Does Disney overbook it's resorts?

I have this recurring nightmare that we are going to arrive at the GF on December 12th and find our the GF overbooked, or worse yet, they cannot find our reservation. This all stems from something I read that said the GF and Poly are both booked solid for most of December. Our reservations were made through a reputable Travel Agent, but Disney has a policy that does not allow them to even acknowledge a reservation exists, except to the TA. The TA “owns” the reservation. My TA did conference me in with a CM at Disney who confirmed the reservation, but now I have nothing in writing, other than an e-mail from my TA that states I really have a reservation. I tried to book a room for the time period (12/12 thru 12/18) on-line and there is nothing available at GF or the Poly or WL or CR.

So my question is - has anyone ever made the journey to WDW only to find there was ‘no room at the Inn’? What did the Disney folks do to resolve? According to the person I spoke with in Guest Services, this is between my TA and I and Disney will do nothing.

This is a topic that has come up several times over the years. Unless you book through Disney Central Reservations, it is often not possible to get phone confirmations or printed confirmations. I have heard of people who have really asserted themselves in order to persuade a front desk CM to confirm over the phone.

However, I don’t remember hearing of anyone showing up with a written confirmation from a TA and being turned away. So take your paperwork, and I expect you will be OK.

(There is a current thread about AP pricing on rooms at Wilderness Lodge, and how the guests arrived at the resort and had difficulty with securing the AP pricing for the full trip, however.)

I was always told by Disney TA’s that if you want you can call the resort you are staying at 72 hours prior to your reservation day and verify things you need. In my case I always needed a refrigerator for medication and they can not ever “guarantee” one is available. So, I always call the resort we are staying at and just tell them I need to verify this, I have never had any problems and it seems to confirm my needs. If you have a concern on overbooking you can call the resort and touch base, clarify your reservation. I also use this time to let them know any special occasions that I want them to know about. Works great for me I hope this would help you.

I have never heard of WDW overbooking. It’s not a doctor’s office…lol

I went to check in once at All Star Sports, and they couldn’t FIND my reservation . . . it was awful! I was just turned away at the front desk . . . with a SORRY we are BOOKED!! I called central booking and it was an error on their part, and they UPGRADED me to CSR, so they fixed the problem.

Another time I was with my friend, I checked in, and when she went to check in, nothing under her name . . . NOTHING and they were booked! We were told NOT TO WORRY, a spot always opens up . . . we just had to sweat it out in the gift shop for 1/2 an hour . . . and then like MAGIC she got a room!

SO don’t worry . . . Disney will fix the problem IF ANY, which I’m sure you’ll be fine!!

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;886336]I went to check in once at All Star Sports, and they couldn’t FIND my reservation . . . it was awful! I was just turned away at the front desk . . . with a SORRY we are BOOKED!! I called central booking and it was an error on their part, and they UPGRADED me to CSR, so they fixed the problem.

Another time I was with my friend, I checked in, and when she went to check in, nothing under her name . . . NOTHING and they were booked! We were told NOT TO WORRY, a spot always opens up . . . we just had to sweat it out in the gift shop for 1/2 an hour . . . and then like MAGIC she got a room!

SO don’t worry . . . Disney will fix the problem IF ANY, which I’m sure you’ll be fine!![/QUOTE]

I remember that…

Best thing is to check your reservation with the CRO or your Travel agent a few days before you go. Keep the copy of your reservation with you. you will be accomidated…no worries.

Next time I think I would just recommend booking it yourself so you have something in writing.

[QUOTE=Dana;886341]I remember that…

Best thing is to check your reservation with the CRO or your Travel agent a few days before you go. Keep the copy of your reservation with you. you will be accomidated…no worries.[/QUOTE]

NOPE! I had a copy of my reservation and that number keep coming up for a DIFFERENT date, so they said I forfeited my reservation . . . :eek:

I don’t want to make you nervous, but these things DO HAPPEN . . . but through a TA or Disney booking, you have a back up!

AGAIN . . . like you (Dana) said DISNEY will never be “SOLD OUT” . . . so really no worries. Make sure you have your TA phone number.

I book thru AAA each year and last year I booked the Poly 12/14 - 12/19 and didn’t have any problems…EVER!!!

When I book w/AAA, I get AAA"s confirmation AND the confirmation that Disney gives the Trvl Agent so I know it’s “legit”.
I dont know if your Travel agent will do that for you but all you have to do is call up Disney’s CRO and ask them to look you up or call the hotel.

Otherwise I think your good! :happy:

[QUOTE=Val32;886374]I book thru AAA each year and last year I booked the Poly 12/14 - 12/19 and didn’t have any problems…EVER!!!

When I book w/AAA, I get AAA"s confirmation AND the confirmation that Disney gives the Trvl Agent so I know it’s “legit”.
I dont know if your Travel agent will do that for you but all you have to do is call up Disney’s CRO and ask them to look you up or call the hotel.

Otherwise I think your good! :happy:[/QUOTE]

I agree AAA is the only other place that I would book through.

Or airline!!

I :heart: AAA!!! :happy:

WDW does overbook…:glare: I remember working @ FW fd and had to find avail rooms for guests @ other resorts. Some reservations like the CM discounted, were put on hold to see if and/or when they would have a room.:blink:

[QUOTE=Val32;886374]I book thru AAA each year and last year I booked the Poly 12/14 - 12/19 and didn’t have any problems…EVER!!!

Otherwise I think your good! :happy:[/QUOTE]

Vote for AAA comes from me too. Very professional, courteous, and knowledgable.

I’ve used Small World Vacations before and they do the same as AAA. They send me the Disney confirmation that Disney sends them.

Thank you one and all for the input. I will ask the TA to send me the confirm she received from Disney. I used Small World Vacations and they came highly recommended. Things sometimes go awry even with the best planning. Needed the reassurance that Disney will come through should something like this happen.:blush:

If you had that conference call with Disney & your TA, I wouldn’t worry. I booked through a Travel agent and I got a resort confirmation number when I booked. When the trip was paid off I got a resort voucher for the Poly that states my room type, date of stay, confirmation number and paid in full.

We used Small World Vacations 4 years ago. We were pleased.

Last year we used “those other guys”.

We’ll use Small World next time.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;886336]I went to check in once at All Star Sports, and they couldn’t FIND my reservation . . . it was awful! I was just turned away at the front desk . . . with a SORRY we are BOOKED!! I called central booking and it was an error on their part, and they UPGRADED me to CSR, so they fixed the problem.

SO don’t worry . . . Disney will fix the problem IF ANY, which I’m sure you’ll be fine!![/QUOTE]

I stayed at one of the All Stars a couple years ago. When we were checking in, I was told there was no reservation under my name for that date, however, there was a reservation for 3 days later! I said, well, that’s really funny, I’m here now. The CM asks me if I have proof, to which I replied, “well, I’m standing here talking to you right now!” Anyway, I ran out to the car and grabbed the confirmation and was shocked to see that in fact, the Disney reservationist had made a mistake and booked the wrong day! Back to the front desk and it’s fun time. “Are you sure you didn’t make the reservation for Monday?” “Why would I do that if I have tickets to tonight’s Christmas party? Not only that, but why would I have had that CM purchase tickets for an event on Friday if I wasn’t going to arrive until Monday?” Again “Are you sure you’re not supposed to be here a different day?” “Are you kidding me? I’m here. NOW!” Well, the CM decided to get a manager (duh!) who said they did have rooms for that night and the next day (as was supposed to have been booked), so there was no problem, eventually, after wasting 45 minutes.
Lesson learned: look very carefully at your reservation confirmations, someone might have made a mistake on the other end.

Have you made any ADR if you have then you are booked. If you are worried still check with ADR reservation number to insure you are book for the meals. If you are not booked then you can be pretty sure you are not booked into the GF