Down Under

I have heard that there are “tunnels” under WDW that allows characters to walk to and from their appropriate areas. I have also heard that it is almost like a little “city” under there. My questions are : 1) Is this true, are they just walkways or is there a hidden city, 2) Have any of you been down there? Details please, this is pretty interesting to me.

Oh wow, we need to send you some books, lol
There is life under Magic Kingdom. Everything that goes on in a business that you can’t see is going on under there. The MK was built 30 feet above ground level to make room for that “underground” which really is above ground. Does that make sense?
The corridors are called Utilidors and are pretty intricate. You should take a tour of the MK, you might be amazed.

I think I am correct in saying when Princess Diana visited WDW with the two Princes this was the way they got around the park.
They obviously could not walk from ride to ride due to security and so they used the under the ground system.

here’s a link for you YouTube - Around The World - Backstage At Walt Disney World

YouTube - Walt Disney World Resort: Behind the Scenes Part I
YouTube - Walt Disney World Resort: Behind the Scenes Part II
YouTube - Walt Disney World Resort: Behind the Scenes Part III
YouTube - Walt Disney World Resort: Behind the Scenes Part IV
YouTube - Walt Disney World Resort: Behind the Scenes Part V

YouTube - Disney Fact or Fiction: Disney World Underground Tunnel Myth

I’ve been in the Utilidors twice, once when I took an architechtural tour in ehhh about '94 and then last year when we did the “Keys to the Kingdom” tour last year. It is HUGE, there are parts where the long hallways seem to never end. I’d say the utilidors are at least 12 feet wide, and some of the walls are painted with a colored stripe that corresponds with whichever land you are under.

I’ve seen a barber shop down there, a Cast Member pin refreshing counter, a makeup & hair dressing room area where once I saw an Aurora getting ready for her shift. I’ve also noticed many different type of offices and break type rooms down there. There are safety & reminder boards all over the place and the one thing that was a little eerie to me was the music being piped in. There was like a constant stream of “relaxing music” coming through the speakers, it was a little dreary too.

Very very cool though!

I found this link posted on line:
WDW: Magic Kingdom Utilidors (Large) Map

[QUOTE=dixie;871605]I think I am correct in saying when Princess Diana visited WDW with the two Princes this was the way they got around the park.
They obviously could not walk from ride to ride due to security and so they used the under the ground system.[/QUOTE]

There is a department within guest relations to assist high profile guests. Sometimes they are taken backstage to get around the parks because it better for their own security or if it would create a mob trying to see them. When celebrities visit us we want them and their children to be able to experience the magic of the parks without having to deal with paparazzi or being hounded.

I walk through the utlidors every day to get to my work location. It is like being in an underground secret city, but I much prefer the magic of being onstage.

This is utterly amazing! I would love to get one for my school! That way I could hide from kids, parents…and teachers!!! Ha!

As long as you can handle the rancid smell when the Avac that sucks all the parks garbage out breaks down :blow:

If you’re even more interested, you’ll be happy to know that Epcot also has a set of tunnels running underneath Future World. They’re designed much like the ones at MK, only MUCH longer and wider. Takes FOREVER to get where you need to with those.

I didn’t know they were in Epcot too!

Some days…that might not seem too bad!!!

Whoa!! Thats news to me! Awesome!! I wish I coulda gone down there while I was a CP! =(

[QUOTE=Dopey;871607]here’s a link for you YouTube - Around The World - Backstage At Walt Disney World

YouTube - Walt Disney World Resort: Behind the Scenes Part I
YouTube - Walt Disney World Resort: Behind the Scenes Part II
YouTube - Walt Disney World Resort: Behind the Scenes Part III
YouTube - Walt Disney World Resort: Behind the Scenes Part IV
YouTube - Walt Disney World Resort: Behind the Scenes Part V

YouTube - Disney Fact or Fiction: Disney World Underground Tunnel Myth[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I will be sure to watch all intently!!!

Oh by the way…this is my 100th post!!!

Congratulations Boilerjeff on your 100th post!!

I heard that too but I dont know if you can go down there unless you have special passes or something but i dont know!

Yay, it’s a whole new world now :ph34r: