Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund - did you know...?

[B]What is DWCF?[/B]
The Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund was established on Earth Day (April 22) in 1995. It provides awards annually to U.S.-based nonprofit conservation organizations who are working with their peers around the world. The first grants from DWCF were made in 1998, when Disney’s Animal Kingdom first opened. Since then, DWCF has been a supporter of more than 800 projects and contributed more than $14 million in grants to individuals and organizations in 110 countries.

[B]How can you help?[/B]
[B]See Disneynature’s “African Cats”[/B]
Disneynature, in collaboration with the African Wildlife Foundation (AWF), will celebrate the release of the film “African Cats” with a program called “See ‘African Cats,’ Save the Savannah.” During the movie’s opening week (April 22-28, 2011), a portion of the proceeds from the week’s ticket sales will be donated to AWF through DWCF to help protect the many animals that call the African savannah home, such as lions, cheetahs, giraffes, zebras, and elephants.

[B]Vote at Friends for Change.[/B]
Kids can help too! With Friends for Change, kids can help save the planet by making a difference in their communities. Voting is part of Friends for Change’s environmental initiatives; each year, kids can vote for projects managed by environmental nonprofit organizations that fall under one of Friends for Change’s 4 focus areas: climate, habitat, waste, and water. Since Friends for Change was launched in 2009, the 2.5 million votes received have directed almost $2 million to 41 projects in 21 countries. This quarter’s project winners were:

1. Birdlife International, “Saving Spoony’s Chinese Wetlands”
  2. The Nature Conservancy, “Protecting Canada’s Great Bear Rainforest”
  3. Fauna and Flora International, “Iberian Lynx Habitat Conservation”
  4. ECOLIFE Foundation, “Aquaponic Economics: Going Ape in Cameroon”
  5. Conservation International, “Restoring Wetlands in Namaqualand”

[B]Donate to DWCF.[/B]
When you go to Disney’s Animal Kingdom, visit any merchandise location (and some quick service dining locations) and make a donation to DWCF. Disney covers overhead costs so that 100% of Guest donations goes to DWCF projects. When you make your donation, you will be given a DWCF button to show the world that you helped to save wildlife and wild places!

Different DWCF buttons can be found at locations all around the Walt Disney World Resort, as well as some other Disney locations.

• Disney’s Animal Kingdom
  • The Seas with Nemo & Friends at Epcot
  • The Land at Epcot
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge
  • Wilderness Lodge/Fort Wilderness Resort
  • Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter Resort
  • Old Key West Resort
  • Hilton Head Island Resort
  • Vero Beach Resort
  • Disney Cruise Line

[B]Learn more.[/B]
One of the best ways to support conservation efforts is to learn more about them and spread the word. Here are some great resources. I used many of these sites to help write up this thread.
Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund
DWCF: Ensuring a Future for Wildlife and Wild Places
Disney Friends for Change
"See ‘African Cats,’ Save the Savannah"
Disney Conservation Report, April 2010 (link to pdf report)
Disney Environmental Fun Facts

Aw, look at you Jill! Really living up to what you do! I love it! My family has donated to this the past three years. I remember, I’m not sure if they still do, but AK used to have buttons everywhere that you could buy for $2 I think, and it donated to this fund! Such a great thing!!

This is one of my traditions. I have collection of buttons, as we always purchase one at AK. It’s a wonderful cause!

Yep! There’s a conductor on the Wildlife Express Train that announces the DWCF buttons are the only souvenir you can get at Disney for $1! :laugh:

We also donate everytime we go. I would like to continue the tradition with my DS and teach him at the same time about giving back to his community and the world.

Jill, Thank you for posting this. I didn’t know about this. When we are in Animal Kingdom, I’m going to have my DD’s both donate to this cause! Thanks again for posting, otherwise I would not have known about it.

You’re very welcome! I think it’s a great cause - I’ve been telling everyone I know about it. :slight_smile:

Wow I can’t believe I never heard of this! I will definitely be buying everyone in my family pins next time we go.

It’s a regular add on at AK. We have buttons from many trips.