Diving into DVC?

Me and the DW are discussing purchasing DVC, We figure it will be at first expensive but down the road it will pay off. Any rookie tips to know of, or advice on what to look for while purchasing. We figure we will always do this annually so why not try and see if it can save $ on future and current vacations… putting on my Mickey Ears to listen :mickey:

We’ve found it to have been a great investment in our leisure time. It FORCES me to take time off, and the points based system works great for me because we take more short trips instead of a full week like traditional timeshares.

It is a great time to buy, if you can afford it. There are some good incentives. I’ll PM you with some additional info.

Thank You Sir !!!

Ask any questions you have, there are lots of us who love to help.

There’s a referral thread in the DVC forum that you might want to check out if you would like a referral for a guide. DVC offers special discounts if you give a member’s name the first time you call and the member gets a referral bonus if you give their name.

Yup, there’s lots to explore & figure out but your best bet is to get hooked up with a guide who gives lots of info. That’s what we did & we didn’t end up buying for two more years but when incentives & good deals came out we got all the info.

Good luck! There’s lots of DVC pros here who are willing to help. :happy:

we have looked into it - started looking in Jan of this year. Everything seems like a GREAT deal but we just aren’t quite ready to take the plung. I am hoping to visit with DVC folks on my next trip.

Also, I have one man above me in our company and I will take his job when he retires sometimes b/w now and the next 2 years. We didn’t want to committ to something too big or too small when we know that my pay will change in the next couple of years - we just don’t know how much? That is probaly the biggest thing holding us back right now.

Also, I will be getting 2 weeks of vacation time after another year…which means more Disney time.

[QUOTE=dadofthree;976389]we have looked into it - started looking in Jan of this year. Everything seems like a GREAT deal but we just aren’t quite ready to take the plung. I am hoping to visit with DVC folks on my next trip.

Also, I have one man above me in our company and I will take his job when he retires in the next 2 years. We didn’t want to committ to something too big or too small when we know that my pay will change in the next couple of years - we just don’t know how much? That is probaly the biggest thing holding us back right now.[/QUOTE]

Take your time and play with the numbers. We waited several years before we finally bought in. I’m glad we waited, by the time we bought in we KNEW it was the right move for us.

When we first started going to WDW we stayed in the Value resorts and the price for DVC just did not compute. This is due to the annual maintenance fees you have to pay on your points. Once we started upgrading to Moderate and Deluxe then it started to make sense. So, just don’t forget those fees in your decision.

That’s very true. If you’re happy staying at the value resorts and ‘are only in your room to sleep and shower’ then DVC may not make sense. However, if you stay at moderate or deluxe resorts then it may make more sense to buy in. We love to use the resorts and love to stay in the deluxe resorts so DVC makes sense for us.

with my family - we are going to be forced to make some sort of decision soon. We have 2 boys (8 and 5) and a girl (1 year old)…and within the next 2 years we will be forced into always getting 2 rooms or suites. This also will very likely force our hand at either staying off-property in a Condo type place or doing the DVC.

Even in value resorts - paying for 2 rooms or family suites gets expensive

[QUOTE=dadofthree;976402]with my family - we are going to be forced to make some sort of decision soon. We have 2 boys (8 and 5) and a girl (1 year old)…and within the next 2 years we will be forced into always getting 2 rooms or suites. This also will very likely force our hand at either staying off-property in a Condo type place or doing the DVC.

Even in value resorts - paying for 2 rooms or family suites gets expensive[/QUOTE]

I believe AKV and BLT have one bedrooms that sleep 5, with 3 kids that’s something to think about before you buy in.

I disagree…

The Disney site has values from $89 per night - plus 12% tax. So that’s FROM $100 per night.

DVC Studios are as low as 8 points per night. Even renting points at $11 the price is the same…and NO TAX. Member cost is lower than that considering the annual fee. Firgure $5 and it’s “from” $40 per night and the taxes are included.

The Roach Motel down the street will cost you more than that! :laugh:

My advice to a new member would be buy the minimum, keep the costs down because you can always add more points as you want/need to. Add on contracts are as low as 25 for cash or 50 financed.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;976420]I disagree…

The Disney site has values from $89 per night - plus 12% tax. So that’s FROM $100 per night.

DVC Studios are as low as 8 points per night. Even renting points at $11 the price is the same…and NO TAX. Member cost is lower than that considering the annual fee. Firgure $5 and it’s “from” $40 per night and the taxes are included. [/QUOTE]

Wouldn’t they have to stay 20 nights for that to work out since the fewest points you can buy through DVC is 160? Am I missing something?

Make sure you check out the resale market as there are some great deals out there right now. I know some people are against this because it takes a little bit longer and you have to pay closing costs but if you do your homework you can save a ton of money. We purchased a loaded contract resale this past Novermber with tons of banked points and the whole process only took about 6 weeks and it was super easy. Looking at the incentives that Disney was offering at the time, we have figured that we saved a little over $4000. Do your homework though because not all contracts are such a big savings if a savings at all.

Yeah, I agree. Resale can either be a REAL gem, or not so great. I know a few members on MB have been dissapointed because Disney has refused them; Disney gets the ‘right of refusal’ on resales if they wish. Although, there have been some members with really good experiences.

We looked through the re-sales before BLT was annonced cause we were thinking about adding on 100 points anyway but nothing was that great of a deal & I was glad I waited for Disney anyway 'cause BLT turned out to be our dream resort.

Renting points, generally it’s fairly close to booking through WDW if you stay at economy. Obviously, the real savings kick in if you stay mods or deluxe.

Not getting to the how many points to buy…just pointing out the “from” cost just like listed on the Disney’s Travel web site. Most people won’t actually book those $89 nights nor the 8 point nights. That’s just the lowest.

Someone at mousesavers did an exhaustive spreadsheet for DVC ownership. They took into account potential debt etc. tons of info here…Read up on it.

MouseSavers.com - Disney Vacation Club

I makes sense to buy if you go once a year, stay 7 nights and stay in a deluxe resort with equal to 30% or less discounts, and have CASH to buy with no credit card debt, then it may make sense to buy.

If you stay in less than a deluxe, have to finance the purchase, or often take advantage of free dining, 4 get 3, AP rates or Kids stay free then don’t buy.

Yes you can get a studio for 8 points. That is in off season. Sunday-Thursday. That same studio on a weekend in a choice time can be up to 27 points. You can only get 4 people in a studio anyhow.

The calculations actually said that renting points 2 out of 3 years gets you further ahead in the end.

I hope that mousebuzz members who have a financial interest in you buying points by resale disclose that info along with their advice.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;976512]Renting points, generally it’s fairly close to booking through WDW if you stay at economy. Obviously, the real savings kick in if you stay mods or deluxe.

Not getting to the how many points to buy…just pointing out the “from” cost just like listed on the Disney’s Travel web site. Most people won’t actually book those $89 nights nor the 8 point nights. That’s just the lowest.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I guess I misunderstood. Jk8 was comparing buying DVC to staying in a value, I wasn’t thinking about someone renting points.

[QUOTE=bribren;976513]Someone at mousesavers did an exhaustive spreadsheet for DVC ownership. They took into account potential debt etc. tons of info here…Read up on it.

MouseSavers.com - Disney Vacation Club

I makes sense to buy if you go once a year, stay 7 nights and stay in a deluxe resort with equal to 30% or less discounts, and have CASH to buy with no credit card debt, then it may make sense to buy.

If you stay in less than a deluxe, have to finance the purchase, or often take advantage of free dining, 4 get 3, AP rates or Kids stay free then don’t buy.

Yes you can get a studio for 8 points. That is in off season. Sunday-Thursday. That same studio on a weekend in a choice time can be up to 27 points. You can only get 4 people in a studio anyhow.

The calculations actually said that renting points 2 out of 3 years gets you further ahead in the end.

I hope that mousebuzz members who have a financial interest in you buying points by resale disclose that info along with their advice.[/QUOTE]

Good points. DVC isn’t for everyone and it’s not always going to save you money. I’m sure we could book a value cheaper than our annual dues. People need to research DVC carefully before buying in, look at what you would normally spend on a regular room then look at what you would spend buying DVD and add in the annual dues.

[QUOTE=bribren;976513]
I hope that mousebuzz members who have a financial interest in you buying points by resale disclose that info along with their advice.[/QUOTE]

I don’t have any financial interest in anyone buying DVC, as I don’t do referrals.

I would check out MouseOwners.com and DVCNews.com for more information on the DVC program.

I happily recommend DVC membership to those folks it would make sense for; however, DVC membership is not for everyone.