Disney to buy comic book powerhouse Marvel

This could be interesting. Think of all the cool characters we could see walking around. What will this mean for Universal Studios?

Disney to buy comic book powerhouse Marvel for $4B - Yahoo! News

I just don’t know. I love Marvel, and I love Disney. But the two of them as one… WOW. I am not sure I see Marvel as a Disney fit. Certainly not in the way Pixar and Muppets fit. Would, or should they even be incorporated into the parks? I could see them at Downtown Disney, and possible in a section at Disney Studiios, but that’s about it. And then you do have the issue of Islands of Adventures. I am so interested to see how all this pans out. I am guessing they will keep the comics running (possibly tying in some other Disney brands into the Marvel brand of comics -TRON, Jack Sparrow, Pixar Characters), and leave the rights and royalties to the branding where they are (clothing, parks, video games) until the contracts expire or the companies no longer want to keep them.

I am not sure about this either… I don’t want Disney to become Characterland. I want Disney to remain above all of the other competitors. Wiping out the competition will not make them better (from a character standpoint)…it might weaken their appeal if there is another character every 15 feet in the parks… just my opinion.

Personally, I see Disney as a better fit with DC comics. Marvel is always so much darker. However, I’m sure the Universal connection with IOA had something to do with this move. What will Universal do now once the license contract expires? I’m guessing renaming the attractions back into the movie theme again.

Ok, So Disney Buys Marvel Comics. Now, Universal Studios uses Marvel Characters. We all know that Universal has been competing with Disney for years now. So what happens when Disney Suddenly owns Marvel? Does Universal have to give up it’s rights to the the use of the characters?

This IMO is a smart move on Disney, with the upcoming Iron Man2 movie and the other Marvel Movies coming. While I do agree with not wanting to see a over run of characters at disney, but maybe this will open up a chance for a new park with new thrill rides based on the new Marvel theme’s. just a thought.

Dear sweet baby jesus, what’s next? I am really not a comic book character fan at all, and I don’t know a lot about big business deals like this but I am assuming that eventually Universal will have to pay Disney for the rights to use ‘their’ characters in the Universal parks? I mean I HIGHLY doubt Universal would rip out such a technologically involved and popular attraction like the Spiderman one, so I would assume they’d have to start paying Disney for those rights to keep & use the images?

Insane. I am very curious to see how this would play out in the future. In my strange inner opinion voice something is telling me that by like 2025 Disney is just going to own Universal and this is step one. :laugh:

Hear me now, if I ever see Wolverine, the Hulk, or Spiderman in a Disney park I am throwing a peanut at their heads. Just can’t do it. That association for me will always be with Universal. And if one of the big goals, as that article states, is to “capture the young adult male market” then you KNOW those characters are going to be somewhere in sight. Ugh.

I know I am probably of the minority in this opinion but creating a bunch of comic book character thrill rides just cheapens the Disney effect to me. You get that stuff at Universal and Six Flags parks.

From what I read “deals in the works” like the ones stated above are not going to be Disney “property”

I’m with WISHY, I love comics and their characters just NOT AT DISNEY!!

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;988924]
Hear me now, if I ever see Wolverine, the Hulk, or Spiderman in a Disney park I am throwing a peanut at their heads. Just can’t do it. That association for me will always be with Universal. And if one of the big goals, as that article states, is to “capture the young adult male market” then you KNOW those characters are going to be somewhere in sight. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wait .... What's that I see climbing Cinderella Castle ???? Could it be the web slinger himself?  

Wishy, I gotta agree with ya on this. I don’t care to see these characters in the park. I’m a Spiderman fan, but it’s a different genre in WDW… and should be left that way. With the future releases of the Spiderman franchise, I see Disney’s pockets getting bigger. (I’m picturing Stan Lee with mouse ears on.)

Wishy… I totally agree. UGH… We will see how it plays out.

I can’t give a good reason why, but I really don’t like this.

I would hope that they keep the two families separate and not incorporate Marvel characters into the park.

I saw the interview with Bob Iger on tv this morning. He said that they were looking at distribution throughout the world. The host asked him about usage in the theme parks. He said that was one of their decisions, and it would be something that they were interested in.

Um… doesn’t feel very disney, magic-like to me…

I know that Universal is putting a Transformers ride in to one of their overseas parks that will utilize the Spider-man ride technology, so… by the time that Universal’s contract is up, we could see a Transformers themed land, or maybe something more generic like an Action Land (for lack of a better idea) that would have a Transformers ride, The Hulk rethemed to Fast and Furious, etc… I am sure something could be worked out in a pinch. Luckily, for Universal, IOA is really the only major problem park for the Disney purchase.

Wishy, Look at it this way. Disney owns the rights to Marvel Characters. It is cheaper for them to license those to the other parks then to use them in their own.

Disney will now make a portion of the Gate at Uni/Island/Six flags with no over head cost or real risk. I can’t see them (Disney) changing that and the risk you have voiced of bring Marvel into the Disney Parks. Why not just take a portion of the competitions Gate?

Hear me now, if I ever see Wolverine, the Hulk, or Spiderman in a Disney park I am throwing a peanut at their heads. Just can’t do it. [/QUOTE]

I just laughed out loud for a long time at this. I am picturing you holding a slingshot loaded with cans of Planters…hahahahahahaha :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Insane. I am very curious to see how this would play out in the future. In my strange inner opinion voice something is telling me that by like 2025 Disney is just going to own Universal and this is step one. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

I can see this maybe happening. Remember earlier this year they made exclusive film distribution agreement with DreamWorks Studios. DreamWorks Studios HQ is at the Universal Studios lot.

[QUOTE=tigger;988950]Wishy, Look at it this way. Disney owns the rights to Marvel Characters. It is cheaper for them to license those to the other parks then to use them in their own.

Disney will now make a portion of the Gate at Uni/Island/Six flags with no over head cost or real risk. I can’t see them (Disney) changing that and the risk you have voiced of bring Marvel into the Disney Parks. Why not just take a portion of the competitions Gate?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, totally. If that’s the way it works out cool. I just don’t know how far Disney is going to go to catch the attention of that “young adult male” part of the market Bob Iger seemed to be targeting.

And Disney stock loses $.80 a share on the news?
I believe Six Flags has no agreement to use Marvel characters, only DC characters as well as Looney Tunes characters, which are owned by Warner.
This will be a very complicated deal as Marvel still has distribution agreements with Sony, Fox, Universal, and Paramount for some of their most popular franchises (X-Men, Hulk, Iron Man, Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer, Spiderman). But they do acquire a catalog of something like 5,000 characters.

The real question is why no none called me to OK this deal.