately) understand the need for layoffs. In this economy, that’s happening too. If you don’t respond, you go out of business. That’s happening too. :crying:

Just my opinion. Off my soapbox as well… :redface:

Bruce

Sorry for ranting… news like this just hits too close to home.

Getting back to Disney, I wonder how the cuts will impact the parks. The worst trip that we’ve had to WDW was after they did some cutbacks and then attendance ended up higher than expected. You could really tell something was off.

Bruce

[QUOTE=brumcg;936669]Sorry for ranting… news like this just hits too close to home.

Getting back to Disney, I wonder how the cuts will impact the parks. The worst trip that we’ve had to WDW was after they did some cutbacks and then attendance ended up higher than expected. You could really tell something was off.

Bruce[/QUOTE]

I think it is always obvious when one person is trying to do more than one person’s job. Many areas of industry now no longer replace staff and instead try to incorporate the ‘cut employees’ duties into another employees job detail. This does impact on everyone eventually. The thing is, these same bosses expect the same, somewhat high standard, delivery of goods and services and this is nigh on impossible.

Interesting this comes at the same time when Rowdy tells us it’s very crowded.

yes, i was thinking the same thing myself.:confused:

Disney stock is presently under $18.00 a share…

Buy! Buy!

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)

They are giving away days to get people into the park - “buy 4 get 3 free”.

Anyone ever remember them doing that before?