Double stroller or two singles?

Gosh I know this type of question has been asked a million times, but…

Our girls are going to be tiny when we go to DL, and will both need a stroller. We have a double stroller but it’s an absolute monstrosity, and I cannot imagine trying to navigate it around the park.

I’ve been looking at some double umbrella strollers, but some of them say a maximum of 35 lbs per seat (really?? Alice won’t even be 3 and I’m sure she’ll exceed 35 lbs by then!) which just seems crazy to me. And the only double-umbrellas I’m finding that will hold 35 lbs+ per seat cost more than the [I]regular[/I] double we have. :whistling

Anyone have experience bringing two small kids? Should we bite the bullet and bring the monster stroller, shell out more $$ for a double umbrella, or bring 2 small umbrella strollers and each push one kid?

Those were the days. We always used a double. It worked for us.

I always hated my double, with a passion. I think I threw a party when I threw it in the trash!

Personally, I would bring 2 umbrellas. Light, easy, and if you split up even for a minute, you’ll avoid the fights of who walks and who rides (unless one is a baby…haha). But you get my drift. I loved umbrellas.

We love our double stroller and have used it many times on our WDW trips. At DL you have less on/off bus situations which is the main headache of a stroller at WDW. The big convenience is that only one person has to do the pushing at a time so it makes it easier for the other person to be doing something else, having a break, or if you need to split up for a bit. It is really up to your own personal preference. Also DL is much smaller in size, so you won’t have as much walking around to do as in WDW, if that helps in the decision at all. I would just avoid any side-by-side double strollers, they are much harder to navigate through crowds/stores etc. Try to go with a front/back style.
Good luck with your decision!!:happy:

We used two different front-back double strollers for our twins (now 3). We never had any trouble with navigation, but it was a bit difficult for folding/carrying onto the WDW buses.
If the singles strollers are true umbrellas and fold into a roughly 6-in diameter cylinder (as opposed to folding in half or thirds), then they would probably be super handy for navigation and travel on/off buses/trains/etc, but realize then you HAVE to have two pushers. It worked out well for us that I could push/stay with stroller while DW went to restroom, got CS meals, got FPs, etc.

I had twins and we opted for the single strollers. I always felt that it was easier to push the single strollers through the stores, etc. Besides, we could actually split up now and then :wink:

I would use two umbrella strollers. Make sure they lay back for naps and if one has a basket, that’s even better! If one of the umbrellas is smaller or more lightweight, then it can be folded and put in the the one that has the basket (in case one of the kids wants to walk). We found it much easier for the kids to take a nap leaned back in their strollers then toting everyone back to the room for naps, while they were sleeping, DH and I took turns on the big rides. We have taken a double a couple times and they are just too difficult to navigate thru stores and especially on the bus.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input! I can see the pros/cons to either choice…hmmm. Maybe I will have to talk it over with DH.

Thanks, this is just what I was thinking! (Being able to fold one umbrella and carry it in/on the other for a while.) I can’t even get our double stroller through most of the local stores, and it’s SO frustrating. :pinch: I can’t imagine trying to get it through Disney shops where there are so many breakable things! Not to mention it is heavy to push around a mall for a couple of hours…I think all day with it at a theme park would kill us!

I don’t know about 1 or 2 strollers, but we totally kept DS in our umbrella past 35 pounds. I think his feet were probably even dragging. :laugh: It never broke. For me I’d say the 35 is “more of a guideline” :pirate::wink:

Isn’t there some sort of contraption that connects two umbrella stollers into one? I’m gonna go google that because i know I’ve seen it somewhere…

That, I believe, would be your best option. You could each take one (making it easier to navigate around), but if you HAD to, one of you could take both the girls at once…

EDIT:

YEP i knew there was something like that:

go here:

http://kidsstuff.stores.yahoo.net/strolcon.html

ANOTHER EDIT:

Go here to read reviews of this product on Amazon.com, including one from someone who used them in WDW:

[QUOTE=Jen;978503]Isn’t there some sort of contraption that connects two umbrella stollers into one? I’m gonna go google that because i know I’ve seen it somewhere…

That, I believe, would be your best option. You could each take one (making it easier to navigate around), but if you HAD to, one of you could take both the girls at once…

EDIT:

YEP i knew there was something like that:

go here:

Stroller Connectors Make Two Umbrella Strollers One!

ANOTHER EDIT:

Go here to read reviews of this product on Amazon.com, including one from someone who used them in WDW:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stroller Connectors[/QUOTE]

Wow! What a great idea!!

I’m not sure about DL but at WDW they also rent those big huge plastic looking stroller things…would that work? It might be easier to rent one than to have to lug one around everywhere you go. Or…I’d buy two cheapie umbrella strollers and call it a day.

I have those connector things that Jen suggested. They work great for us, but I feel like if you had children of very different weights they might cause some trouble. I feel like the wheels might get tangled up.

IMO, I would rather drag the big stroller. I like having cup holders and baskets and all those extras. I totally understand why you dont want to though! Double strollers are such a pain!

I think two single umbrella strollers would be easier to get around with. Doubles are wide and difficult to push through stores and crowds. Plus, this way, there’s no arguing over who has to push! :laugh:

I think I would opt for the two small umbrella strollers…just seems easier…especially if for whatever reason crowds are high.

We were never brave enough to take our double stroller because it is so big and bulky. DH struggled with getting our big, plush single stroller on and off the busses one trip, and declared we needed to do umbrella strollers on the next trip. The umbrellas are so much easier to use on the busses and navigating the parks. You can always buy one of those stroller bags and hang on the back if you need extra storage. We actually bought a little nicer umbrella stroller that had a mesh basket underneath so that it would still fold up like an umbrella, not fold in half. Just my thoughts.:happy:Good luck–the stroller decision is a tough one, but you’ll make the one that is best for you and your girls.

Thanks again guys!!! You have helped me out a ton!

Jen, thanks for the link to that connector - that could be a big help!! (Alil, you have a good point about the girls’ differing weights though…that seems like it could be awkward. :laugh:)

I talked to DH and he agreed that taking our double stroller would be bad news…we won’t have to deal with busses at DL, but everything in general is smaller there, including how much room there actually is to maneuver in the parks! I think we will probably go with two umbrellas…Alice will want to walk a lot (she has more energy than any toddler I’ve ever known, and sitting is an absolute curse to her! :whistling) so hopefully we can comfortably find a way to transport one of them when it’s not in use.

Oh, so the Alice-wanting-to-walk-a-lot brings me to another question…

…how do you reign in a toddler while in the parks? One of those wrist strap things? The full backpack-style harness? Nothing, just yell and curse at them when they wander away? (Haha, kidding! :wink:)

I used to think those harnesses were cruel and unusual, but now that I have children of my own, of course my tune has changed. :laugh: I can’t keep track of Alice when we’re walking in the grocery store, let alone in a theme park! I have one of the wrist-strap things but I’ve never opened it or used it. I’m thinking she would be more receptive to the backpack style, because it would give her something “fun” to carry for herself.

Thoughts?

[QUOTE=dznygrl;978679]Thanks again guys!!! You have helped me out a ton!

Jen, thanks for the link to that connector - that could be a big help!! (Alil, you have a good point about the girls’ differing weights though…that seems like it could be awkward. :laugh:)

I talked to DH and he agreed that taking our double stroller would be bad news…we won’t have to deal with busses at DL, but everything in general is smaller there, including how much room there actually is to maneuver in the parks! I think we will probably go with two umbrellas…Alice will want to walk a lot (she has more energy than any toddler I’ve ever known, and sitting is an absolute curse to her! :whistling) so hopefully we can comfortably find a way to transport one of them when it’s not in use.[/QUOTE]
The umbrella stroller that we have is a Combi, and it has a carrying strap. I don’t know how comfortable it would be to walk around with that thing on your shoulder, but it is a handy-dandy feature!:happy: