Disney Settles Donald Duck Groping Case

I’ve been following this one and for some reason, I have a VERY hard time believing that Disney’s cast members/costume characters would out right “grope” people in a sexual manner. We’re talking Disney! Can you see “Donald” grabbing a boob in front of everyone, especially children?

Now I have come across “grumpy” cast members, as we all have, but I really find it hard to believe that someone would outright “grope” somebody in front of other people. Especially at Disney.

Most likely one of the “two” accidently bumped into each other… So she needed to “sue”. And its now a free trip and then some.

This is just another case of an idiot looking for a hand out from Disney IMO. And of course, situations like this could potentially lead to higher prices paid for by all of us.

Granted, I didn’t witness the event nor do I know all of the specifics surrounding this case… but being in the business, I can tell you that there are plenty of frivolous, fake and out right fraudulent claims submitted to the various “Amusement parks” (insurance providers) in this country… And more often than not, it’s easier (for the insurance companies & or parks if they are self -insured like Disney is) & cheaper to “settle” rather then fight a claim due to the overall “costs” involved. You know, lawyers fees, court costs, the length of a court case, the life of a claim, etc… And the word is out. And lawyers are all “over it” like white on rice.

It’s situations like this which really “burn me up”! But we live in a highly litigious society and without tort reform, we get cases like this one. Thus, we all “pay”.

Sorry for the gripe folks…

Disney settles Donald Duck groping case | Stuff.co.nz

This case makes me sick. I am sure the free trip and all the extras will help this woman forget about her “groping”…do not believe this tall tale for a second and think this woman needs mental help.

Ever wonder why America has more law suits than any other industrialized country? Sharks never stop swimming.

[QUOTE=papa bear;1076739]I’ve been following this one and for some reason, I have a VERY hard time believing that Disney’s cast members/costume characters would out right “grope” people in a sexual manner. We’re talking Disney! Can you see “Donald” grabbing a boob in front of everyone, especially children?

Now I have come across “grumpy” cast members, as we all have, but I really find it hard to believe that someone would outright “grope” somebody in front of other people. Especially at Disney.

Most likely one of the “two” accidently bumped into each other… So she needed to “sue”. And its now a free trip and then some.

This is just another case of an idiot looking for a hand out from Disney IMO. And of course, situations like this could potentially lead to higher prices paid for by all of us.

Granted, I didn’t witness the event nor do I know all of the specifics surrounding this case… but being in the business, I can tell you that there are plenty of frivolous, fake and out right fraudulent claims submitted to the various “Amusement parks” (insurance providers) in this country… And more often than not, it’s easier (for the insurance companies & or parks if they are self -insured like Disney is) & cheaper to “settle” rather then fight a claim due to the overall “costs” involved. You know, lawyers fees, court costs, the length of a court case, the life of a claim, etc… And the word is out. And lawyers are all “over it” like white on rice.

It’s situations like this which really “burn me up”! But we live in a highly litigious society and without tort reform, we get cases like this one. Thus, we all “pay”.

Sorry for the gripe folks…

Disney settles Donald Duck groping case | Stuff.co.nz[/QUOTE]

I agree, it would be very difficult to assault someone in full view of a park full of people. I am not disputing maybe there was an accidental brush of hand, or bump, but I dont believe anything sexual or untoward was the intention.
I am astounded by the number of litigation cases in the USA, and sadly believe that the UK is fast heading down the same route- law suit crazy!
The sad thing is we do all pay eventually, and some people deliberately instigate an incident for financial recompense.

I know someone here who wrote to Disney and said Mission Space had left her terrified of confined spaces, she said the warning film beforehand was not adequate- and after much to-ing and fro-ing they eventually sent her $1000.00- cheaper than her taking a legal action against them. Now I dont know if she is claustrophobic, but she certainly has taken many flights/cruises abroad since. I think a lot of people know Disney just doesn’t want the bad rap and they are an easy target.

… this reminds me of an old joke. This kid has a duck & … oh nevermind.

This is ridiculous! There have been a few times when I am holding one of my DD’s and walking up to a character, that there hand has swept one my boobs, because they are trying to say hello or tickle my DD. I’m sure that is exactly what happened here. People just love to sue!

Ah, well, here is an “update”.

It sounds like Disney didn’t settle and it looks like the case was “dismissed”, not “settled”.

Well, that makes me feel a little better… But it still doesn’t discount the fact that frivolous lawsuits run rampant in American society!

I wish a “loser pays” system was established in this country. If applied to this case, then this lady would be completely responsible for both parties court costs, lawyers fees, time out of work, etc… So essentially, a “loser pays” type system would eliminate said frivolous lawsuits. Because what “Ambulance Chaser” would want to run the risk of losing? But lets face it, that concept in this country is an outright fantasy. Especially when you consider the fact that 60% or so of the USA’s lawmakers ARE attorneys who tend to care only about “self - interest” and to “take care of their own”. Tort reform is a great campaign slogan, but once they hit Washington, they all laugh their way straight to the “bank”… Just ask Mel Martinez, a former FL Senator who couldn’t finish out his 1st term because he was too anxious to start his new career with a high powered lobbiest firm… where he is making millions of dollars a year. But I digress… :huh:

Either way, it looks like this lady didn’t get anything from Disney…

Upper Darby woman’s lawsuit against Donald Duck dismissed - delcotimes.com

What a load of you know what

Disney should SUE her right back.

There will be more strict rules in place for her actions to even further the interaction between characters and guests.

If you read the article she goes on to complain about how this had devasted her life with and I quote from the article

The Delaware woman says she is traumatized by the incident some two years later.

She says she now suffers from “muscle contraction headaches,” “anxiety,” “nausea,” “insomnia,” “nightmares,” and “digestive problems

OH PLEASE all that from a brush up with a character whos is practically blind in those costumes.

Nightmares must be lookin in the mirror (LOL)

I just have no respect for these type sof people NONE at ALL.

Terrible for Disney just terrible.

Sure shes the type to break a bottle in a market only to slip on its contents and then sue the market

[QUOTE=lmhaas;1076783]What a load of you know what

Sure shes the type to break a bottle in a market only to slip on its contents and then sue the market[/QUOTE]

Or one to trip over her own shoe laces and sue said market.

I agree 100%.

Well reading on and finding out the case was dismissed does make me feel better for Disney and now a countersuit should be filed

Im no lawyer but maybe a defamation of character suit

I agree there should be a a way to file a counter law suit

Still tarnishes the Magic a bit just by negative words and actions by self serving individual

[QUOTE=lmhaas;1076785]Well reading on and finding out the case was dismissed does make me feel better for Disney and now a countersuit should be filed

Im no lawyer but maybe a defamation of character suit

I agree there should be a a way to file a counter law suit

Still tarnishes the Magic a bit just by negative words and actions by self serving individual[/QUOTE]

Not only that but how about the poor fellow who had criminal charges filed against him? It’s sad to see some people who only care about frauding others for “free” money and “dropping biological waste products” on others along the way.

And yes, it would be nice to see Disney stand up to claims such as this and to countersue. But it’s highly doubtful. THEY would become the bad guys. Plus, Disney had their day in court and won.

In fact, they do have lawyers on staff for this very reason. i.e. to fight claims tooth and nail. Disney pays their lawyers a nice salary (and perhaps a bonus, IDK) just so these “guys” can get after anyone who tries to sue… And to wear down the “Ambulance Chasers” as well (salary is a lot more affordable than the “per hour” rate most attorneys charge but Disney can afford it).

(On a side note) Lets face it, the largest expense for any business owner is the “cost of a lawyer” in the event they are sued. And anyone can sue anybody for any reason at all. So if you have a target on your back (such as the many Amusement Outlets do in this country), then the cost of a lawyer could bankrupt your business in the event that you are sued for some supposed negligence that you allegedly committed (thus, why insurance is vital to “capitalism”). But in the case of Disney, they are so HUGE that they can afford to maintain “lawyer” cast members… Or how ever you would phrase it.

Do we even know that it was a “fellow” helping out Donald? I mean… Donald isn’t all that tall.

You know… I rode Mission Space and felt a little sick and woozy. But I figure it would pass, and that CERTAINLY it would be a grand idea to go immediately ride Test Track, with that big fast curve at the end. I felt so ill afterward. Did I think, “I should sue Disney for warning me that I shouldn’t ride these two rides one after the other when I’m not feeling all that great to begin with?”

No, I thought: “Wow. I’m an idiot.” :laugh:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1076792]Do we even know that it was a “fellow” helping out Donald? I mean… Donald isn’t all that tall.

:[/QUOTE]

The second (update) article that I posted stated the following (near the bottom):

“Court documents indicate that when Magolon’s allegations were brought to the attention of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department in Florida, the man in the Donald Duck costume was criminally charged, but subsequently acquitted.”

[QUOTE=papa bear;1076793]The second (update) article that I posted stated the following (near the bottom):

“Court documents indicate that when Magolon’s allegations were brought to the attention of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department in Florida, the man in the Donald Duck costume was criminally charged, but subsequently acquitted.”[/QUOTE]

Ah. :cool:

This does burn me up too.

This reminds me of my trip last year, I didn’t see this until after the photo was taken and I kind of chuckled.

But hey you know what, a year later I still think about it and I’m sure Pluto attacked my face and ate my boob on purpose, he saw me walking up and said, yup that’s what I’m going to do. So you know what I should sue too! LOL

Yeesh… I’m glad the case was dismissed. I would be very annoyed if this lady got any sort of compensation, and I have a hard time believing that she suffered from any of those anxieties mentioned. Give me a break! Don’t people have better things to do???

On a side note, I think the characters get grabbed inappropriately more often than the guests do…

http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/10287/2670425170102591727S425x425Q85.jpg

GUILT can cause a lot of anxiety items in a person that has something to hide…just saying in IMO…

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1076804]Yeesh… I’m glad the case was dismissed. I would be very annoyed if this lady got any sort of compensation, and I have a hard time believing that she suffered from any of those anxieties mentioned. Give me a break! Don’t people have better things to do???

On a side note, I think the characters get grabbed inappropriately more often than the guests do…

http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/10287/2670425170102591727S425x425Q85.jpg[/QUOTE]

That little girl better watch herself, Cindy is filing her suit as we speak. :laugh:

[QUOTE=lmhaas;1076783]
The Delaware woman says …[/QUOTE]

She’s from Delaware?

I can’t believe the guy was arrested for the ‘action’. Never mind he was acquitted, but the fact he had to go through all that nonsense.