Disney really is hurting

Who moved my cheese? Mickey Mouse gnaws away at theme park jobs - WalletPop Blog

It’s sad to hear news like this. I think it’s going to be a very long year for Disney and the parks. In tough times the first thing to go should be the extras/wants so needs can be met. I am sure many families have given up vacations hoping they can meet their basic needs. Hopefully the economy will start to improve soon, these uncertain times are stressful.

Ouch- reading that was tough. When big corps like Disney are feeling the squeeze it just re-iterates how serious this economic downturn really is.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. It is sad to hear these big companies really are struggling. I know we will come back strong but in the meantime it does sadden me to know Disney is feeling such a hard hit. I know it is not just Disney but all entertainment. I hope we will come back (economy) soon.

just stay positive… if that is possible… The article said that profits were down but not that they were operating in the negative… There is a big difference. I know that profits being down by a quarter is a huge amount, but they are just bracing for bad news-like everybody else…

Hang in there- just think about how much fun it will be to go to WDW when this ridiculous stress is over…

The parks seem crowded. Other $ making avenues doing bad?

kinda crazy when we’ve been hearing hwo busy the parks have been lately…

I hope things get better soon. I know so many people who work at Disney parks, and it kills me to think of their jobs being in jeopardy! :sad: I’m afraid that some of my friends with the highest seniority are in the most danger. Seniority may be a good thing to many companies, but to Disney it simply means “we have to pay them more money to do the same job as the newbies”. :crying: That is probably one of the first things that will catch Disney’s eye as an easy way to cut costs!

:pinch: Disney has always been a place to escape the troubles of the “outside” world… it hurts to know that the Happiest Place on Earth and Place Where Dreams Come True are suffering.

But, I continue to look at this economic crisis with optimism. I know we’re going to get out of it (when is the question), and I think once everything’s settled, we’re going to be a lot more responsible with our spending. And I know as soon as the economy picks up again, Walt Disney World and Disneyland are going to be booming, again.

*Also, little rant - Disney may be struggling, but at least it’s working. A lot of corporations have come ridiculously lazy and appear to have given up.

Wow. I may have to actually help them out by buying NEW resort mugs this trip.

We were doing that anyway, you have no choice remember?:laugh:

Hey, I still use my old yellow CBR mug from 1952.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;938988]:pinch: Disney has always been a place to escape the troubles of the “outside” world… it hurts to know that the Happiest Place on Earth and Place Where Dreams Come True are suffering.

But, I continue to look at this economic crisis with optimism. I know we’re going to get out of it (when is the question), and I think once everything’s settled, we’re going to be a lot more responsible with our spending. And I know as soon as the economy picks up again, Walt Disney World and Disneyland are going to be booming, again.

*Also, little rant - Disney may be struggling, but at least it’s working. A lot of corporations have come ridiculously lazy and appear to have given up.[/QUOTE]

I must say that for a young lady you have a lot of wisdom. Thank you for Victoria. I could not have said it better or agree more.:heart:

I’ll bet guests have been cutting down their spending while in the parks. You still go, but you may not buy all the incidentals.

Probally true. People are being able to squeez that trip in with all the deals and promos, but probally aren’t having the extra to just spend on crap (no insult meant to WDW mdse). Even if they have it, I’ll bet they are being more selective about what they spend it on. It’s been tough times…do you really need another WDw Tshirt or should you save the money in case you need it later? I sure this is a question most everyone asks themselves before spending these days.

I know we will be taking alot less on this trip . but in reality it is just great to be able to go. we have honestly been thinking of cancelling and going later in the year.

It must be bad for Disney. When we were there last week I saw lots of sales (20-25% off alot of stuff) Never seen that before.

I had heard that WDW was having sales - but that certainly wasn’t the case when I was there. Nothing was on sale. I did notice that their selection of merchandise certainly didn’t seem as extensive as other years…

World of Disney had them 25 % off plush toys. 20% off jewellry. And there was 20% of some other things (forget what). Oh 25% off big figurines. They also gave 20% off entire bill (in addition to your other discounts) instead of 10% for AP holders. At SSR they had the same sales. I saw and used these on Feb 20-21

When we were in the World in January, I noticed a lot of people carrying coolers containing their meal/s. We always make ADRs for our dinners, and quite a few of those restaurants weren’t full or near full. Watching the fireworks one evening, we were talking to a family from the mid-west who said that for one of their meals each day, they had funnel cake or a crepe (or something more in the snack food area) instead of spending $30-$40 dollars on a counter service meal. Then instead of a table service meal for dinner, they would do the counter service then. They said it probably saved them upwards of $50 per day. I asked why they hadn’t done the DDP, and they said they figured it all out and the way they were doing it was cheaper.
Sooner or later, this economy will turn around, and I hope a lesson is learned to not buy what you can’t afford. Everything is cyclical, ups and downs…this down is just worse than others. The Magic will still be there…as will the Mouse! And there will still be a “Happily Ever After”!!!“