Disneyland Trip

Thank you all for the info on Disneyland. I had to hear it from my 9 yr old all weekend about how he wants to go. I did a quick quote and it would probably cost us about 4K-5K to go. Air fare for the three of us could be anywhere from $1700-$1900, plus hotel for 4 or 5 days, then add in food and tickets. It would probably be a once in a lifetime trip so I think I would want to stay at the hotel that is closest to the park. We wouldnt need a suite or upgraded room but even a standard room I am anticipating to be pricey.

So it looks like our disneyland trip is going to be something we will have to save a long time for. There are so many things we need to do at home (need to replace laminate flooring, need new blinds, etc) that the timing just isnt right for a cross country vacation. We will have to stick with our 3 hr drive to Orlando for now.

Sorry to hear you won’t be going to Disneyland, but at least your only 3 hours away from Disney World.

You might consider submitting a “name your own price” on a 3-4 star hotel in Anaheim (or neighboring Garden Grove for the Hyatt) and get a sweet room for approximately $50.00 a night. Priceline has never let me down with hotel rooms, and having 1/2 to 1/4 the cost for a bed does wonders for what you can do in enjoying your trip. Or you could perhaps do like Voldemort and obtain a package deal where you can get the hopper ticket/good neighbor hotel package. Apparently she got a very nice deal with the Candy Cane Inn that was a nice hotel and a short walk to the parks. :pirate:

One thing I’ve never liked about the Disneyland resorts dining plan.
Unlike WDW where you get x number of meals that include entree, dessert, and beverage, the Disneyland version is a fixed amount of vouchers for various dollar amounts, and they never add up to what the meal actually costs. I found it very infuriating to be doing so much math in order to figure out how many vouchers we could use at each meal and how much we were paying out of pocket, and every meal was partly out of pocket, even the buffets.
We were there last in 2005 and it could have changed since then, but on the flip side, in 2005, the WDW plan was appetizer, entree, dessert, and tip.

We had to take a family trip to LA last year to look at a couple of medical schools DD is interested in and while there I decided we would spend a couple of days at Disneyland.

We stayed at the Grand Californian and enjoyed the experience overall, but decided it was a once in a lifetime trip. None of us feel an urge to return. I thought the California Adventure was sub-par for a Disney experience, still better then any non-Disney park, but not on same level as WDW.

On the plus side, experiencing Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and It’s a Small World were like going for the first time. The facade on IASW is almost worth the trip, I was truly stunned by it. Again, I am glad we went, but now I am saving my pennies to take my Grandson to WDW in a few years.

Best,
Harry

DCA suffers from many of the same problems that Universal’s IOA suffers from.
The park opened with an insufficient number of attractions and they haven’t really added enough fast enough in the intervening 12 years.

At least DCA is working on it! :happy: I’ve never been that impressed with it since it’s such a mishmash of a concept, but at least they’re trying to fix it.

The Aladdin show is top-notch, I love how TSM fits on the Boardwalk. I don’t have a clue how Ariel fits in conceptually… but I’m looking forward to seeing it. :flowers:

Cara, I say keep saving your pennies… Disneyland will be waiting for you whenever you’re ready to go!

The great thing about Disneyland is that you don’t have to stay “on site.” I know, I know…I would never do this at WDW, but Disneyland is so much smaller, or should I say intimate :wub: There are awesome, inexpensive hotels across or down the street. Most of them have continental breakfasts, shuttles, and other perks. Seriously, you don’t have to stay on property to be close to the action at Disneyland, so keep your options open :happy:

As for DCA, there’s soo much to do, you just gotta get off the beaten path. Sure there’s TOT, TSM, and Soarin’, but there’s other awesome stuff that WDW just doesn’t have!
…Monster’s Inc - maybe my favorite ‘dark ride’ (after Peter Pan of course :wub:) There is NEVER a wait and it’s awesome. Seriously, this is a hidden gem!.. The Aladdin Show - I hate shows, I love this (Jungle Cruise Skippers ain’t got nothin’ on Genie. Hilarious!)…Mickey’s Sun Wheel (or something like that) My friend has 20 minutes on video of me screaming/ laughing on the swinging gondolas. Scariest ride at Disney! :laugh:…World of Color. Need I say more?.. & last but not least, my favorite attraction from any Disney Park, the Art of Animation building. Nothing like WDW’s, this is worth the whole trip for any Disneyholic. You could spend hours in here. The Beast’s Magical Library, Ariel’s Grotto, and a hall that surrounds you with the sights and sounds of classic Disney movies :wub: I could go on and on…
Not to mention The Little Mermaid ride opens next month, Cars land next year…I’m just sayin :laugh:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1075359]At least DCA is working on it! :happy: I’ve never been that impressed with it since it’s such a mishmash of a concept, but at least they’re trying to fix it.

The Aladdin show is top-notch, I love how TSM fits on the Boardwalk. I don’t have a clue how Ariel fits in conceptually… but I’m looking forward to seeing it. :flowers:

Cara, I say keep saving your pennies… Disneyland will be waiting for you whenever you’re ready to go![/QUOTE]

Yes! Working on it and getting better each passing season! I agree about Aladdin! I love how it changes just a little bit each time because of Genie’s comments on current events:happy:

Ariel? Hmmm…let me thing…it takes place under the sea and it’s near Paradise Pier which would be over the ocean? How’s that?:huh::laugh::laugh: We can’t wait to experience this ride in September!!! Of course, I’ll get to hear all about it in your TR…right?:closedeye

We really can’t wait for Carsland!!!

[QUOTE=Peppertink;1075443]Yes! Working on it and getting better each passing season! I agree about Aladdin! I love how it changes just a little bit each time because of Genie’s comments on current events:happy:

Ariel? Hmmm…let me thing…it takes place under the sea and it’s near Paradise Pier which would be over the ocean? How’s that?:huh::laugh::laugh: We can’t wait to experience this ride in September!!! Of course, I’ll get to hear all about it in your TR…right?:closedeye

We really can’t wait for Carsland!!![/QUOTE]

I can’t, either! It looks like it’s going to be AMAZING.

At least the Piston Cup final takes place in California!