Disney with an 18 month old

This October, girls weekend will include my 18 month old niece, along with my mom, sister, aunt, and daughter (age 9).

My DD goes a couple of times per year, so “seeing everything” isn’t an issue. Any tips for bringing an 18 month old? I swore I wouldn’t do it again :ohmy:

That would have been my tip.:huh:

We took DD14 when she was 5months. The biggest things for us were: have our own stroller and avoid buses if possible, take breaks, skip the big rides since parent swap didn’t appeal to us (if it was a smaller ride or a show and she was asleep we’d pick her up out of the stroller and take her on with us), and make sure where ever we ate it was “small child” friendly. We went to Sci-fi and CP and they both let us roll her in up to the table while still asleep in the stroller. Not sure if they’ll still do that.

We just went with an 11 month old. We rented strollers from Orlando Stroller rental. I swear the stroller was new. We rented it because there was no room for ours, and we needed it to recline so he could sleep. We LOVED the stroller. It was SOOOOOOO Easy to fold, and use on the buses, etc. I would also say that they need time to move around, not just be carried… Have fun, it can be fun, if the parent listens to the child and does not take him into a show when he is screaming from hunger, etc… It can be done so that it is relatively easy for the baby and you.

Oh, use the diaper changing stations if you can. They are great!
I’ll report back on my adventure next week with the 15 month old…

Here is the link to the company. I got their info from Allears.net
https://www.orlandostrollersrental.com/

We rented this stroller:https://www.orlandostrollersrentals.com/Step2.aspx?PID=1

We’ve gone with young kids several times and loved it. The pacing is different, and if you are a park commando, it may be frustrating for you. Loud noises may be a problem.

Having said that, we didn’t truly appreciate FantasyLand until we did it with little ones.

Mickeybug said avoid buses, but we found our over-stimulated children would fall asleep as soon as the buses began moving.

[QUOTE=hanwill;1116160]We just went with an 11 month old. We rented strollers from Orlando Stroller rental. I swear the stroller was new. We rented it because there was no room for ours, and we needed it to recline so he could sleep. We LOVED the stroller. It was SOOOOOOO Easy to fold, and use on the buses, etc. I would also say that they need time to move around, not just be carried… Have fun, it can be fun, if the parent listens to the child and does not take him into a show when he is screaming from hunger, etc… It can be done so that it is relatively easy for the baby and you.

Oh, use the diaper changing stations if you can. They are great!
I’ll report back on my adventure next week with the 15 month old…

Here is the link to the company. I got their info from Allears.net
https://www.orlandostrollersrental.com/

We rented this stroller:https://www.orlandostrollersrentals.com/Step2.aspx?PID=1[/QUOTE]

If you will not be bringing your own stroller, you must rent one from the company listed above. They are great strollers! The strollers that WDW rent are hard plastic and do not recline. They cannot be comfortable to any child!

The only thing I could offer is something you most likely already know. The 18 month old child is scheduling Boss. Try to fight it and they will make you pay the price.:laugh: :laugh:

We started taking our grandkids when the first one was 6 mths. Do not think your trip will be the same as when you went without a little one. The sooner you realize that the better your trip will be. Remember that kids can only take so much and they are on schedules. With that said, you can still have fun. Around nap times, do something a little less exciting and do not try and get them to dance in the street. Let them nap, you will thank yourself later.

Someone else suggested using your own stroller and I agree. Having a child satisfied with their own things is better than trying something completely out of their norm.

With all this said, you know your child best.

We took my son at 8 mos last October and will be taking him again at 22 months this December. We loved the stroller we bought for the trip - and now use it constantly at home. We have the Chicco Liteway. It’s as light as an umbrella stroller but it still reclines for the little ones to sleep. It’s not too hot and it also has some storage below. We had a backpack-diaper bag and would just hang the two arms around the handles. It was so great.

We had several ADRs scheduled and anytime Wes was sleeping we would just ask to roll the stroller in and under the table like a chair. Never had a problem accommodating this request. We also utilized rider swap (loved this) and took him on everything else he could ride. He loved the shows - Nemo & Little Mermaid were especially vibrant and entertaining for him. Never had a problem with changing areas and checked out the baby care stations too. Naps are definitely important to prevent meltdowns and take some quiet time for lunch. I think finding a more secluded spot for a meal or treat was huge - the little ones can get over stimulated so easily.

Overall though- Disney with a little one was truly SO much better than I imagined. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. The most stressful part of our trip were the flights!

Have a fabulous trip!! :):):slight_smile:

I will not be doing any 4D movies with my children for a while. Young ones cannot handle it very well. The other thing is taking it easy being laid back very useful for children. Mrsmouse brought up a good point about it not being the same as it was your little one. Every parent is different even when they are from the same family, and though you may do things with your 18 month old niece you can also take time with your DD. I know I would love to spend some time in WDW with my DD who is 10 even if it was for 1 morning.

On our last trip our stroller broke. We rented a stroller. We found it to be satisfactory. However, you can’t take it out of the park. So, if you can’t take your fancy stroller, buy a cheap umbrella stroller to use.

Thank you all! When we took our DD at 18 months, my DSs were 4 and 6 and on their first trip, so we were trying to accommodate everyone. And, my DD at 18 months wanted to keep up with her brothers, but couldn’t.

We do two girls weekends per year so my DD gets plenty of mom and me time in the parks and she is very excited about having her cousin with her this time.

So, I am looking for great rides, attractions for 18 month olds that we wouldn’t necessarily think of. One that comes to mind is the playground Honey I Shrunk (?) at Hollywood. Others?

[QUOTE=Magic;1116153]This October, girls weekend will include my 18 month old niece, along with my mom, sister, aunt, and daughter (age 9).

My DD goes a couple of times per year, so “seeing everything” isn’t an issue. Any tips for bringing an 18 month old? I swore I wouldn’t do it again :ohmy:[/QUOTE]

We had a great trip with our DD when she was 15 months old. It all depends on the child…they are so different!! She was fine sleeping in the stroller and we would still carry on and take turns on rides, etc… this helped us:

-bring or rent a comfy stroller that you can ride her to and from the car (or busses, monorail, etc…) vs. renting on in the parks.

-pack with you some little inexpensive surprises (glow stick, little toys, bubbles, etc…) that you can bring out whenever you have an emergency:happy:

It’ll be magical!!!

glow sticks are great! you can get them at home depot, and the kids love them…

I agree! Glow sticks are fantastic!! We also brought glow bracelets/necklaces (found some cheap at Five Below) and put them on our stroller each night. Made finding our stroller in the sea of other strollers SO much easier!!

The only thing I can I say is use the kiddy centers located in all the parks. They are hidden out of the way but that’s a good thing. These centers have changing tables, play rooms, tv rooms…food… you name it. They give you somewhere to just chill for a small while. We found them a god send when our daughter was a baby. :happy:

Thank you!

you are more than welcome :happy: