Disneyland in January, questions

My Dad and I are going to be staying at the Grand Californian from January 24th-27th. I already checked and it looks like the Haunted Mansion is going to be down (my Dad is SO upset about that :sad:), along with It’s A Small World, and the SunWheel at DCA.

Has anyone been to Disneyland this late in January? Every trip I’ve ever taken to DL has been in May or June so these are some random questions I have…

• Are the animals still available to visit in the Big Thunder Ranch? [I :heart: those goats]

• When I called last week to get a reservation with DVC points the CM said “we have availability everywhere.” Should I assume the parks are going to be pretty empty?

• Are rides like Splash Mountain & Grizzly Run ok to ride that time of year? Or does it get too uncomfortably cool to get wet?

• What in the world kind of clothes should I pack? Everything I’ve read said that’s the ‘rainy season’ but when I looked at the average rainfall for January over the years it’s only like 4 inches. Ummm, we got 4 inches of rain TODAY in NJ. :laugh: Is that accurate or is it more rainy than that?

OK, that’s all I can think of now. :happy: Thanks.

Bumping… SOMEBODY has to have been to Disneyland in late January before, right? :huh:

I haven’t! :wub:

Just wanted to answer your thread.

[QUOTE=cinderbella;911722]I haven’t! :wub:

Just wanted to answer your thread.[/QUOTE]

:tongue: thanks!!! I think you guys SHOULD go! :happy:

I’m interested in knowing as well. When I called DVC for May they had a ton open avail.

Nope never been in January.

But can i come with you…my bday is the 24th!!! I wanna go for free lol

Not me. Since the numbers are down everywhere, I think it’s safe to assume that the parks won’t be stuffed either. It’s already after MLK weekend and not quite President’s Day yet…

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;909127]My Dad and I are going to be staying at the Grand Californian from January 24th-27th. I already checked and it looks like the Haunted Mansion is going to be down (my Dad is SO upset about that :sad:), along with It’s A Small World, and the SunWheel at DCA.
[/QUOTE]

Late January is a wonderful time to go, as crowds are minimal…

I was there in late January a number of times when I was in Law School. Linda and I went up a lot in January/February, before the studies became overwhelming…

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;909127]

• Are the animals still available to visit in the Big Thunder Ranch? [I :heart: those goats][/QUOTE]

The animals are relatively new, so I haven’t been in late january to know if they are available or not…

• When I called last week to get a reservation with DVC points the CM said “we have availability everywhere.” Should I assume the parks are going to be pretty empty? [/QUOTE]

Extremely empty.

'cause it’s extremely cold :eek: (as California goes, mind you…) But some of the most bitter nights I’ve experienced in Southern California is trying to beat feet to the Pirates where it’s relatively warm and out of the wind… :pirate:

• Are rides like Splash Mountain & Grizzly Run ok to ride that time of year? Or does it get too uncomfortably cool to get wet? [/QUOTE]

you can ride them. You will get wet. But the nice thing about the Grand Californian, you can dart inside and get toasty warm almost immediately…
Also, Grizzly Run doesn’t go with full gusto on the spouting geyser during the winter, I noticed… You will get sloshed with water, but not as soaked as you would in summer. A lot depends, I guess, of how lucky you feel… :happy:

• What in the world kind of clothes should I pack? Everything I’ve read said that’s the ‘rainy season’ but when I looked at the average rainfall for January over the years it’s only like 4 inches. Ummm, we got 4 inches of rain TODAY in NJ. :laugh: Is that accurate or is it more rainy than that?

OK, that’s all I can think of now. :happy: Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Clothes for warmth and protection from rain will be sufficient…

Hope this answers your questions…

Well…um…yeah…I’ve been in January!! :slight_smile:

It can be pretty cool…not a whole lot of rain, but it can happen. Haha…how’s that for wishy washy.

The crowds are usually really light…maybe a bit more crowded on the weekends. The cold or rain tend to keep locals away though. They will still operate the water rides(unless they are down for rehab) but the geysers will probably be turned off.

Dress in layers!!! I know I’ve said it before, but that is the best options…that way you can take off or put on as needed:)

Oh…bring an umbrella to insure that it won’t rain!

Just curious, what’s the average temperature for this time of year? We actually considered driving over with the RV some time this winter, but have made absolutely no plans.

Yeah, I am curious what everyone means by cool & even ‘cold’ too. Daniel and I are outside without jackets in basically anything over 50 degrees. :laugh:

It can go below 50 at night.

All in all, the mornings and afternoons are quite pleasant. It’s the evenings with wind and rain that make the Happiest Place on Earth a miserable time… :ohmy:

The simple answer to what to pack is that there isn’t one. The best thing to to is to check the weather right before you go. We’ve been to DL in every winter month and sometimes (as it was 3 weeks ago) its very cold. But it can get very warm where all you need are shorts and a t-shirt.

We are going to be at the Grand Californian on the same weekend you are going. We are hoping to be one of the first to buy a share in the Grand California Villas.

Let me know if you have any more questions as we go to DL quite often.

Wish…I see you are going real soon!!! Will there be a TR in your future?? :happy: We are going this July, it will be our first time to DL. Can’t wait!

So we have been having some record temps here yesterday and some today as well. As I am up north near San Francisco, Santa Ana (near the airport) hit 90 yesterday! We are supposed to be having a dry spell for the next few days. I just checked the weather for Anaheim and its says that it will be in the 80s all the rest of this week.

I have never been during Jan, but maybe we will cross paths! :mickey: