Disney's Magical Express Question

We will be using the magical express for the first time this month to go to the POFQ and was wondering if anyone knows how many stops it makes before reaching my hotel? I want to try and figure out approximately how long it will take to get to the hotel.

Thanks

I’ve never needed it myself, but from all the posts I’ve read for years now, it looks like there’s no way to predict if you’re on a one stop bus or if you’re going to be the first or the last of how many resorts being serviced. It’s very likely that your bus will service both Port Orleans hotels, and it’s highly likely that it will be FQ and then Riverside.
My advice would be just sit back, relax, and assume you’ll get where you’re going about 80 minutes after the bus leaves the airport.

Unless somebody has a story they want to share.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1052794]I’ve never needed it myself, but from all the posts I’ve read for years now, it looks like there’s no way to predict if you’re on a one stop bus or if you’re going to be the first or the last of how many resorts being serviced. It’s very likely that your bus will service both Port Orleans hotels, and it’s highly likely that it will be FQ and then Riverside.
My advice would be just sit back, relax, and assume you’ll get where you’re going about 80 minutes after the bus leaves the airport.

Unless somebody has a story they want to share.[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right to me - we stopped at Saratoga Springs Resort then on to POFQ on the way back we picked up at 3 resorts.

chill out and enjoy the ride.

I agree you never really know since sometimes you may be in a line that shows only one stop but then they add other resort stops just to fill the bus. We have used the magical express about 3 times and usually give around 40 to 80 min from airport to hotel.

We used Magical Express last October to go to the POFQ. It took about an hour and we stopped at Old Key West and then on to POFQ. Have a great time we really enjoyed going in October. As others have said it depends on how many other guests are arriving in Orlando at the time and where they are staying.

I use the magical express when we go to WDW, but to be honest with you, I’m usually so happy to be going to Disney that I’ve never timed how long it too us to get to our hotel. When I went in April, we stayed in OKW, and the bus stopped in PO before we went to OKW. So maybe depending on the # of guest going to which hotel is how the bus route goes?

There are no pre-set routes. Guests have to make reservations, so Disney knows about how many guests are going to which resorts at what times. This allows them to group resorts on buses to make for the most efficient routes possible, which means that the resorts POFQ is grouped with this morning may be different than the resorts it’s grouped with this afternoon.

In addition, there is no pre-set order of drop-offs. When the DME driver pulls up at the airport pick-up spot, he/she is told what resorts will be on the bus. It is up to the driver to decide the order of the drop-offs. Most drivers will tend to do it geographically, like closest to the airport first, farthest from the airport last. But this isn’t a rule, it’s just human nature … they’re permitted to do whatever they want.

So if it’s a busy day and there are people going to every resort at that time, POFQ will be grouped with other “DD” zone resorts, which include Port Orleans Riverside, Saratoga Springs Resort, Old Key West Resort, and Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. There will be a maximum of 4 resorts on the bus. If the bus has drop-offs in two or more zones, then there’ll be a maximum of 3 resorts on that bus, to make up for the extra driving time.

The one time I rode DME to POFQ, we were the first drop-off, followed by POR and then Fort Wilderness. Either there were no guests going to SSR and OKW at that time, or there were so many guests going to SSR and OKW at that time that they filled up their own bus. Like I said, they group resorts on buses based on their reservations data.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the comments - getting really excited with only 8 1/2 days left

And OMG I don’t have anything packed yet except my MNSSHP tickets

Donny, remember that you do not know when your bags will be dropped off at your room. So either grab your bags yourself at the airport and take them to the bus with you, or take a few items in your carryon, like a swimsuit, so you can play until the bags arrive.

We once arrived in the morning, and the bags didn’t arrive until bedtime. Not a big deal at all, and we played at the parks the whole time anyway. But if it had been a pool day, we would have been out of luck.

When you get on ME, there is a movie playing, and the bus is themed out, and it’s fun. It makes you feel like your vacation started as soon as you got out of the airport.

We had friends use the ME a few trips ago, arriving first thing in the morning…their bags didn’t arrive until after 11pm! They were not the happiest of people about that considering they had been travelling in the same clothes for over 18hours and had nothing to change into until the cases arrived! EEk!

We only exerienced Magical Express on the way home last trip due to some confusion and mix up with the information given to us by the airline but we loved the experience. Coach had made one pick up before us then one after us and we were off to the airport! The video they play is amusing but definatly kept rubbing in the fact that we where on our way home!

In the DME packet mailed to guests, Disney recommends you pack your carry-on with your immediate needs. They say to expect your bags within 3 hours of when you check-in at your resort.

When bags are late, it’s easy to blame Disney for the delay. But in a lot of cases, Disney is the hero and not the cause.

Consider what happens when your AIRLINE delays your luggage. Disney can’t possibly get your bags to you on-time if your bags didn’t fly into Orlando on the same airplane as you did.

And consider what happens under normal circumstances if your bags are delayed. On any other flight, you wait and wait at the baggage claim carousel, and when you waste time and finally realize your bags aren’t there, you waste more time going to your airline’s baggage office and wait in line with other unhappy people, and fill out a form and make a claim for your bags.

When your airline finally realizes they accidentally sent your bags to MCI (Kansas City) instead of MCO (Orlando), they have to then fly the bags to MCO. Then they pass the bags off to a third party contractor who is supposed to deliver the bags to you. But they don’t always do this in a timely manner, as the contractor will make more money of they wait until there are multiple deliveries to make at one time.

But when this happens and you use DME, you don’t even know that your airline delays your bags. This is because Disney acts as your agent to make a claim for your bags with the airline. When you checked-in with a DME cast member, you were asked how many bags you tagged with DME tags. If within a reasonable amount of time that number of bags associated with your reservation haven’t been scanned into the system (each DME tag has a bar code), Disney will start searching for your bags. They start at the baggage claim carousel, then your airline’s baggage office as well as behind-the-scenes, but eventually they put a claim in for you with your airline. When your airline finally flies your bags to MCO, DME automatically delivers them just like all the other DME luggage.

So think about how much DME just helped you … instead of waiting and waiting for your bags and then waiting in line frustrated at your airline’s baggage claim office and therefore delaying the start of your vacation by a couple of hours, you just get right on the DME bus and start your vacation normally.

I’m not saying that the airlines are to blame every time DME bags are late, but it happens a lot. It’s easy to blame Disney, but they’re not always the cause … and sometimes they really helped you out a lot more than you realized.

[QUOTE=Campbell87;1053412]We had friends use the ME a few trips ago, arriving first thing in the morning…their bags didn’t arrive until after 11pm! They were not the happiest of people about that considering they had been travelling in the same clothes for over 18hours and had nothing to change into until the cases arrived! EEk!
[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with CleveRocks, it may not always be disney’s fault. We always bring in a carry on, any meds, change of clothes, a small amount of toiletries, and what ever else fits. Not becasue of disney delays, but in case our suitcases decides to take a trip on their own.

Great idea about a necessities/overnight bag.
AutoTrain riders are already familiar with doing this for the train portion of their trip, even though all their stuff is already in the car.
But I don’t see how you could have been out of luck had it been a pool day.
That’s why they sell swim suits in the lobby stores and at the water parks.
You were only out of luck in so much as your not feeling the need to spend an extra $30-40 per swim suit:laugh:

It’s like the night that temps drop unexpectedly into the 40s from the upper 60s and there’s a run on $60 jackets:laugh:

We just got back from our trip to Port Orleans Riverside. It took us about 1 hour from the time we stepped off the plane and arrived at the resort. It is probably different for everyone I would think. The only issue we had was when we were returning home. We checked our bags at the resort and paid $75.00 (for 3 suit cases) since we were flying on Delta. One of our suit cases was over the size by 1 inch. It was still under 50lbs at 43 but since it was a little larger the Resort wouldn’t take it so we had to check it at the airport. We were told to just show Delta our receipt that we payed and everything would be fine. When we got to the airport I was told by Delta that the money we paid at the Resort doesn’t go to Delta and we would have to pay for that bag again. They didn’t charge us any more for the bag being oversized which could be another $150, but was told to be careful if we use it again since it is an inch over the size requirements. We were a little upset that the Resort had no idea that showing a receipt wouldn’t work. Eventhough I asked them to refund the bag and the supervisor said there wasn’t a need to since the receipt would work. I hope everything goes well for your trip. The Magical Express is still nice to use, but just be careful of the little things.

[QUOTE=tjrey;1054278]We just got back from our trip to Port Orleans Riverside. It took us about 1 hour from the time we stepped off the plane and arrived at the resort. It is probably different for everyone I would think. The only issue we had was when we were returning home. We checked our bags at the resort and paid $75.00 (for 3 suit cases) since we were flying on Delta. One of our suit cases was over the size by 1 inch. It was still under 50lbs at 43 but since it was a little larger the Resort wouldn’t take it so we had to check it at the airport. We were told to just show Delta our receipt that we payed and everything would be fine. When we got to the airport I was told by Delta that the money we paid at the Resort doesn’t go to Delta and we would have to pay for that bag again. They didn’t charge us any more for the bag being oversized which could be another $150, but was told to be careful if we use it again since it is an inch over the size requirements. We were a little upset that the Resort had no idea that showing a receipt wouldn’t work. Eventhough I asked them to refund the bag and the supervisor said there wasn’t a need to since the receipt would work. I hope everything goes well for your trip. The Magical Express is still nice to use, but just be careful of the little things.[/QUOTE]I don’t have the phone number, but you should call BAGS Inc. and ask about getting a refund. You obviously should not have been charged twice. The money you paid to BAGS Inc. definitely does go to Delta, but just not immediately.

Resort Airline Check-in is NOT part of Disney’s Magical Express and it is NOT staffed by Disney cast members, it is 100% staffed by employees of subcontractor BAGS Inc.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1054280]I don’t have the phone number, but you should call BAGS Inc. and ask about getting a refund. You obviously should not have been charged twice. The money you paid to BAGS Inc. definitely does go to Delta, but just not immediately.

Resort Airline Check-in is NOT part of Disney’s Magical Express and it is NOT staffed by Disney cast members, it is 100% staffed by employees of subcontractor BAGS Inc.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I have contacted them a few days after we returned and they said they refunded our CC. We were a little confused when we were leaving our trip. We got our notice on our door the day before and they we could check our bags there so we wouldn’t have to carry them on the bus. All our luggage did go where it what supposed to, so it worked out. Everything was fine with Magical Express and I would use them again.