Doing the underground tour

My youngest is now 16 and we booked the underground tour.

Any pros or cons on the tour?

Keys to the Kingdom or Backstage Magic?

I’m not sure what you mean by “pros” & “cons.” I like the kind of underground tours that require helmets, headlamps, and knee pads.

It’s a pretty simple walking tour. Interesting things will be pointed out to you on Main Street. Then you’ll go down a flight of stairs into the tunnels. The tunnels will remind you of the basement area of many professional buildings. It’s not “magical,” but it is interesting.

The trip I took also took us to the laundry facility. “Huge” is an understatement. Did you know that the towel carts used to bring linens to your rooms go through a daily “car wash?” Carts are loaded with dirty linens. Carts are loaded onto laundry trucks. Trucks take carts to laundry facility. Cart is picked up and dumped into a sorting area (where CM search for lost 'n found items). While the laundry goes through a 4 stage wash system, the carts are loaded onto a conveyor built and taken through the cart wash. After the wash, it goes through a dryer. When it comes out the other side, it is reloaded with clean linens, put on the trucks, and returned to the resort.

We also toured the area where they design and grow their topiaries.

Keys tothe Kingdom.

More like was it worth it or not. Thanks

[QUOTE=Cavey;1118149]I’m not sure what you mean by “pros” & “cons.” I like the kind of underground tours that require helmets, headlamps, and knee pads.

It’s a pretty simple walking tour. Interesting things will be pointed out to you on Main Street. Then you’ll go down a flight of stairs into the tunnels. The tunnels will remind you of the basement area of many professional buildings. It’s not “magical,” but it is interesting.

The trip I took also took us to the laundry facility. “Huge” is an understatement. Did you know that the towel carts used to bring linens to your rooms go through a daily “car wash?” Carts are loaded with dirty linens. Carts are loaded onto laundry trucks. Trucks take carts to laundry facility. Cart is picked up and dumped into a sorting area (where CM search for lost 'n found items). While the laundry goes through a 4 stage wash system, the carts are loaded onto a conveyor built and taken through the cart wash. After the wash, it goes through a dryer. When it comes out the other side, it is reloaded with clean linens, put on the trucks, and returned to the resort.

We also toured the area where they design and grow their topiaries.[/QUOTE]

The pros are that you get to see the “backstage” areas of Disney that you wouldn’t otherwise see. They take you backstage where they house the parade floats, and they also take you underground in the utilidors.

The cons for me were that most of the information we were told, any die-hard Disney fan would already know. The guide doesn’t really give you any information that you can’t find online or read in a book. If you really want to learn about how the Magic Kingdom operates, you might be better off watching Modern Marvels: Walt Disney World. This tour is for either the Disney newbie who is curious about how the World works or the Disney enthusiast who really wants to see the utilidors.

The other possible downside is that seeing everything backstage ruins the magic for you, and you can never see Disney in the same way. This happens to some people and is why others don’t have any interest in taking the tour. However, I’m assuming that since you eagerly signed up, this isn’t going to be a problem.

Lunch is provided at Columbia Harbour House. Being a get-your-money’s-worth girl, I intentionally ordered the most expensive thing on the menu (think it was a tuna or a chicken salad sandwich). You also get to keep your nametag and “key” to the kingdom - cool souvenir for a Disney-lover.

DW and I loved the Keys to the Kingdom tour. I felt it was well worth the cost. DS and I are planning on doing the steam engine tour (exact name slips my mind) this trip.

I kind of won the backstage trip. It WAS interesting. I wouldn’t have paid for it myself, and I wouldn’t give up a day in the parks to do it.

CC, I would really love to see photos from this tour, if you are allowed to take them.

We will try to get pic’s.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1118271]The pros are that you get to see the “backstage” areas of Disney that you wouldn’t otherwise see. They take you backstage where they house the parade floats, and they also take you underground in the utilidors.

The cons for me were that most of the information we were told, any die-hard Disney fan would already know. The guide doesn’t really give you any information that you can’t find online or read in a book. If you really want to learn about how the Magic Kingdom operates, you might be better off watching Modern Marvels: Walt Disney World. This tour is for either the Disney newbie who is curious about how the World works or the Disney enthusiast who really wants to see the utilidors.

The other possible downside is that seeing everything backstage ruins the magic for you, and you can never see Disney in the same way. This happens to some people and is why others don’t have any interest in taking the tour. However, I’m assuming that since you eagerly signed up, this isn’t going to be a problem.

Lunch is provided at Columbia Harbour House. Being a get-your-money’s-worth girl, I intentionally ordered the most expensive thing on the menu (think it was a tuna or a chicken salad sandwich). You also get to keep your nametag and “key” to the kingdom - cool souvenir for a Disney-lover.[/QUOTE]

It sounds great, We are looking foward to it.

Let us know how that tour is. We are now in the phase of how the place works.

I am always surprised at how few photos are floating around out there of backstage stuff, especially the utilidors. You can find a few, but not many. I am wondering if they have a no-photos policy when you get behind the curtain!

Yes, there is a strict no photo policy in all backstage areas.

You can take photos out in the parks, but you are not allowed to take any backstage.

I first witnessed this when my marching band was a “pre-parade” at Magic Kingdom. They confiscated all of our cell phones and gave us a lecture on taking photos. And then on the tour, they also tell you not to have your cell phones or cameras out backstage. If they see you with a camera or cell phone, you’ll be pulled aside for a little lecture and have to delete the photos.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1118393]Yes, there is a strict no photo policy in all backstage areas.

You can take photos out in the parks, but you are not allowed to take any backstage.

I first witnessed this when my marching band was a “pre-parade” at Magic Kingdom. They confiscated all of our cell phones and gave us a lecture on taking photos. And then on the tour, they also tell you not to have your cell phones or cameras out backstage. If they see you with a camera or cell phone, you’ll be pulled aside for a little lecture and have to delete the photos.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, I wont even bother. I dont want to be the first to be thrown out of the park yhat day.:eek:

We were allowed to take pics at the laundry and topiary areas, but nothing backstage.

Going backstage we were warned, “When CM’s are backstage they do not have to be in character. Please realize they may choose not to interact with you or even acknowledge you.” I found the CM’s we encountered to still be friendly anyway.

[QUOTE=Cavey;1118470]We were allowed to take pics at the laundry and topiary areas, but nothing backstage.

Going backstage we were warned, “When CM’s are backstage they do not have to be in character. Please realize they may choose not to interact with you or even acknowledge you.” I found the CM’s we encountered to still be friendly anyway.[/QUOTE]

Boy, your experience was different than ours! We went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour. I’m beginning to realize now it wasn’t the tour - it was our tour guide. This guy was so in love with himself all he did was tell stories about how guests fawned all over him. We stood in one place in those corridors (which look like a high school hallway, lined with lockers) and listened to him drone on and on forever, as we jumped out of the way of beeping (and I mean that TWO ways) golf carts. I promise you - I was going to lose it if one more beeped at me. We never moved out of that hallway - never saw a thing. Our own experience was awful - only time we ever asked for (and got back) our money. So don’t go by our experience.

I am glad they gave you your money back. We took a long walk around downstairs on our tour. We did get beeped at a lot. We also got to see the start of a parade from backstage. Most backstage CM’s were busy but the parade people got in character and waved to us.

We had a great guide, who I completely flustered when, at the end of the tour, I said, “Wait! We don’t get to see Walt’s cryogentics tube?”