Does it suck to not have Fastpass+?

My DH and I are going on a cruise and then spending a week after that at Disney’s Vero Beach Resort. We just decided we want to drive to WDW for 1 day. This will be the first week of December, so I know crowds should be low. But, I keep reading about terrible experiences people are having with fastpasses because so many are going to fastpass+ people. Who’s had experiences with this? Is it really that bad??

Define suck? I guess it is what you make it. If you are there to see the decorations and get on a few attractions, then you are going to be fine. If you are worried about getting on Toy Story Mania three times, you might be annoyed. Go for the decorations and to enjoy the magic of the Holiday.

If you get to the park early you will be able to get one FP for a major attraction. In my experience, after you wait until you are eligible to get another FP they will be gone :(. I was very frustrated and we didn’t get to experience several attractions that we had been looking forward to. If you are willing to wait in 60+ minute standby lines, which we don’t wait unless it’s 20 min or less, you can get on about anything…

In a nutshell, Yes it sucks. It was very evident when we were there that all the Fastpasses were getting snatched up very quickly. Ginger is correct, if you show at rope drop, you will get one fastpass, but odds are that’s it. It was noticable when we were there, but to tell you the truth, the frustration kind of grew after reading post after post of the people who did have Magic bands, how wonderful it was to be able to change their FP reservations at a moments notice, late into the day. Which means we were there at the parks with FPs all gone, and people not there were able to get the later in the day ones. Disney should have remedied this as to maybe giving a universal FP per day to all onsite guests who weren’t a part of the testing. In fact, couldn’t hurt to go to Guest Services and tell them you have confirmation from many people who have experienced it and request some FP’s. Have no clue if they can offer that, but it doesn’t hurt to try, and then they are being told what is actually happening to those left out.

Hopefully most of these issues will be resolved when it’s fully implemented in the new year…that doesn’t help anyone now though.

I have resigned myself that it will be what it will be—I wasn’t looking forward to this whole system but it’s either go with it or —don’t go. My DD and I have already talked about the new system for next summer’s trip. We aren’t planners but will use it for a BOG ressie and probably for one FP ahead of time…other than that—if we can’t get the FP+ the night before or morning of…we will either wait—or —not!! There isn’t much else we can do. :slight_smile:

It is a shame that those who aren’t/weren’t staying at the roll out resorts get left out for the time being…I personally would make my complaints known with Disney—but other than that—there really isn’t anything that you can do I guess.

Thanks everyone. You all confirmed what I thought. We have been so many times and I know we will go back, so it’s not the end of the world if we can’t ride something (we’re not willing to stand in long lines). It just sucks to know there is a problem like this beforehand. It also bothers me because by staying at the Vero Beach resort, we get the perks of onsite guests, so we can stay for EMH’s and get free parking. So, I feel like we should also qualify for magic bands, but when I called and asked no one knew for sure. I was transferred several times and everyone just kept telling me they just didn’t know.

The whole Faspass+ confuses me, no trip planned in the near future so I haven’t looked into the ins and outs of how it works. Just curious if it’s an additional charge for the Fastpass+?

Although it didn’t affect us adversely when we were there in Sept., I do have to agree with Beth. There definitely was a difference in availability of fastpasses. We found ourselves utilizing “single rider” lines - that doesn’t bother us - but we’re two adults. It couldn’t work for families with kids. Good luck if you’re not blessed with modern technology savvy.

Right now, Fastpass+ is only available to onsite resort guests and I think annual passholders. It’s a perk of staying at a Disney resort. I think once it’s completely rolled out, off site guests can upgrade to it for a fee. Not sure about that, though…

Thanks, good to know. We always stay onsite. DH is getting antsy, so who knows, maybe we’ll get a small trip in next year some time.

Have fun on your cruise.

FastPass+ is only available to AP holders who have stayed at a Disney resort testing (well, now all are testing) Magic Bands. Once an AP holder has stayed at a Disney resort testing Magic Bands, they can continue to book FP+ reservations 60 days out. When My Disney Experience is completely rolled out, all AP holders should have access to FP+, whether or not they’ve stayed at a Disney resort.

FastPass+ will be replacing regular FastPass as we know it. Once the program is completely in place, everyone with valid park admission should be able to download the free app and make FastPass+ reservations. Guests staying offsite may purchase Magic Bands.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1139484]FastPass+ is only available to AP holders who have stayed at a Disney resort testing (well, now all are testing) Magic Bands. Once an AP holder has stayed at a Disney resort testing Magic Bands, they can continue to book FP+ reservations 60 days out. When My Disney Experience is completely rolled out, all AP holders should have access to FP+, whether or not they’ve stayed at a Disney resort.

FastPass+ will be replacing regular FastPass as we know it. Once the program is completely in place, everyone with valid park admission should be able to download the free app and make FastPass+ reservations. Guests staying offsite may purchase Magic Bands.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification! We always stay onsite so I wasn’t sure if offsite people would be able to utilize fastpass+ once it was completely rolled out.

Last week we were able to get regular fast passes with no problems for most attractions (Splash, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Buzz, The Little Mermaid, Expidition Everest, Dinosaur, Tower of Terror and Rockin Rollercoaster). The return times were within 1 - 2 hours each time…I thought it seemed better than in the past.
Soarin, Test Track and Toy Story Mania are a different story. By 11:00 a.m., all Fastpasses were distributed for the day. At 9:10 a.m., we were able to secure 2:50 p.m. Toy Story Mania, and on another day by 9:30 a.m. we were able to secure 8:20 FP for Soarin and 8:05 for Test Track.

We had a split stay (3 days at Saratoga- no bands) and 5 days at Boardwalk with bands, so we got to see both sides of it. We didn’t wait in any lines the entire trip. We mostly used Fastpass, or went for shorter line rides. The longest we waited was 60 minutes for Test Track, and it was by choice. The standby line said 120 minutes, but we wanted to see the new que, so we decided to wait. We were pleasantly surprised that it only took 60 minutes total (including the ride).

I LOVED the magic bands and FastPass +. It was amazing, and I can’t wait until everyone gets the chance to use it. The only ride I had a hard time getting FP+ for was ToyStory Mania. I was able to secure it a few days before, but not able to do so same-day. Everything else we were able to choose day of. Please be aware that you can only choose 3 FP+ per day (all have to be in the same park). It was an awesome feeling holding the band up to the little mickey head, and it turning green for me. If you listen closely, you can even hear a little magical sound…I REALLY Loved it. It was also nice having our Annual Passes and room keys attached to it…no fumbiling around for the room key. My son (9 years old) loved paying with the band. It was his job to enter the pin each time.

Great report, Christina! Thank you!

[QUOTE=Goodegirl2007;1139486]Last week we were able to get regular fast passes with no problems for most attractions (Splash, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Buzz, The Little Mermaid, Expidition Everest, Dinosaur, Tower of Terror and Rockin Rollercoaster). The return times were within 1 - 2 hours each time…I thought it seemed better than in the past.
Soarin, Test Track and Toy Story Mania are a different story. By 11:00 a.m., all Fastpasses were distributed for the day. At 9:10 a.m., we were able to secure 2:50 p.m. Toy Story Mania, and on another day by 9:30 a.m. we were able to secure 8:20 FP for Soarin and 8:05 for Test Track.

We had a split stay (3 days at Saratoga- no bands) and 5 days at Boardwalk with bands, so we got to see both sides of it. We didn’t wait in any lines the entire trip. We mostly used Fastpass, or went for shorter line rides. The longest we waited was 60 minutes for Test Track, and it was by choice. The standby line said 120 minutes, but we wanted to see the new que, so we decided to wait. We were pleasantly surprised that it only took 60 minutes total (including the ride).

I LOVED the magic bands and FastPass +. It was amazing, and I can’t wait until everyone gets the chance to use it. The only ride I had a hard time getting FP+ for was ToyStory Mania. I was able to secure it a few days before, but not able to do so same-day. Everything else we were able to choose day of. Please be aware that you can only choose 3 FP+ per day (all have to be in the same park). It was an awesome feeling holding the band up to the little mickey head, and it turning green for me. If you listen closely, you can even hear a little magical sound…I REALLY Loved it. It was also nice having our Annual Passes and room keys attached to it…no fumbiling around for the room key. My son (9 years old) loved paying with the band. It was his job to enter the pin each time.[/QUOTE]

That was also my experience in both September and the first week of October. I think the recent reports had more to do with the parks being PACKED.

I hope you’re right! The park shouldn’t be busy when we are there, so that would be great.

We’re going down for 8 days soon and I’ve only made FP+ picks for our 1st day so far. For my Dis Family, I just can’t see planning each day this far in advance.

I am curious to know how efficiently the FP+ system will work once were there and I try to make picks either the day before or the same day we will be at a particular park.

IMHO I do feel that if you are staying at a Disney resort, be it in Vero Beach, or in WDW, you should be able to utilize FP+.

Everyone with valid theme park admission is going to be able to use FastPass+ once the system is completely implemented. It’s only during this “testing” phase that it is limited to select Disney resort guests.

It’s the Magic Bands which are limited to guests of Disney resorts only (but should be available for purchase to offsite guests). However, the Magic Bands have a battery life of three years and are intended to be brought back to WDW. Once you have the Magic Band, you can stay onsite or offsite and still have your theme park admission and FastPass+ reservations linked to your Magic Band (which is linked to your My Disney Experience App).

We were in (and near) WDW from 10/18 through 10/25.
Over the weekend of 10/18-10/21, all resorts were close enough to capacity that each and every resort was running its own bus, that is, there were three All Star buses and two PO buses. Swan, Dolphin, and Boardwalk were one route and Yacht and Beach were a different route. And it was crowded.
I was very glad I had the magic wrist bands, if only because I was able to schedule two rides on Soarin and two rides on TSMM during our visit.

My opinion so far is, this just might work after all.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1139566]We were in (and near) WDW from 10/18 through 10/25.
Over the weekend of 10/18-10/21, all resorts were close enough to capacity that each and every resort was running its own bus, that is, there were three All Star buses and two PO buses. Swan, Dolphin, and Boardwalk were one route and Yacht and Beach were a different route. And it was crowded.
I was very glad I had the magic wrist bands, if only because I was able to schedule two rides on Soarin and two rides on TSMM during our visit.

My opinion so far is, this just might work after all.[/QUOTE]

I agree! It was mega crowded during our visit 10/17-10/27. The bands were great, and I also found that regular FP distribution worked just as good as it always has (or better) for most rides. Soarin, Test Track and Toy Story Mania were the only exceptions.