Disney says they won't offer as many deep discounts in 2011

According to this article, Disney has announced that they don’t feel they will need to offer as many deep discounts in fiscal 2011 as they have the last 18 months because bookings are up.

Disney says rides parks, consumer sales upswing | Reuters

That’s what they said last year! Altho if the demand is there, they won’t need too.

I think the demand is there because they offer the discounts. I think that it will be a “game time decision” for them. if they see that bookings are down, they will offer discounts… plain and simple.

Unemployment is still too high to think that everything will be all better by January. I hope it is, but the economy has not turned around that fast…

well with us having an offsite condo if the discount is not there than the benefit for staying on prop. drops down to the coin flip for me the next time we go.

Yeah, I believe it’s the major discounts that are helping people realize their opportunities to take a trip. I know the free dining was really a turn on for my friend’s family this time around. I don’t know how things will be if they take those discounts away cause right now it’s really dragging the people in. Guess we’ll have to see! I like discounts, I don’t want to see them go :crying:

Boo! I definitely agree that it is the discounts like free dining and buy 4/get 3 free that get people to WDW. Not to mention their advertising… the TV commercials are great marketing. More importantly, the deals get people coming in the off-season. My guess is that the fall discounts will continue. The summer and holiday discounts might go, though. This year, they sent out a 35% off deluxe resorts PIN code out two weeks before the holiday season… clearly bookings were down. That’s insane… three years ago, the deluxes would’ve been completely booked for the weeks before and after Christmas (for our 2006 Christmas vacation to WDW, we had to stay at the Swan because all of the Disney-maintained resorts were booked solid).

I think it would be wrong for them not to offer discounts. The numbers are due to the discounts that they are doing. I know that there would not have been any way to talk my DH into us going in August if there was not a deal that worked well for us. At this point I can understand the weening off the big discounts that they have been doing but come the opening of the new part of MK asking close to full price. Even without the big deals I would still stay on property though, just not as often.

"It also said that, in fiscal 2011, it was no longer going to offer deep discounts as widely as it had over the last 18 months, because bookings might be on the upswing."

Note in the quote that bookings “MIGHT be on the upswing”

With this economy I am sure we are gonna see some good discounts.

Also, They were offering free dining and other discounts before the economy went caty-wampus so we will still see some discounts next year.

Lisa

PS Thank you for giving me a reason to say Caty-Wampus! :laugh:

[QUOTE=lisalovesmickey;1034959]"It also said that, in fiscal 2011, it was no longer going to offer deep discounts as widely as it had over the last 18 months, because bookings might be on the upswing."

Note in the quote that bookings “MIGHT be on the upswing”

With this economy I am sure we are gonna see some good discounts.

Also, They were offering free dining and other discounts before the economy went caty-wampus so we will still see some discounts next year.

Lisa

PS Thank you for giving me a reason to say Caty-Wampus! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Caty-Wampus…hahahaha. Yeah, I agree. I think there will ALWAYS be discounts floating around. They may just cut the ones around the more popular dates. But as for the rest of 2010/2011…there SHOULD be some major discounts! People don’t have the money to spend on a nice vacation these days!!! Come on now Disney!

I don’t think this article is saying that all discounts will come to complete halt. This information came straight from an interview with Disney CEO Bob Iger. You’re right that it says bookings might be on the upswing, but it also says that deep discounts won’t be offered as widely as they have the last 18 months. I think that as Disney sees their company gain more business, they will try to wean themselves, as well as guests, off of the huge discounts. I definitely think we will see some special offerings, but WOW at the number of big discounts over the last year! I know my family has been able to take advantage of some fantastic deals, and I’d hate to not be able to get those deals down the road, 'cause I LOVE a bargain!:laugh: It looks like I might just have to juggle our vacations around when those are offered.:happy:

at least you get the option of a dining plan discount - us in the DVC are not so lucky…

the free dining was the deal breaker this year for us. we had booked but wasn’t sure if we could go… DH says this is our last trip to wdw for about three years he wants to go other places, that is what he said last year.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:My DH too! He says every year we are going to take a Disney break, and then he gets sucked back in with the deals!

I figure that they will need something to draw ppl in for the next two years because without the discounts most ppl will probably hold off until the MK renovations are done if they are going to be paying top dollar with no discounts

Yeah you have a point. Like MarieKitteh said they will probably get rid of the discounts at the popular times of the year!

Lisa

Few points to think about.

1. Disney stated this last year and every one hurried up and booked a trip to get the supposed “deal” now instead of full price the next year…haha they got us.

2. The economy is still not so great and people are only traveling when a deal is to be made…haha fooled you disney

3. wait till value season and they are begging for us…haha disney

guess we win this round…oh wait they raise ticket prices every year, so I guess it’s a tie…:laugh:

To me it sounds like marketing gimmick to get more people to travel now and fill their resorts…again, they did the same thing last year.

My thoughts? Eh… they say a lot of things.

I also think bookings are up because of the discounts.

We were going to pass this year, but with the free dinning we couldnt pass it up.

I think they’ll be surprised at the number of people going just because of the discounts. We’ve ended up taking extra vacations just because the discounts were so good. We visit almost every year (with discounts even twice) and even though I try to remind myself this isn’t going to last forever depending on how much the prices go up we might look at other locations we haven’t been before…not Disney. Ouch that hurt to type!!!