Disney to tighten up advertisers

Disney to Ban Some Junk-Food Ads on Kid TV Shows | XFINITY TV Blog by Comcast

I think this is a good thing. As a corporate citizen Disney should be conscious of the impact their advertisers have on American youth. I really do think Walt would approve.

Thoughts?

I understand where they are coming from, but the issue of child obesity starts at home with the parents and their food choices. Junk food is really meant to be a “sometimes” thing or treat. It’s not suppose to be part of one’s every day diet. Parents really need to be held accountable for their children’s food intake, not advertisers or the makers of said junk food. I do like that Disney is going to take a stronger approach at advertising healthy nutrition. Again, won’t mean a thing unless parents back it up. The word is “no”…learn how to say it to your children…

lol, amen sister. I agree with you, but it does help when Mickey says it is good to eat smart.

I absolutely agree.:heart:

I agree, Dana, but the power of advertising is strong. Not to mention, too many bad foods get away with false advertising. Consider the claim, “Made with 100% fruit juice.” Sound healthy? Not when you read the lable and see the juice is 100%, all the other stuff isn’t. Casey’s Pizza claims to be made with 100% Real Cheese. Real Cheese is actually a brand name. It’s artificially made cheese product.

I’m a quasi libertarian, but I was labeling and marketing laws were tighter.

[QUOTE=Cavey;1113081]I agree, Dana, but the power of advertising is strong. Not to mention, too many bad foods get away with false advertising. Consider the claim, “Made with 100% fruit juice.” Sound healthy? Not when you read the lable and see the juice is 100%, all the other stuff isn’t. Casey’s Pizza claims to be made with 100% Real Cheese. Real Cheese is actually a brand name. It’s artificially made cheese product.

I’m a quasi libertarian, but I was labeling and marketing laws were tighter.[/QUOTE]

I also agree with your points made. Still, unless you don’t read labels or don’t care to check on what the media sells you, you should be looking into this kind of stuff before feeding it to your kids. It’s the ol’ if someone told you to jump off a bridge, would you? So, someone told you it’s 100% juice, do you just believe them? Again, your point is well-made and I don’t read every label either. Just sayin’

I just know the cereal battle every time we go shopping. We don’t watch TV. So the kids don’t see the commercials, but the flashy boxes with the cartoon characters and sly labels like, “Made with real food by-products!” make for arguments. I can see how a parent would wear down.

Not to mention, there are a lot of people in America so poorly educated they wouldn’t understand a nutrition label if they read it.

It’s like our education system (and why we can’t fix urban schools): Parents are ultimately responsible for a child’s education, but when a parent can barely read, how do they change that cycle?

Disney banning ads on sweets, Ha! This coming from the company that forces the dessert and snacks on DDP as opposed to an app choice.
Sorry guys I had to go there, that was the first thing that popped in my head when reading the title thread :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dana’s right, life’s lessons should begin at home.

[QUOTE=Cavey;1113118]I just know the cereal battle every time we go shopping. We don’t watch TV. So the kids don’t see the commercials, but the flashy boxes with the cartoon characters and sly labels like, “Made with real food by-products!” make for arguments. I can see how a parent would wear down.

Not to mention, there are a lot of people in America so poorly educated they wouldn’t understand a nutrition label if they read it.

It’s like our education system (and why we can’t fix urban schools): Parents are ultimately responsible for a child’s education, but when a parent can barely read, how do they change that cycle?[/QUOTE]

Valid point! Vicious cycle that will only be broken by proper education for those coming up.