Disneyland

Well, I am planning a trip to Cali in '11 and I was hoping some of you could help me out! Even though I have been to WDW literally hundreds of times, I have never been to Disneyland. Ever. And I was just curious about a few things…

For example, is it better to stay at one of their three resorts as opposed to say, the Double Tree Anaheim (which I have stayed at numerous times for business, even though time did not allow for “Disney” :frown:)?

How many days would I need to see everything at both parks (either the last week of March, or the last week of April)?

If you have been to both WDW and DL, what attractions are exactly the same (I know the Haunted Mansion is slightly different in Cali compared to the HM in Orlando)?

Are the on site restaurants as good or better than the restaurants you can find at the WDW Resort?

Thank you in advance!

[QUOTE=papa bear;1056141]
For example, is it better to stay at one of their three resorts as opposed to say, the Double Tree Anaheim (which I have stayed at numerous times for business, even though time did not allow for “Disney” :frown:)[/QUOTE]

It is fun to have the experience of the Disney owned hotels. There are a few perks but the cost differences are quite drastic. We love the Disneyland Hotel and own DVC at the Grand (there is nothing better than the Grand). If you stay offsite I recommend the Howard Johnson.

How many days would I need to see everything at both parks (either the last week of March, or the last week of April)[/QUOTE]

Three days is the typical answer. Two days at Disneyland and one day at CA. If it was my first time I would go for 4 or 5 though. CA will be under a lot of construction.

If you have been to both WDW and DL, what attractions are exactly the same (I know the Haunted Mansion is slightly different in Cali compared to the HM in Orlando)[/QUOTE]

I don’t know any that are exactly the same. Although there are some that are obviously similar. They each have there own unique twists.

Are the on site restaurants as good or better than the restaurants you can find at the WDW Resort?[/QUOTE]

The onsite restaurants do not even come close to comparison to WDW. There just isn’t the quantity or the selection. That being said, some of our favorites are the Tratorria in CA and Cafe New Orleans (the famous Monte Cristo) in DL. If you want atmosphere in DL go to the Blue Bayou (similar food as Cafe New Orleans but you sit in the Pirates of the Carribean ride.)

My suggestion would be to not compare everything to WDW but take DL as it is. There are definite similarities but there are drastic differences as well.

There is never enough time!

Three days would probably do it… but lately I’m leaning toward more, probably because I’m with kids. If it’s just me, I can do the whole thing in a day and a half. :biggrin:

I really like the Bengal BBQ at DL for a quick lunch, although seating is a problem. For just burgers/fries/ribs, the Taste Pilot’s Grill at DCA is better than the usual faire.

The Pommes Frittes at Cafe Orleans are really, really good.

The Blue Bayou is just okay, as far as food, but the atmosphere can’t be beat. It is pricier than the quality of food deserves, even by theme park standards! I recommend just going for dessert… and it’s worth it to wait for a waterside table.

Ah… Soarin’! The ride experience of Soarin’ is exactly like the one at Epcot. (Not unexpected, huh?) Preshow is totally different, though. WDW provides a lot more entertainment for a long queue.

I was perfectly fine at offsite hotels (and as you know, Doubletree has cookies! Never underestimate cookies!), until I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. The new rooms are just gorgeous and I really like it there.

Depending on how long you stay, you might want to look at an annual pass for one person, because you can get some good room discounts at the Disneyland Hotels.

Definitely hit rope drop. There have been times where I realize I’ve only been there two hours but I’ve done nearly all the major attractions.

You can’t beat the Disneyland Hotel. But if you have to stay off site I would book the Anabella, good food, clean, nice pool, good deals and close with good transportation if needed. Stayed at several hotels and time shares. Those are the best for the price.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

When I stayed at the Doubletree last summer (near the Block at Orange), I noticed that the parking lots were “full” (during a week day) around the Downtown Disney area… Is that usual for DL or is it just seasonal?

And what’s the best way to view Fantasmic! and World of Color? A friend told me that people literately tape blankets to the ground early in the day and no one seems to stop them from “staking out their territory” for the evening shows lol… Is that true?

[QUOTE=papa bear;1056285]Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

When I stayed at the Doubletree last summer (near the Block at Orange), I noticed that the parking lots were “full” (during a week day) around the Downtown Disney area… Is that usual for DL or is it just seasonal?

And what’s the best way to view Fantasmic! and World of Color? A friend told me that people literately tape blankets to the ground early in the day and no one seems to stop them from “staking out their territory” for the evening shows lol… Is that true?[/QUOTE]

Parking lots are frequently full. Lots of people drive.

The blanket thing is totally true about Fantasmic along the river’s edge (don’t try it on the bridge!). I don’t know what time it starts, but I’ve seen it mid-afternoon. Someone should stay with it, though.

WOC is an entirely different beast. It requires a show pass (like a fast pass) and squatters get kicked out of the viewing area. For that, I would wait until just before your trip and see what the current practice is then.

Wow, that’s crazy!

What ride (that you can’t find at WDW) at either park is a “must do”? And does anyone know if “Cars” land will be ready by Spring?

We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn last April and LOVED it!! Such a short walk to the park. We only went for 2 days and saw what we wanted to, but they were very long days so I would stay at least 4 days.

Space Mountain, Autotopia, It’s a Small World and the Pooh ride were much better at DL than WDW. Make sure you go on the Indiana Jones attraction - really good! So many things are different at DL. For one everything feels less spread out and most of the ques are outside, which was weird to get used to at first. That made things feel a bit congested. The weather was incredible in April, lovely days and cool nights.

World of Color was under construction, so we did miss that. We ate at Cafe Orleans and had a really good time at the BBQ show (can’t remember the name right now) - I highly recommend that!

I must strongly, strongly disagree about Pooh at DL. Compared to WDW, I don’t think Disneyland’s cheap version is good at all!

But Indy is a must-do… even if it used to be so much cooler.

I love doing the canoes, but I seem to be the only freak of nature who gets excited about them.

I’m in agreement with Andrea about Pooh:) I was so disappointed when it opened.

Indy is indeed a must do! Don’t forget Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride and Alice in Wonderland:) Oh…and the Matterhorn too.

One of our favorite places to eat is at the Carnation Cafe…breakfast or lunch!! We love the baked potato soup there…mmmmmm

The last time we visited DCA for World of Color we did the dinner/WOC package. If the parks are busy…this is a great way to get a good spot without having to stake it out a long time in advance. We ate at the Tratorria(sp) and enjoyed a very nice, relaxed meal then got to wander around before we went to the preferred viewing area.

Pirates is also much longer in DL! And don’t miss the Indiana Jones ride…it is our FAVORITE!!

Can’t wait to hear about your trip! Sounds like fun.

I just watched the video for the Matterhorn Bobsleds ride and it looks really cool. Is it similar to AK’s Expedition Everest?

And I just came across a news article that mentions that “Cars Land” wont be open until the end of '12…

[QUOTE=papa bear;1056457]I just watched the video for the Matterhorn Bobsleds ride and it looks really cool. Is it similar to AK’s Expedition Everest?

And I just came across a news article that mentions that “Cars Land” wont be open until the end of '12…[/QUOTE]

The only similarity is that they both have a “monster”. Other than that…nope!

[QUOTE=papa bear;1056457]I just watched the video for the Matterhorn Bobsleds ride and it looks really cool. Is it similar to AK’s Expedition Everest?

And I just came across a news article that mentions that “Cars Land” wont be open until the end of '12…[/QUOTE]

history of matterhorn,first tubular roller coaster,i guess you could say expedition everestt,but the much more modern version,much ,much,if you ride matterhorn ride it at night,and about the same rides in my opinion most are different even splash,space is different,pirates is much better,like someone else said,soarin and bugs life are the same …disney took the technology for RRC and took it outside and made it much longer with screamin,even though things will seem the same they are different,all the same it is disney,so enjoy.

[QUOTE=Goodegirl2007;1056367]Pirates is also much longer in DL! And don’t miss the Indiana Jones ride…it is our FAVORITE!!

Can’t wait to hear about your trip! Sounds like fun.[/QUOTE]

indy is the same ride technology of dinosaur,it has been toned down on some effects …the good thing is they have perfected the technology for the ride and there are much fewer e stops…

with regard to hotels …on propert trumps off but we have stayed very often at the hyatt regency,very good and dependable free transportation to and from the parks,and as far as off property restaurants there is at least 4-5 surrounding the property