Does the dining plan work for you?

That’s the question, does the dining plan work for your family and why?

We’ve used the dining plan in the past and it was nice to have food paid for upfront. However, our son is now an ‘adult’ and he won’t eat off the adult menu and he doesn’t eat $40 worth of food a day . We would lose money if we used the plan now but at one time it was a good deal for us.

If Disney would add a junior category we might look at again.

I agree- our little guy will be 10 at the end of next month- we’ll be there while he’s still 9 in April and it will probably be our last dining plan for awhile.

No, it doesn’t and mainly for the reason you just stated. That and the on-site resort we usually stay at doesn’t participate in it. DD15 would eat her fill but now that the younger two are 10 & 11 for what they would eat it would be a serious waste of funds.
IF, we did go with a plan it would be CS since that route would still offer more kid friendly type choices as opposed to TS.

The actual DDP does not work for me, but the QSP does. I have come to a point where having all the ADRs is more stressful than not. I like to have one or two of them planned and eat the rest of my meals when and where I want to. There are so many excellent counter options at WDW now-a-days that I am not forced to eat burgers and fries the entire trip. My DD and Ihave unearthed all sorts of neat places to eat. Food is just not an important part of my trip for me. I don’t feel the need to schedule everything I do around it that’s for sure.

We found it to be a great value when the kids were small, but now that everyone is an “adult” it really isn’t a value. We may try the quick service option in June but I think we can really do cheaper on our own because we normally wouldn’t get dessert with every meal and 2 snacks per day.

My situation is a little opposite. I have two teenage boys, who just this week I had to reiterate to them for our upcoming trip, that we only get one counter service and one sit down per day. If I don’t keep reminding them, we will be out of the counter service in half the time…eat lunch (cs), dinner at 5:00pm (ts), swim at night, pick up another cs after the swim.

I’m with Dana. I was not thrilled being locked into My ADR’s last time. And getting a Res for that night is daunting. There was a 1 hr+ standby at Whispering Canyon.

Quick service is a possibility, but I’ll pay OOP for some buffets. Then the kids can pick what they want.

:laugh:Some days I wish my son would eat like that and if he did I bet we would love the dining plan.

Great question!!!

I hope someone from DDP is reading this!

The DDP does NOT work for us. It forces you to have dessert, for one thing – we do not eat dessert! We like appetizers. If the DDP allowed an entree and your choice of dessert or app, it would be different. However, apps are often significantly more expensive to prepare than desserts, so I understand.

Desserts aren’t really a healthy thing to force upon people, either…

And the DDP makes the restaurants so crowded!

We prefer Tables In Wonderland, which pays for itself in one big night! It is 20% off the whole bill – INCLUDING LIQUOR – and you can order whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want. My perfect big meal is usually two appetizers and a glass of wine.

TIW has very limited blackout dates. And while the gratuity is added in, we would be leaving it anyway, so the discount is a TRUE discount.

QUOTE=bethishooked;1025348]My situation is a little opposite. I have two teenage boys, who just this week I had to reiterate to them for our upcoming trip, that we only get one counter service and one sit down per day. If I don’t keep reminding them, we will be out of the counter service in half the time…eat lunch (cs), dinner at 5:00pm (ts), swim at night, pick up another cs after the swim.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: As Mom of 7, I feel your pain!! We only have 1 left at home now but there is a huge difference in how he ate at 10 /11 and how he grazes through everything at 13!! I have always wanted a junior plan at Disney, the adult meals are just too adult with too many sauces and such. I know you can order them without but then you still need to go through the same conversations each time you order… Mom, whats bernaise sauce? Do I like it? It sounds gross, I don’t want that! Do they have chicken parmesian? :blow:

I feel like the regular DDP was made for us. haha. Before the Dining Plan came out we would usually eat a small breakfast in the room, counter service lunch, & table service dinner on our trips. So once the plan came out that was a perfect fit. I don’t think we could handle the deluxe, but the regular plan is perfect for us (2 adults, no children).

That’s my only problem with the DDP, I don’t want desserts with every meal. I really wish they gave us the option to choose either an appetizer or dessert.

For us it works. With the exception of the dessert vs appetizer rule. We’d prefer the appetizer. This year when taking my Mom, I like the fact that it will already be paid for and there won’t be any fighting for the bill. We’re paying Mom’s way for the trip and she feels uncomfortable when we treat her to anything. In 2006 when we took our three kids plus two of their freinds, we had three BIG boys eating at the buffets. That first night at Cape May Cafe, got us our monies worth and then some. I still don’t know how they ate what they did.:blink:

I am in Beth’s situation as well. We always had to “subsidize” the plan with CS stuff when we were on the regular plan. The deluxe plan took care of that for us. In November it wasn’t as crucial to make ADR’s - it’s not that busy, so we did not feel encumbered by time issues.

For us it’s a “no”. But I will concede that we’re a minority.

I don’t like being tied down. And for the meal plan to work you have to plan ahead, have your reservations and use them. Too much stress. And too much food.

oh yes, I forgot to say that the appetizer vs. dessert thing is a problem for us as well. We are more into the appetizers.
Much like MissDisney, I would be so happy getting two appetizers with a glass of bubbly for dinner than a whole, huge plateful of one thing. But that would be too much to ask, or would it?

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1025353]Great question!!!

I hope someone from DDP is reading this!

The DDP does NOT work for us. It forces you to have dessert, for one thing – we do not eat dessert! We like appetizers. If the DDP allowed an entree and your choice of dessert or app, it would be different. However, apps are often significantly more expensive to prepare than desserts, so I understand.

Desserts aren’t really a healthy thing to force upon people, either…

And the DDP makes the restaurants so crowded!

We prefer Tables In Wonderland, which pays for itself in one big night! It is 20% off the whole bill – INCLUDING LIQUOR – and you can order whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want. My perfect big meal is usually two appetizers and a glass of wine.

TIW has very limited blackout dates. And while the gratuity is added in, we would be leaving it anyway, so the discount is a TRUE discount.[/QUOTE]

What she said.

We just don’t eat like “normal” people. If I ate an appetizer, entree and dessert I’d be sick - every meal.

Gawd, I’m sorry. :eek:

They will grow up…eventually. Remember these words: “I brought you into this world, I can DARN sure take you out of it!”:laugh:

The thing I dislike is the ADR planning. I really like to just go where the spirit takes me. But I’ve tried some places that I wouldn’t have.

Now if they’d just kill the “free” dining so I could book ADRs again.

Definitely does not work for us. It’s WAY too much food. We never get desserts at dinner so we found ourselves turning it down most of the time at the restaurants. We wouldn’t eat an appetizer either, the main course is enough that I can’t finish it! And I hate to waste food. We’ve kept track of the amount of money we spend on food the last several trips we’ve taken and it’s always considerably less than what the ddp costs. And we always eat at least one ts a day.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1025386]
The thing I dislike is the ADR planning. I really like to just go where the spirit takes me. [/QUOTE]

Ditto – The DDP makes the act of eating into an entire vacation pursuit. If I wanted food to be my vacation focus, I would go to Europe.