Downtown Disney

I am debating on whether or not to spend our first afternoon and evening when we arrive @ DTD. It will be my husband, 21y/o and 9y/o and myself. It looks like there are some fun things to do but is it worth it? Any thoughts are appreciated.

DTD is great for shopping/window shopping. They have a pick-a-pearl place (last time I was there I got a huge, blue pearl). I always have to do that. World of Disney is awesome, even if you don’t buy anything (I’ve never been able to do that). On the West Side there’s Disney Quest (big video game complex), a movie theatre. For food there’s alot of good CS places (Earl of Sandwich) and some creative sit downs (the new T-Rex and the old Rainforest Cafe). DTD is a good place to go if you only have a half day and don’t want to spend it at a park.

DtD is a great place to spend your first day/evening, lots of good shopping and dining.

We always spend out first afternoon/evening at DTD. We want a Disney experience but don’t want to use one of our ticket days up in a few hours. Plus, I am usually tired from driving and strolling around DTD is a great way for me to unwind. They have great restaurants, bars, shopping and entertainment. They also have a new t-shirt store where you can design your own Disney t-shirt. I’m looking forward to trying that out next time we go. Try DTD, you’ll like it! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

we usually spend our first day there this time we are going the day we leave to pick up last minute stuff and eat… you will like it and they have great places to shop/eat. and just cool to wander.

I think it would be a great introduction to all things Disney as there is a variety of things to see and do whilst down there.
Theres lots of cool places to shop and eat, and its a nice family atmosphere- yep a must do for me!

We make it as a quick stop on the first day to renew our AP’s (if necessary), maybe have a light lunch before we check into the resort (we always take an early morning flight). After check-in, we hit a park. We do go back to DtD at least once during the trip to shop till we drop though.

Hi everyone, I am pretty new here but I just had to put my two cents in on this one. When my boys and I went last March we spent one morning at DTD. We stay at POR and took the ferry there and just wandered around, the boys played on the playground at the lego store and we had snack by the lake and watched the lizards sun theirselves. It was just a nice relaxing day and one of my favorite places. Oh and the boys got a special treat at Once Upon a Toy since they were the first ones there at opening they got to start the train that runs along the top of the store and recieved certificates saying they were conductors for the day!

I recommend visiting DtD at least once during your vacation - great shopping (but if you don’t want to spend a lot on souvenirs, you might want to avoid it, as the Once Upon A Toy is very tempting for kiddos…).

It really depends on your ticket. If you have a ticket for the day that you can use, go into the parks for fireworks. But if you are ticketless, DtD is a great place to soak in the Disney magic without being in the parks.

Or… you could swim at the resort pool. Or visit the Boardwalk and watch Illuminations from afar.

Beware that parking and buses to/from DtD can be a disaster. We usually drive to DtD, but it’s very difficult to find a parking space. The buses, depending on where your resort is located, can take an awfully long time. It took us 45 minutes to get from the Boardwalk to DtD one night.

As for whether or not it’s worth it… all you have to lose is time. If you could be visiting the parks instead, I’d recommend that. But otherwise, DtD is a great choice.

*Oh, and be sure to make ADRs for a DtD restaurant if possible (I know Planet Hollywood and T-Rex take ADRs… that’s about all I’m sure of) - waits can be awful!

Sorry to disagree with some others but if you are arriving late afternoon I would get straight to a park. probably MK or EPCOT and have a meal in there.

Well thats what I would do for what its worth:laugh::laugh:

this is exactly what DH and i have been knocking around, and ultimately we agree with Victoria & Jimbo.

we are AP holders, so we have park tickets & we are not big shoppers, so we are opting to go to Epcot for our first evening. a character meal and fireworks are on our agenda!

Last year we got into SSR early since we drove down and took the boat over to DTD, window shopped, ate at Earl of Sandwich, and wandered around. After that we went back to SSR to veg out the rest of the day.

We have a tradition, on the first day, we always got to DtD. It’s great to look around, stroll, shop, eat, and if you have young kids, they love to play there (Legos Store, in the fountains, etc.)

I especially like Mickey’s Mart (everything is under $10). That would be a great place to let your 9 yr old shop maybe.

DtD really puts you in the Disney spirit. It’s a nice start to any trip and prepare you for the excitement and the MILES of walking you will do in the parks throughout the rest of the week

DTD is a good way to spend a first day, especially if arriving late afternoon or evening. No sense burning a day of your ticket for just a few hours in a park.

We love DTD too, the Lego store is a big hit with my boys, but, I too would go to a park first. I like to save DTD for one of our “down” days.

I have to agree, DTD is a great way to spend a first day! That is always our plan, since we don’t like to waste a day of our park hoppers on arrival day.

My kids love it there! There is the Lego Store which is amazing. There is a big play area right outside that will keep the kids busy for quite some time! Then there’s McDonalds…there is a big playground right outside of there, too. There’s also a small Carousel and a Train that my kids love to go on. In the summer, there is a water squirting fountain that the kids can run in and out of to cool off.

It is SUCH a nice way to kick off your WDW Vacation, IMHO.

Have fun!!! :happy:

DTD is just a great way to relax. I love the evening atmosphere. We always plan multiple trips to DTD when we are at Disney.

Oh yeah…DTD also has two of the BEST CS places in all of WDW.

Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Puck Express. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!! :happy:

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;933382]I have to agree, DTD is a great way to spend a first day! That is always our plan, since we don’t like to waste a day of our park hoppers on arrival day.

My kids love it there! There is the Lego Store which is amazing. [/QUOTE]
That’s why we do it, too, so we don’t waste a day of the Hopper while we’re exhausted from the trip down!

The LEGO STORE!! DS could spend the entire economic stimulus package there!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;933435]Oh yeah…DTD also has two of the BEST CS places in all of WDW.

Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Puck Express. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!! :happy:[/QUOTE]

We’re going to try EOS for the first time this May. I’m so excited. I’ve heard great things about it!