Does fastpass water down the "magic" for first time visitors?

On our families first visit to the world in 1997, there was no fastpass. Like every other guest we were forced to stand in the queue and were amazed at the detail and theming leading into the actual attraction! I have often wondered since the introduction of fastpass if our subsequent trips haven’t been a bit “watered down” by rushing through the queue and not taking the time to absorb all the detail disney put into play to help the guest pass the time while waiting. First time visitors in particular might not take the time to fully appreciate everything that makes Disney such a unique place. Just wondering what you thought?

I think it depends on the time of year and crowd level. There’s no enjoying the details of the queue with grumpy, complaining kids when the wait is 90 plus minutes for every ride.

Absolutely not! :tongue: You are still subject to a minimal wait time even when using FP. I don’t think it takes ANYTHING away from enjoying detailed ques. The ONLY exception that comes to mind is Expedition Everest in AK because the regular que is LITERALLY like a museum. Although, if you are in AK early in the morning you can always grab a FP, ride it, & then get in the regular que to ride it again. We do that often.

You’ll LOVE FP!

Not unless your idea of a good time is standing in a line :laugh: The FP does come in handy…especially for people who want to see and do a lot. Disney does put a lot of time and effort into themeing the queue lines but personally…I’d rather FP whatever I can than wait around in a line.

It is not like you get the FP and run right through to the ride. There is still that wait time for your FP to be good. Then there is still the FP line to wait in. I look at as it gives us time to do other things other than standing in lines all day. and then there is getting the FP for one ride and then waiting in line for another till your FP is good. I do wish eveyone would rather wait in line, it would make my FP’s that much faster.

I don’t think so. Any of the really important pre show elements in most queues are not skipped. If anything, you’ll simply move past them faster.

FP’s are awesome and you still get to see a lot of the queue. If you end up moving through the line too quickly and feel like you’re missing something, just go back for another ride and skip the FP. Chances are, though, you won’t miss much. EE is probably the best queue but even with FP we were able to enjoy it.

I have to admit I’ve never been much of a FP user. I think I’ve taken advantage of it only a few times but I’ve often wondered this. Are we rushing too much in the World and not enjoying as many of the little things as we used to pre-FP? The summer crowds of my first really memorable visit (in the mid 90’s) were overwhelming and we just really moved slower because we didn’t know any better. We had an amazing trip and still saw everything!

I think that the FP adds to the magic. It allows you to do more, as you are not standing in the lines / ques as long. As SG said, the pre-shows are still there, so you still get the magic. This helps to keep the grumpiness down I feel, which adds to the magic.

Good points! I can see how it could add to the magic since you stay happier having stayed out of exhausting, hot lines. :slight_smile:

Our family enjoys using the fastpass system alot also, but as repeat visitors we have experienced the magic pre fastpass. Im wondering most about those who are making there first and maybe only visit. I also wonder, since the inception of the FP system, has Disney scaled back any of the detail in their queue areas? If EE is an example than I say no but, what about Soarin, Crush just to name a couple.

That’s a good question, but I don’t think they have, and, if they have, it’s not due to fastpass–there are still lines for every attraction, often over 30 minutes during busier times of the day. Statistically speaking, the majority of park visitors DO NOT take advantage of Fastpass, so I don’t feel it affects the imagineers’ designs. Also, while I agree that the details in the line queues help enhance the experience while you wait, I think avoiding lines and having more time to visit more attractions is more “magical” than standing in a long, but well-conceptualized, queue.

TSM is a ride that you miss a lot when you go through the FP line. You don’t get to see Mr. Potato head or all the cool elements of Andy’s room.

Even as a kid, I was always amazed at how Disney provided entertainment for their guest while they were waiting in line. There was always something to see/do or watch and it helped the time move quickly.

I do agree on two points already stated:

1. Avoiding lines and doing more is MORE magical then the stuff you see in line. :happy:

and

1. MOST people do not use the FP feature . . . it amazes me sometimes how many people wait on long lines. :blink:

Actually, I’ve kinda wondered that myself. On the very elaborate queues (such as that of Expedition Everest and Test Track), I’ve wanted to slow down a little on my way to the attraction just to take it all in. However, I appreciate the FastPass and would not want to wait over an hour for an attraction. During the off-season (and during peak season!) I have gone through the stand by line and was able to “take it all in.”

I agree that Soarin’ has a rather boring queue (especially on the FastPass side)… they could’ve done a lot more with that. However, the Soarin’ queue in California isn’t that elaborate. And the Land location probably has a lot to do with it… not much space to work with.

Toy Story Mania and Expedition Everest were both added well after the introduction of FastPass and have very detailed queuing areas. I would actually say that Imagineers have gotten more and more elaborate with the ride queues recently.

I actually don’t mind waiting in the regular line and actually prefer it when the crowd levels are low and the temperatures fair. Any longer than a 20 minute wait or hotter than 85 degrees F though, give me a fastpass! Also, if I have already been on an attraction once already that day in the regular line, I will usually fastpass any subsequent trip on the attraction. No need to see the whole queue twice…or three times even!

Good question! I think there are some lines that are worth standing in at least once, but only once! I remember going through Soarin before it actually opened and there were some beautiful murals of our country in what I thought would be the que line. What happened to those? I love EE line and ToT but as many times as I have ridden, I am always thankful for a FP.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;944799]

Toy Story Mania and Expedition Everest were both added well after the introduction of FastPass and have very detailed queuing areas. I would actually say that Imagineers have gotten more and more elaborate with the ride queues recently.[/QUOTE]

I have only ridden TSM via Fast Pass and never got to experience ANY of the cue…I have heard great things about it, especially the interactive Mr. Potato Head. But I’ll take riding the ride quicker than waiting the 2+ hour wait while we were there Thanksgiving week. :eek:

Nope, I don’t think it waters it down. Often times, you’re still waiting with a FP - not as long, obviously, but still long enough to take in 99% of the details in a given queue.

I think if anything, it improves the experience for a first time guest! I’m sure many people who went to WDW before FP did not enjoy waiting two hours for a ride with cranky kids in tow! :whistling

never…if anything it can only make it a better trip. Not having to wait in major queues is always a bonus.

Here’s DH’s take (please keep in mind he’s not as into Disney as we are)…

“You all are die-hard-Disney-Crazies who want to stand in line and listen to music and see the sights. blah blah blah.” Haha! He said there’s more magic to be found when you spend less time in lines and more time experiencing attractions and such. He also hates standing in lines in general. “It’s hard enough to get through WDW in our 8 day trips (during the less busy value season) and standing in line doesn’t add to the experience.”

Just some thougths from a not-so-die-hard-er. :wink: