DLP? Who is our resident expert? I need help!

I just found out my favorite former Intern is going to be studying abroad and guess what? It so happens that she would like to meet me and DD at DLP.

Now, being the good mentor that I am, I think it is only right that I visit her abroad and make sure everything is going well RIGHT? :laugh: That is the story DH is getting anyway…and I am sticking to it!

Although it is a HUGE maybe right now, I am looking at prices for DD(14) and I to go to Paris and DLP for 11 days at the beginning of March 2012.

Where do I start? Any good ideas for a Travel Agent? I usually book myself would I be better with a TA this trip or not?
Went on the DLP website but I have no clue how to bargain shop there or what it doesn’t include. What do I need to know?

I would have posted in the DLP forum but it doesn’t seem very well traveled :slight_smile:
Thanks!

I keep in regular touch with a guy who used to be a member here. He and his family are from Liverpool and go to DLP quite often. If you like, I can ask him some questions from you - we usually skype a couple of times a week.

OK I’m far from being an expert as the trips we book from the uk are different deals to what you will get in the usa. the disney paris web site I have used before and seem to get some good deals from them. you could also try EXPEDIA or try this website Disneyland Paris (Euro Disney) 40% Off hotel holiday deals - New 2011 / 2012 Prices

It is so much different to disney world. no key to the world, no DDP, no photo pass.

Depending on budget I would recomend the Disney’s Sequoia Lodge or Disney’s Newport Bay Club (both mod’ hotels)

my DD was at DLP just two month ago with grandson and had a fantastic apart from the french and germans smoking everywere

hope this helps

As close as DLP is to us here in England, and as my daughter used to live in France I have never actually been, so I can’t help I’m afraid. I know both Jimbo and LLama’s friend Towncar T are very knowledgeable on the DLP park.

Thanks!
I need the whole sh-bang! A how to thread. I have no idea what this entails. I have never been overseas- only to Mexico and The Bahamas so everything is new!
We would be staying at the least expensive on-site hotel while at DLP- I can probably book this through Disney with no guilt about savings- and probably at least a couple of days in Paris. What are the differences in transport - trains/taxis ect? I speak essentially no French so navigation may be tough. I am looking for the easiest/cheapest way to do this! :slight_smile:
After this part, my former intern is headed to Ireland… which is an option to tag along. What price range are we talking to do all of this?
Am I crazy? LOL!
Suggestions?

Zoey dont worry about the French Language. Most French speak some English and of course you can always mime! If you do have opportunity to go to Ireland go- it’s a beautiful country- and as you’re so close I’d make the most of it and go.

We were in Paris for New Years 2010 and it was AMAZING! I can’t wait to go back.

While we didn’t make it to DLP, I will give you one word of advice.

Since you plan on going in 2012, please learn a little bit of French. Basics will do. In fact, we would listen to Pimsleur’s French lessons in the car on our trips back and forth to WDW on the various weekends prior to our trip to France (a little over an hour each way)… And it’s amazing how much you can “pick up” in a very short period of time.

The French really appreciate any attempts at speaking their language (sign of respect) as opposed to the perceived “arrogant American" that expects the French to accommodate “Americans” by speaking English.

Trust me, you will get a LOT further by speaking some French… 99% of the time when we started off an inquiry in French, they would answer right away in English and most were very helpful & bent over backwards on many occasions.

Whenever I ask someone who was treated “badly” or had a “terrible” time in France if they tried to speak French, the answer was ALWAYS no. Go figure!

You are in their country afterall… :slight_smile:

And I am terribly jealous!!!

Ireland is phenomenal as well…

And depending on how you roll, an average trip to Europe usually runs around $5,000 (for just me… meaning one person) when you factor in Airfare, hotel room, transportation, food, alcohol (if you drink), and of course, entertainment… Sure, there are ways to shave that number down but that’s a good average amount to expect for a week in Europe. Two weeks might run you an additional $2,500… And Ireland is very expensive (at least it was the last time I was there… I dropped $3,000 (including airfare) easily in 3 days and we did NOT do anything extravagant whatsoever. Pub food was it. Plus, I had a free place to stay & a friend of mine who lives in Dublin took care of the driving…)

Do you have any FF miles or hotel room points available? I cashed in some Holiday Inn points and it afforded me (03) nights at the Crowne Plaza Republique for free. Plus I cashed in a few FF miles with Delta and that took care of the flights as well… So if you have that at your disposal, it can really help to save some $$$.

If you plan on staying in Paris & you are looking at a 3 star Hotel and such, make sure to double check the reviews of said Hotel on Trip Advisor. It can save you a LOT of headaches…

I think Paris is different to anywhere else in France as is any capital in any country. Parisians are a race of their own-they dont tolerate other French people never mind international tourists! So yes in Paris it may be advantageous to learn some basic French to get by with.

OK a little more help. I have stayed at both Disney’s Hotel Santa Fe,
Disney’s Hotel Cheyenne. they are both nice hotels (motels), they have no pool, and no tea/ coffee making facilities in the room.

At all Disney hotels they usually include continental breakfast. the problem is you have to book a time slot when you check in. you can walk to the park from the hotel in around 20 min’ but there is a free bus service.

you have to pay for the Disney bus from the airport to the resort.

there is a train from DLRP to Paris not costing to much. Paris is like other city’s across the world and is very expensive on the main streets.

a very good website to use for info is DLRP Magic! - Disneyland Paris at the click of a mouse!

if you need cheep treats (milk, bread, sandwiches, candy) use the shop in the train station at the Disney village.

I agree with papa bear you should learn some French words and phrases they love it

just shout if you need more info.

Wow! Great advice so far!
I know hello, do you speak English and yes in French. LOL!

I will have you know that I am linguistically challenged. I have been working with refugee families for 3 years and still am not fluent in their language… not for lack of trying either…
I take that back- I know all the naughty words by heart from working with the kids. Anyway, I think I will stick to the absolute basics if we make it to France!
I can’t believe the prices of the DL resorts with no pools? I suppose it will be cold then anyway.
I am mostly concerned about all of this transfer and train business. Is it easy to navigate? What happens when I get to Paris? Is it easy to find your way?
I don’t mind big cities- even drove around Los Angeles and down to San Diego - no problem. But I am feeling a little nervous being it is a different country and I don’t know the “rules”.

Travel in Eurpoe is really easy. Mass transit is a way of life. SOmeone herre should be able to help you with connections.

As to learning French, I would make it a point to learn the language and take a few days and visit not only Paris, but other non tourist parts of France. You will really get to know the country when you get away from the city and tourist attractions.
Check with your local library or colleges and see if they Rosetta Stone. Also check with the local high school staff if that does not help. The RS program is really good.

Transfer from Charles de Gaulle Airport is easy once you are in the airport just ask for the Disneyland bus. the bus is a big yellow (or orange) bus with Disneyland Paris written on the side. I seem to remember it was around 12 euros each, taxi is around 25 euros.

I don’t know to much about traveling to Paris from Disneyland but as i said the train goes right from Disney gates to Paris. (its not just around the corner). check out these sites they may help.

Shuttle Direct: book cheap airport transfers to and from major holiday destinations.

Paris Disneyland airport shuttle service

Paris shuttle, airport transfers from Orly ,Charles de Gaulle

Zoey dont worry about that sort of stuff. Paris is a huge cosmopolitan city and they are so used to dealing with visitors- everything will be well signed for you I’m sure. Jimbo has given you some great links there too.
And Rich’s advice is one I would endorse too, if you do get chance to get outside the city and see rural France its beautiful.

Thanks everyone!
I am so excited that this is a possibility!

Ironically, last night before I had a chance to really talk about this to DH, he asked me if I wanted a “free” Disney trip.

In our marriage, that means he wants to buy something big and is trying to sweeten me up so I will let him. In return…my happy place awaits! My thoughts are that because he just sold his 69’ Charger, he has found the Cuda that he has wanted for years. (I like the cars and HATE that they take up the garage!)
Needless to say, that is a pretty darn pricey request.
I will have to ponder how much it is worth to him…hehehe!

Little does he know :ph34r:

[QUOTE=zoey9797;1079538]Thanks everyone!
I am so excited that this is a possibility!

Ironically, last night before I had a chance to really talk about this to DH, he asked me if I wanted a “free” Disney trip.

In our marriage, that means he wants to buy something big and is trying to sweeten me up so I will let him. In return…my happy place awaits! My thoughts are that because he just sold his 69’ Charger, he has found the Cuda that he has wanted for years. (I like the cars and HATE that they take up the garage!)
Needless to say, that is a pretty darn pricey request.
I will have to ponder how much it is worth to him…hehehe!

Little does he know :ph34r:[/QUOTE]

A girl with my kinda thinking:laugh: love it!

Paris here you come!