Disney Springs? (Downtown Disney, Hyperion Wharf dead)

There finally appears to be some movement to remake Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island.

Leaked Concept Art & Details – “Disney Springs” Set to Replace WDW’s Downtown Disney | WDW News Today

Ugh. Disney Springs is a stupid name. Hopefully that is false.

The nerdy architecture major in me would like to point out that the drawing they showed for the Village Marketplace is a SECTION, not an elevation.

That interior rendering makes me want to vom. Like what were they thinking? Bad mix of hand rendering and digital.

The drawing underneath that which they say “showcases shrubbery” is also a SECTION. Also, an architect would never say showcasing shrubbery… more like illustrating public space.

Its hardly imaginative is it? I read the association with the springs in the area prior to construction. But, surely they can come up with something a little more ‘magical’ or Disney-fied than that? Oh well…

…maybe it’s “Disney Springs” because they hope that we will “spring” for a chance to spend lots of money there??? :laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Yes SW we could ‘Spring’ in and out of the stores, resorts, restaurants…:heart:

What - did some genuis come up with ‘hey - that’s almost like Saratoga Springs!’ Totally lacking in imagination - which is frightening when you think it’s Disney.

That sounds awful. A new theme and coming up with some silly back story isn’t going to bring Pleasure Island back to life. Disney needs to invest their time and money in bring in updated entertainment and modern restaurants.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1131054]Ugh. Disney Springs is a stupid name. Hopefully that is false.

The nerdy architecture major in me would like to point out that the drawing they showed for the Village Marketplace is a SECTION, not an elevation.

That interior rendering makes me want to vom. Like what were they thinking? Bad mix of hand rendering and digital.

The drawing underneath that which they say “showcases shrubbery” is also a SECTION. Also, an architect would never say showcasing shrubbery… more like illustrating public space.[/QUOTE]

Victoria, I can’t wait for you to get your degree, get hired by Disney and leak all the new info to us fellow Mousebuzzers. After reading this, they definitely need your help!

I am sitting on the fence about all of this. I want to see more details about what they will be building there. It sounds exciting but I need to know more.

hello all
how r u

My grandparents are snowbirds and they sent me this article today:
Downtown Disney: Walt Disney World unveiled plans on Thursday for a major expansion of the Downtown Disney Shopping destination, which will be renamed Disney Springs to signal transformation into “a unique destination what will treat guests to significantly more shopping, dining and entertainment amid beautiful open air promenades, meandering springs and waterfront charm”.
Unlike the parks, there is free parking and no admission charge, so the complex has to rely on pizzazz to separate visitors from thier dollars.
Disney Springs will double the number of shops, restaurants and other venues, resulting in more that 150 establishments.
The destination will include four outdoor neighborhoods interconnected by a flowing spring and lakefront. In addition to a new gateway with a water tower and grand entry, the complex will feature a Town Center with shopping, dining and a promenade and a commerical district called the Landing, with waterfront views. It will include the Marketplace with an over-the-water pedestrian causeway and an expanded World of Disney Store, and a West side with enterainment options and “a series of new elevated spaces that provide both shade and overlook to the activity below”.
Construction starts next month and be finished in 2016.

I for one will always call it Downtown Disney!

I wish they would bring back Pleasure Island offerings from before, that I never got to see. I like DTD as it is now… not sure about all of this yet

I think it’s a greatly needed improvement. More parking is coming, and more areas to have fun! Keep an open mind folks…from what I saw of the model, it’s going to be special!

Could Disney Springs be linked to Saratoga Springs? It would make sense since they are across from each other, like an extension. If the architecture is similar, that may be the answer as to why the name.

I think it sounds great. Im looking forward to seeing it

I don’t care what they call it. I am still going to spend way too much money there.:laugh::laugh:

…boy you’ve got that right!! :laugh::laugh:

You got that right. I love DTD and this isn’t helping my complaing about prices going up. There is just something about DTD that I love. I hope they give us more enterainment.