Disney's Habit Heroes Accused of Fat Shaming

So what do you all think?

Disney’s Habit Heroes Accused of “fat-shaming” | Parenting - Yahoo! Shine

On one hand, I see the point. There’s a balance beam to walk between saying “these habits are bad” and “YOU are bad”.

My other thought is… does anyone NOT know what eating habits are unhealthy? Most people who struggle with weight issues and eating bad food already know it’s bad, there are a lot of other things going on that cause poor choices. It’s not like this is going to be a huge thunderbolt to anyone’s brain: “Wait! You mean I’m supposed to eat more broccoli and fewer Twinkies? WHO KNEW??? I’ll get on that right now!”

It’s such an emotional issue- even if the display is saying “these habits are bad”… no one needs to be made to feel uncomfortable on vacation.

This was a big story on the local news last night.

I personally was thinking about the mix message…you know you see all these bad things that make you fat and then go back out into the park and BAM all those bad things are being marketed to you by the same people that just told you they were bad.

I was just reading this and I do have to agree with one of the problems of promoting this attraction-

“One problem with the exhibit that’s harder to fix is its location. Disneyworld has it’s share of restaurant options, but it’s still a theme park. Funnel cakes and hot dogs are just what you do while you wait on line for Space Mountain. “You want to promote good heath? Start by looking at your own sugar and animal fat-laden menus,” writes Salon’s Williams. It’s hard to practice healthy eating in the happiest place on earth”

They’re telling someone not to do something that they’re pushing right around the next corner. Kind of like Do As I Say, Not As I Do. :wink:
Disney’s smart enough to find a way to promote both in the end though. Actually they already do with Living With the Land.

You know…you’d THINK people do know healthy eating habits, but it’s surprising how many don’t have a clue. They’ll give their kids a mega-bowl of Lucky Charms with marshmallows for breakfast and say - well it’s healthy - it’s cereal… I can never get the image of the massively overweight family waiting in line at the Haunted Mansion - early entery - probably 8:00 a.m. - and their two year old sucking on a lollipop bigger than her head. Just sad, really.

Personally, I don’t think fat fairies are going to do the trick. I don’t know why Disney feels that they have to stick a fairy or a princess in every story to get people’s attention and I really don’t like the idea of telling children that “fat” is “bad” and “ugly”. The message should be “you’re a special person and we want you to be healthy”. I’m sure someone out there could have figured out an intelligent, interesting, fun activity to teach healthy eating and lifestyle. Sad thing is - I don’t think most are interested. Look what happened to the Wonders of Life Pavillion…

I’m not bothered by little kids getting endless treats at Disney (my father feels that providing such things is his absolute, incontrovertible right as a grandparent), but it is sad if it appears that lollipops for breakfast are par for the course in every day life.

I think I can safely say that in this case, lollipops were one of the mainstays of her diet…

I completely agree. Yes, people want to learn on vacation… but they typically don’t want to learn about how to be a “better person.”

I think the Yahoo article is a little extreme with the comparison of skinny Ariel to “fat” Ursula. Ursula is an octapus. There are plenty of other scenarios in which case a “good” character is a little large - Fairy Godmother, Aurora’s three fairies, Belle’s dad, Jasmine’s dad, etc. And then Ursula is really the only large villain. The evil queen in Snow White is stick-thin - Cruella DeVil, Lady Tremaine, Jafar, Maleficent… the author strategically chose the only example [I can think of] with a ‘heavy’ villain (I quote heavy because she’s an octopus).

He must have gone to the same grandparent class as my folks.:laugh:

But god forbid I waver from my heart healthy diet.:mad:

All I know is that when I saw the “bad habits” posters for this upcoming attraction in EPCOT when I was there in January it reminded me how fat I was. Then within 30 minutes I was eating caramel popcorn from the German pavilion & also felt guilty throwing away the included dessert with my counter service lunch so I ate it. :laugh:

Exactly. I go to WDW to escape reality - I don’t need more guilt. I justify the extra eating with the extra walking.

Funny thing is that no matter how much we end up eating in the World Pam and I work it off in the parks. And we do hit the junk food while we are there. We’re on vacation after all.

My DH and I actually were able to participate in this attraction a few weeks ago before it was closed and I think this article is going a little overboard. Although I do think parts of it may have been in poor taste, I never felt like I was being told I was fat or being bullied.

With that being said, this attraction could have easily be one of the dumbest things Disney has ever come up with and not because of these reasons. The first room seem a little dangerous to me, with people running all over the place and not paying attention to where they were going because you couldn’t take your eyes of the screen above you. In the second room where you had to shoot the food the directions were so bad I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I just kept on shooting these blueberries at different things on the screen and nothing seemed to be happening.

I am curious if anybody else got to experience this attraction in the short time it was open and what there thoughts are?

The whole issue is rather silly. Fact is someone is always looking to find fault with others, whether it be individuals or companies. Frankly, I WANT the Nestled Toll House Ice Cream Sandwiches back, transfat and all!

I want the Nestle Chef’s Challenge in Sunshine Season’s back. Those treats were yummy :happy:

[QUOTE=PeterPansPixie;1103489]My DH and I actually were able to participate in this attraction a few weeks ago before it was closed and I think this article is going a little overboard. Although I do think parts of it may have been in poor taste, I never felt like I was being told I was fat or being bullied.

With that being said, this attraction could have easily be one of the dumbest things Disney has ever come up with and not because of these reasons. The first room seem a little dangerous to me, with people running all over the place and not paying attention to where they were going because you couldn’t take your eyes of the screen above you. In the second room where you had to shoot the food the directions were so bad I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I just kept on shooting these blueberries at different things on the screen and nothing seemed to be happening.

I am curious if anybody else got to experience this attraction in the short time it was open and what there thoughts are?[/QUOTE]

I’ve read a few reviews online about this Habit Heros and they’ve all pretty much said the same as you have here!

Seems to me like Disney have rushed into a poorly thought idea, and executed it too soon too. It’ll be interesting to see how long Habit Heros will last in it’s current form, perhaps Disney will see all this talk online and have second thoughts?

I’m glad to hear that all the news organizations have to worry about reporting is stuff like this.

It’s not like the government is spending money ;like a drunken sailer, tons of people unemployed and losing their homes, or gas prices are killing us due to poor political decisions of the past 30 years!

Good gawd…faty shamming!

I’m hungry.

Seems like its been closed down

http://http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/disney-shutters-childhood-obesity-exhibit-habit-heroes-complaints-article-1.1031939

Well that didn’t last long!:laugh:

[QUOTE=dixie;1103660]Seems like its been closed down

Disney shutters Habit Heroes childhood obesity exhibit after complaints - NY Daily News

Well that didn’t last long!:laugh:[/QUOTE]

After watching the video of the attraction (at the bottom of the article dixie so kindly linked to) I can’t see what all the uproar is about.

The on suggestion I would make is shorten the roles of the two host and put more re-enforcment in the actual games.

(stupid special interest groups getting all offended over nothing…)

Forgive my insensitivity here, but there is really an organization called the “National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance?”??? I mean, I think it’s unfortunate we stigmatize and judge people based on their weight. I HATE the airbrushed fake females on the front of supermarket magazines. A person’s worth is not in exterior appearance. But you can’t discount heart disease, diabetes, and a host of other complications that shorten life and reduce it’s enjoyment. My mother-in-law is currently in a situation where she needs her gallbladder removed, but they can’t preform the surgery because her obesity is putting too much stress on her already damaged liver.

There’s nothing wrong with being overweight, but ANYTHING in excess is unhealthy.

Otherwise, this sounds like it was a dumb exhibit to begin with.