Disneyland trip questions!

I am going to California for a family reunion and of course this was a perfect excuse to go to Disneyland and see the new Carsland! So, I need lots of advice! We haven’t been to Disneyland for over 10 years. There will be 4 adults and we are planning 2 full days, January 21 and 22. We are staying offsite during the reunion, but will move to the Grand Californian for the night of the 22nd.

Any advice is appreciated! I need to know if we need park hoppers, where to eat, what we absolutely cannot miss, and any sort of touring plan you recommend. Also, can we get in early on the 22nd? Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=princesslindsey;1124787]I am going to California for a family reunion and of course this was a perfect excuse to go to Disneyland and see the new Carsland! So, I need lots of advice! We haven’t been to Disneyland for over 10 years. There will be 4 adults and we are planning 2 full days, January 21 and 22. We are staying offsite during the reunion, but will move to the Grand Californian for the night of the 22nd.

Any advice is appreciated! I need to know if we need park hoppers, where to eat, what we absolutely cannot miss, and any sort of touring plan you recommend. Also, can we get in early on the 22nd? Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Yes, you need park hoppers. Hop hop hop! When they’re so close to each other, why not?

IF they are doing early entry, then yes, you can have it on your arrival day.

The park with EE on the 22nd determines your touring plan- that’ll be your second day park; the other will be your first day park. As soon as you know that, we can REALLY get serious. <g>

Eat pommes frites at Cafe Orleans, and don’t miss Cars Land. :happy:

Ok! How do I find out which park has EE on the 22nd?

I think you’ll need to wait until they publish the January calendar.

Disneyland is not near as up to date with advanced calendars but January should be out soon.

Since you only have two days I would suggest a picnic for WOC to get some good seats.

I’d be inclined to say that the picnic option is a lot less critical in the middle of January. And they’ve decimated the food choices! (Also, we all say “seats” for WoC, but that confuses people. There aren’t seats, just sections to stand in. Also- I’m not of the opinion that World of Color is such a ‘must do’… but obviously, your mileage may vary!)
Interesting… I have kind of wondered about the seating – during the day, is that area just open like a plaza?

Are you regularly WDW-goers? If so, then I would suggest checking out the things that are different in DL (Space Mountain, PoC, Haunted Mansion, the Tiki Room, etc.). It can make for an interesting game of compare-and-contrast. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride is only in DL, and good for some old-school fun. Check out the Mad Tea Party at night, which is beautiful under the open sky with the lanterns lit.

Andrea’s right (naturally :laugh:) about the frites. Make sure they’re fresh. :wub: 6-2-6 and I are fans of Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen over in DtD; they do a fantastic burger and their patio is one of our favorite lunch spots. Storyteller’s Cafe has a very good dinner buffet as well as some tasty lunch selections. If you want high-end, try Napa Rose or Carthay Circle. Menus are posted over at allears.net so you can see what’s available where and plan your meals accordingly. One of the advantages of DL is that once you step outside the parks, the city is RIGHT THERE – you don’t have to go more than a few blocks in any direction to find offsite alternatives, so don’t feel like you’re limited to in-park options. You aren’t. :cool:

Great tips! I plan on trying to hit all the things that are different (and Mr. Toad is definitely on that list, we miss it at WDW!) and I do think we need to see World of Color since we’ve never seen it before. I’m just waiting for the calendar to post so I can really plan!

:redface: I added incorrectly. I was thinking this trip was in the middle of Spring Breaks. No, January would have no need of a special “seating” for WoC.

Great blog, I will add this blog to my favorites.I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!!

Here is a link with more information: Early Admission Options | Disneyland Resort

Right now, it says that "The current Extra Magic Hour schedule allows registered Resort Hotel Guests access to one park on these select days:

Disneyland Park: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays

Disney California Adventure Park (including access to the brand new Cars Land): Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays"

There are some other options on the link that you might be able to use as well!

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1125564]Here is a link with more information: Early Admission Options | Disneyland Resort

Right now, it says that "The current Extra Magic Hour schedule allows registered Resort Hotel Guests access to one park on these select days:

Disneyland Park: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays

Disney California Adventure Park (including access to the brand new Cars Land): Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays"

There are some other options on the link that you might be able to use as well![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link! As long as this schedule stays the same, it looks like I will be going to Disneyland Park early on Tuesday…now I can really get planning!

Disneyland is not near as up to date with advanced calendars but January should be out soon.

Since you only have two days I would suggest a picnic for WOC to get some good seats.

The Aladdin show in CA is a must-do for our family. There are no bad seats, so don’t worry about getting there too early. Paradise Pier has some great restaurants, and it’s not too far from Carsland.

it’s a small world is really different from WDW, with the dolls dressed as characters. We like to see how many we can count each time we ride. Also, Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald all have houses in Toon Town, so it’s worth just taking 15 minutes and walking through.

I really enjoy the Aladdin show! They keep threatening to close it… then don’t close it. I’m not sure what the current status is.

We did the Walk in Walts Footsteps tour and loved it!
The only way for us mere mortals to step our toes in Club 33 :slight_smile:
If you have a Disney Visa there still may be 20% off tours if you ask. Have fun!

[QUOTE=zoey9797;1127371]We did the Walk in Walts Footsteps tour and loved it!
The only way for us mere mortals to step our toes in Club 33 :slight_smile:
If you have a Disney Visa there still may be 20% off tours if you ask. Have fun![/QUOTE]

Ohhh, how I’d love to see Club 33…I will look into this! Thanks!

Ok, I’m officially planning…I’m not going crazy with the plans, but it looks like we will definitely be hopping around to catch everything I want to do…

21st-DCA at opening…Cars Land for sure first. No official plans on what to do in that park after that. We need to get to DL later this day, though, because a couple of rides are closing for refurbishment the next day! Then I plan on watching the fireworks in the evening. Any suggestions on where to watch from?

22nd-DL early admission, I have no touring plan for the park. We will go over to DCA later and finish up what we missed on the first day and see World of Color. Where do we watch this from?

Any suggestions for touring plans or anything else?? Thanks!

Oh, do I need to make any dining reservations or should we be able to walk up to places??