Disney's Big 2012 Announcement

So the big news is out about Disney promotion for 2012. What do you all think?

Personally, I think they could have done a lot better!
I don’t think anything can compare to the 2 Years of Year of a Million Dreams.

[I][B]ANAHEIM, Calif. and LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., Jan. 1, 2012 – /PRNewswire/ – Disney Parks guests can get the most out of February 29 when Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Resort in California celebrate Leap Year by keeping a theme park on each coast open for 24 hours of nonstop memory-making fun.For the first time ever, both the Magic Kingdom Park and Disneyland Park will stay open for 24 hours straight as part of a bi-coastal salute called “One More Disney Day.” From 6 a.m., February 29 to 6 a.m., March 1, 2012, local time, guests can fill the extra day of leap year with a marathon of Disney magic and fun.And for 60 days straight – from Jan. 1, 2012 to Feb. 29, 2012 – a daily winner will be chosen in the “Disney Parks One More Disney Day Sweepstakes” to receive a Disney Parks vacation. One entrant each day will win a vacation for four to make memories at either Disneyland Resort in California or Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.* For the past year, Disney Parks has invited guests to “let the memories begin,” noted Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “We’re honored that so many guests have shared their Disney memories with us as part of ‘Let the Memories Begin’, and I’m pleased to announce that the campaign will continue throughout 2012,” Staggs said. "To celebrate, for the first time ever, the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Parks will remain open for 24 hours on Leap Day, so that our guests can take advantage of every minute of their extra day to make memories with friends and family."In addition to the extra time, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Resort in California will feature a special offer: Guests get one more day and night of memory making, free when they buy a 3-night/3-day non-discounted Walt Disney Travel Co. room and ticket package at select Walt Disney World or Disneyland Resort hotels. The package offer is good for arrivals most nights Feb. 26 – March 10, 2012 and must be booked by Jan. 31, 2012. In 2011, Disney Parks has encouraged families to “Let the Memories Begin,” with guests celebrating their only-at-Disney memories by sharing their vacation stories, photos and videos online at DisneyParks.com/memories.Guests can find out more information about other Disneyland Resort offers and tickets at Disneyland Resort | Welcome to the Magic and other Walt Disney World Resort hotel and ticket offers at Walt Disney World Resort. Guests can find out more information about “One More Disney Day” and get official rules for the “Disney Parks One More Disney Day Sweepstakes” at www.OneMoreDisneyDay.com.Select attractions, entertainment and services will be available for 24 hours. Subject to capacity restrictions. Valid theme park admission required. NO PURCHASE/ TEXT MESSAGE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Open only to persons who are, as of Entry, legal residents of, and physically located within, the 50 U.S., D.C. or Canada (excluding Quebec) and who are not Minors. Sweepstakes starts 12:01 AM (EST) on 1/1/12 and ends 11:59:59 PM (EST) on 2/29/12. To enter, send on your cell phone the key word “DISNEYDAY” as an SMS text message to the SMS shortcode 347639 (Disney). Msg. & data rates may apply. Or to enter for free and for Official Rules, visit Disney.com/memoriessweeps. If entering via SMS you will receive a confirmation text in response to your entry. LIMIT: ONE ENTRY ALLOWED PER PERSON/Cell/Address for each day. Sponsor: Disney Online 500 S. Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521.* Number of rooms allocated for this offer is limited. Room charge based on average per night rate of applicable room during stay. Offer is valid for bookings from 1/1/12 through 1/31/12 for arrivals from 2/26/12 through 3/10/12. One (1) consecutive night will be added to the hotel stay and one (1) day added to the tickets. Offer applied once per package/reservation and excludes suites. Disneyland® Resort multi-day tickets expire 13 days after first use or 3/23/12, whichever occurs first, Walt Disney World® tickets are for one theme park per day and must be used within 14 days of first use. Each day of use of a ticket constitutes one full day of use. Advanced reservations required. No group rates or other discounts apply. Subject to restrictions and change without notice. Check for packages of other lengths of stay. Walt Disney Travel Company CST: 1022229-50. ©Disney

Read more here: Leap Year 2012 Calls for ‘One More Disney Day’ as Walt Disney World, Disneyland Resorts Turn Feb. 29 Into 24 Hours of Nonstop Theme Park Magic - PR Newswire - sacbee.com[/B][/I]

hummmmm not sure about this it is very limited.

Not really impressed… I think they could do better too. Now, if they take one of those winners and do something really, really special for them… then it would be better. But really, what are they going to have to come out with in March? I think after reading reports of 4 hour waits at soarin, then I don’t think that they will have to pull out all the stops to get people there.

I don’t think they’re done. With FL opening later this year I think something else big is coming to draw people in. We’ll have to see.

*edit- yesterday I had a whole day of spelling goof’s, which MB was (un)lucky enough to be part of :blush:

Since i’m here i’ll add my true thoughts on it. This is nice for those who already plan to be there and can benefit from it. Other than those close enough for day trips I don’t see this carrot dangling on the 29th worth booking a special trip for, just for the extra hours. Disney has people spoiled with their deeper discounts and I believe most people will snub it this time around while waiting for something bigger/better. Sounds like they’re jumping the shark on this one.
If anyone here does go you must report back how it went.

I just remember them saying they were through with big promotions… but now they have free dining regularly… We will see…

I really liked the 2 years of year of a million dreams. I didn’t win anything, but it was nice to know I had a chance. The park being open 24 hours doesn’t impress me, because my DH and I wouln’t use that promotion even if we were at WDW during that promotional time. I know alot of MB love the free dining, but being a DVC member we never get to take advantage of this promotion and in my opinion since the started free dining the quality of the food has gone down hill.

I think the concept of having the park open for 24 hours is cool, but…

They picked a terrible day! Well, Leap Day just happened to fall on a terrible day… a Wednesday! Middle of the week… you can’t extend a weekend to a Wednesday whichever way you try. :pinch:

I’m just disappointed I won’t be able to go.

Yeah…not so exciting…

I can just imagine those 24 hours being miserable! Families that are exhausted and a park that is super packed… doesn’t sound like fun to me!

Kinda lame, especially compared to the ‘million dreams’ promo. And even if we did plan to go that week (which we’re not), we’re never at the parks later than 10 because we’d rather get up and get going early (but not THAT early) so it wouldn’t do us any good anyway. Oh well, I’m sure some are excited about it.

I have to say I was kind of bummed over the “big announcement.” However I will be entering that contest every day! :laugh:

The park being open 24 hours sounds great to me. It’s right in the middle of our visit so an all nighter is doable. I don’t see it being overly crowded due to the reasons already mentioned. That was projected to be the slowest day of the week with ultra low crowd levels.

And, no one is going to stay in there for a full 24 hours… You might stay 18, but if you have kids there is no way you can be there a full 24 hours. Might be fun to try though…

But still, it can only affect a few people, and only for one day. I think that is the disappointment. You watch the commercial, and then you immediately think that it is not for you-so therefore the lack of enthusiasm…

I would try the full 24 hours… if it wasn’t on a Wednesday!!!

I can’t wait to do MK at 3 AM.
It won’t matter how many people have been there that day, because in the middle of the night, most people will be in bed. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

And Wednesday actually works for us.

Pulling an all nighter as part of staying in the MK for 24 hrs is something I would do. How many people could claim they were members of a 24 hour club. If they only served alcohol the time would be more fun.

But I believe Pam plans on us hitting the last week of the F&G show as our next trip.

6am on the 29th to 6am on the 1st, only to close and re-open at regular park time a few hours later. Oh the poor CM’s. They will be drained. You know they’ll staff heavy for the extra traffic they’re anticipating but to run a decent crew after hours will take it’s toll on them. Hope everyone remember’s that and doesn’t show their bottom ends when they don’t get what they want as fast as they want it.

Another group to feel for…the children being drug out to all hours of the night by parents trying to Park Commando to do it all as long as they can so they’ll get their money’s worth.

I have a feeling there will be quite a few attitudes that will deserve a good smack upside the head come 3-4am that day. Any takers to do the dirty deeds :laugh::laugh::laugh:

But do you think the whole park will be open? I’m wondering if they may rotate lands or rides being opened and closed while they do the normal maintenance routine.

I just hope that if kids are drug out that late, they are in strollers so they can possibly sleep.

Not too thrilled with the announcement, but then again we have 36 opportunities to win during our upcoming trip. We’ll be there for 9 days with 4 adults attending, so each day we have 4 people who could possibly win. Multiply that times the number of days we will be there…WE COULD JUST WIN and not have to use any vacation points during our stay. Okay, so I am just dreaming and wishing - that is what Disney is all about. Please, no one bring up the fact that we are just 4 of thousands of people visiting each of our 9 days and our odds are greatly decreased.

Wish us luck!