Don't forget the tax!

I have figured and figured and finally decided that we would be slightly better off not purchasing the regular dining plan. I decided we didn’t need all the desserts and didn’t want to pack them around the park - cause you know I would have to take them if they were “free”. :laugh::laugh:
Then I was reading a post on another site that mentioned the 6.5% tax! That adds another $140!:ohmy: So there went my savings! I guess I’ll be packing those desserts around. :laugh:

That a good point but I think we’re still better off not getting the dining plan. It’s less stressful not having to worry about using credits we already paid for. We split our trip last summer and added the QS dining plan for two night and that was fine but I don’t think we’ll ever buy the regular plan again.

I just want you to start relaxing! It will be a terrific holiday.:happy:

We’re not DP people either. We tried it two or three times - but it was just too much! Too much planning, too much rushing, too much food. Just too much!

[QUOTE=llama;1072126]I just want you to start relaxing! It will be a terrific holiday.:happy:

We’re not DP people either. We tried it two or three times - but it was just too much! Too much planning, too much rushing, too much food. Just too much![/QUOTE]

That’s how we felt. We couldn’t eat all the food (back when everyone got a appetizer, meal, and dessert) and ate too many meals that we really didn’t want. Now we just eat what we want when we want and don’t worry about trying to get the best deal. Our trips are more relaxed this way.

I love the plan if you are planning on doing any sit down restraunts. If you plan on only counter service or if you have DVC then it makes more sense not to do it. We did last April but that was only because my dad paid for it all. The time before we only did big meals in our room at SSR and packed lunches with us. I suppose its all on what you are trying to do while there. IF you are doing several sit downs its well worth it- if not you might want to think of other options. It was better when you had an appetizer too-

My family has such high expectations for this trip that I am somewhat stressed. My husband wants to have a TS every evening, my DGD wants to eat at the Castle, my daughter wants HDDR, my DSIL just wants steak & shrimp LOL! I didn’t even ask my Niece & nephew! So for us, at least for this trip, the regular dining plan is the best choice. I hope!!
I am now “letting it go”!!
Maybe : )

[QUOTE=FairyGranmama;1072133]My family has such high expectations for this trip that I am somewhat stressed. My husband wants to have a TS every evening, my DGD wants to eat at the Castle, my daughter wants HDDR, my DSIL just wants steak & shrimp LOL! I didn’t even ask my Niece & nephew! So for us, at least for this trip, the regular dining plan is the best choice. I hope!!
I am now “letting it go”!!
Maybe : )[/QUOTE]

That sounds like one of our trips- we love both the CRT and the HDD - for steak we would eat at Le Cellier in Epcot. I would not do a sit down every night because you have to figure that it will take about 2 hours out of your day and Im not willing to waste that much time for “just a meal” it has to be a fantastic meal. And its even longer if you are not at the location that you are planning on eating (ie- you are eating at the contemporary but you are coming from your resort or another park) But you sound like you have a great plan all in all. The kids will LOVE the castle- everyone does their first time :wub:

I get the dining plan when I go. Planning ahead doesn’t stress me out – I would be making ADR’s anyway because I don’t want to hassle having a long wait for my meal. I like to do a sit down every day because the bulk of my touring is during the daytime, and a good evening meal is a great way for me to unwind and relax with the people with whom I’m vacationing. Having the dining plan not only helps me save a little cash, it also simplifies my travel budget by taking care of the food portion and allowing me to take less cash without adding more credit card debt while I’m there.

We love the dining plan. DH loves having that evening meal as a family.

I got an email from someone on another board :blush: with an excel spreadsheet dining calculator. it’s fabulous! you put in your plans for each, how many in your party, how often you get dessert, how long you are staying, how often you order non alcoholic drinks (25%, etc), how much you generally tip. it will figure the amount you’d likely spend without DDP and how much DDP would cost you (both QS and regular DDP).

overall, looks like we’ll be better off NOT doing DDP this trip. even if we did all of the ones we’d like, it’s still a better price to not do DDP.

I agree though, the DDP was so much nicer when you go appetizer and dessert and tip was included! what a deal that was!! :wub:

[QUOTE=llama;1072126]I just want you to start relaxing! It will be a terrific holiday.:happy:

We’re not DP people either. We tried it two or three times - but it was just too much! Too much planning, too much rushing, too much food. Just too much![/QUOTE]

Well said. The DDP doesn’t work for us either. It’s too much food. We’ve only had it once (because it was free) and I kept perfect track of everything we ate on the whole trip and in the end we would have saved over $200 by not doing the plan if we’d have had to pay for the plan. That’s with 1 sit down meal a day. Now, if the plan is free, I would consider doing it again because I know I’m not losing any money on it. Otherwise, we’ll never get it again.

That’s what we’ve found when I’ve done the math. It’s not a savings for us to add the dining plan because we don’t ever order dessert and we aren’t huge eaters (I guess). I really thought we were big eaters until we tried the dining plan and it got the best of us.

The DP works for us in most ways because of our long stay. However, I do agree the planning gets me down sometimes, as we always feel obliged to get the most out of the plan possible, which then cancels the opportunities for us to try other restaurants outside of the Disney area (remembering we’re ‘foreigners’ lol).

Unless you plan to do mostly Sig’s, Character/Buffet’s or all your kid’s are under 10 the DDP is not a better deal, but rather a convenience. If you’re just an avg eater at an avg restaurant like most are then OOP with other offers are a bigger savings and Disney knows this. Agree…it used to be a really good deal. Isn’t that what they call Bait & Switch :laugh:

[QUOTE=emamasa;1072183]I got an email from someone on another board :blush: with an excel spreadsheet dining calculator. it’s fabulous! you put in your plans for each, how many in your party, how often you get dessert, how long you are staying, how often you order non alcoholic drinks (25%, etc), how much you generally tip. it will figure the amount you’d likely spend without DDP and how much DDP would cost you (both QS and regular DDP).

overall, looks like we’ll be better off NOT doing DDP this trip. even if we did all of the ones we’d like, it’s still a better price to not do DDP.

I agree though, the DDP was so much nicer when you go appetizer and dessert and tip was included! what a deal that was!! :wub:[/QUOTE]

This spreadsheet is awesome. It showed me I would spend $281 more using the DDP.

Where is this spreadsheet??? I would like to see it also.

Please share Boss!

Ok, I was lying. There is a new version here: Home Page . I did the inputs and the dining plan will be less expensive by $132. I had some questions and Joe got back to me within the hour.

You input the number of nights you will be staying; where you want to eat; the % you tip etc… and BAM. The numbers roll in.

The free version was only for 2 nights so I had to put my days in and then check the total - It was always better to purchase the dining plan! Even when I changed the number of snacks that we would get without the plan to 1 and had no desserts.
Thanks Boss! It makes me feel even better about my decision to go with the regular dining plan!

Some people don’t care if they come out ahead or not with the dining plan, they just like the prepaid part of it. Even though we see prices online, for some reason when we have a menu in front of us, we hesitant to order the steak instead of the bowl of plain noodles…forget 7.99 for a piece of cake, we still have cookies from the plane trip…let’s just get one mickey bar and everybody gets a bite, won’t that be fun…you get the idea.