Driving entertainment

I am starting to get into some hard-core planning now that I am almost at the 120day away mark (WOOHOO)<<<random excited outburst! I need things that my DD and I can do while driving to keep it entertaining.

I need things we can do while I drive…I need constant mental stimulation, so she can’t zone out and do something alone…lol

I have this:

1. License plate game
  2. Disney song sing along
  3. music jam party…goes without saying

That only covers about 3 hours…lol HELP! We are intending to drive up to 12 hours the first day if I can make it…

Do you have the hidden mickey book? You could talk about the ones that you know you have seen, and make plans to look for the others… I have a hidden secrets book too, with little known facts… like- the two digit numbers over the “houses” in Liberty square… If you put a 17 in front of it, that was the year that this style of house would have been built…

That would take up a few hours, and you could start and stop as you need to…

[QUOTE=hanwill;1073046]Do you have the hidden mickey book? You could talk about the ones that you know you have seen, and make plans to look for the others… I have a hidden secrets book too, with little known facts… like- the two digit numbers over the “houses” in Liberty square… If you put a 17 in front of it, that was the year that this style of house would have been built…

That would take up a few hours, and you could start and stop as you need to…[/QUOTE]

Excellent idea. We bought the Drive I95 book and there is tons of stuff she wants to stop and see ,but I won’t have it until the return trip home. On the way down there, I want to BE AT WDW! Thanks for the suggestion. Keep em coming people! I need hours and hours of entertainment and I have the attention span of a 5 year old.

Have you read Kingdom Keepers? If not, you could get an audio book and play it on your way down to get in the mood. :mickey: That should knock a couple hours out… more if you get the sequels too!

You can look for South of the Border signs once you
hit a certain point in North Carolina. They are always fun.
If you are driving, she can spot them and read them to you
(better not take your eyes off the road lol!)
What about books on tape? Find something you both like
and listen to it (not sure how old your dd is).
You could talk about what you want to do during each
of your park visits.

That’s exactly what I was going to say, only get the audio of the Twilight series. We listened to the Davinci Code audio book on the way to Disney one time. It really made the time go by very quickly.

Speaking of books on tape, I recently listened to Memoirs of a Geisha, and Eat, Pray, Love. Both where awesome, I happened to watch Memiors of a Geisha a couple of months prior and couldn’t wait to see what I would here next.

Also when I was a kid the only comedy Mom would let us listen to or watch was Bill Cosby. It’s good clean fun, nothing crud, no curse words. And to this day Bill Cosby Himself is still my favorite. I listened to that once while going in a road trip and it helped pass the time.

Our one DD gets car sick. We gave her Dramamine the first trip and she slept most of the trip.

Just a thought.:redface::laugh::confused::nuke:

[QUOTE=Dana;1073042]I am starting to get into some hard-core planning now that I am almost at the 120day away mark (WOOHOO)<<<random excited outburst! I need things that my DD and I can do while driving to keep it entertaining.

I need things we can do while I drive…I need constant mental stimulation, so she can’t zone out and do something alone…lol

I have this:

1. License plate game
  2. Disney song sing along
  3. music jam party…goes without saying

That only covers about 3 hours…lol HELP! We are intending to drive up to 12 hours the first day if I can make it…[/QUOTE]

Dana we head out the day after you for a 20hr drive, so if you come up with anything good let us know. I did find at one of our local stores a quiz game on c.d. for the car there were 4 different versions So I got all of those. We also bought the Hidden Magic Disney World for the ride down. You could get that and DD could read the good parts outloud

Then for the kids we bought them backpacks for easter and filled them with colouring books, word searches, journals, sketch books, twistables and refillable pencils (so we don’t need a pencil sharpener) a glow on the go day and night.
So they will have a lot to do now it’s just keeping DH and myself entertained, lol though there arguing about who is taking up more of the seat is likely to keep us a little entertained.

There is the ever popular: “What’s that smell?” that people use while waiting in lines.

For the license plate game, you could print of sheets with numbers 1-999 on them and let the kiddies check of every single one they find. That would keep some kids busy for the whole trip, although some would be bored.

A suggestion to add to the backpack is a junior atlas. My boys loved that they got to track where they were going, how much farther, what’s around them as far as historical stuff, etc.

When driving we always are sports minded and get a chuckle when we see the mileage signs :

Nashville 47
Memphis 67

We always say " Wow Memphis destroyed Nashville "

I stopped by today and find this great thread!

Ok here is my game. Travel Golf; Calculate what time you are going to arrive at a point down the road. See the road sign for a say Charlotte 189 miles and jot down what time you calculate you will arrive at the first official exit for Charlotte. Keep track of how many minutes you miss by. Person with the lowest score wins.

It is pretty addictive and much safer then any travel drinking game Boss might suggest.

TTFN

[QUOTE=tigger;1073101]I stopped by today and find this great thread!

Ok here is my game. Travel Golf; Calculate what time you are going to arrive at a point down the road. See the road sign for a say Charlotte 189 miles and jot down what time you calculate you will arrive at the first official exit for Charlotte. Keep track of how many minutes you miss by. Person with the lowest score wins.

It is pretty addictive and much safer then any travel drinking game Boss might suggest.

TTFN[/QUOTE]

Boss would not suggest an unsafe drinking game, instead of license plate game, he’d have beer outlet sign game or count the beer cans on the side of the road game. And of course he’d being singing “99 bottles” over and over and over alllll the way down.

Stop by any Cracker Barrel and they have alot of travel games, etc. that would be of help. I also had my kids each pick a color and then had them each count the number of cars that had their color and the first to 100 got to pick the spot where we stopped for a meal and if you have more than 1 child you know how hard the choosing of a place to eat can be.

[QUOTE=WALL;1073094]When driving we always are sports minded and get a chuckle when we see the mileage signs :

Nashville 47
Memphis 67

We always say " Wow Memphis destroyed Nashville "[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Thank you. Now this is going to go through my head EVERY time I see a mileage sign. :laugh:

I like the idea of books on cd. We are driving to Hilton Head with 7 people ages 14 and up…these suggestions are helpful. With just two of you, it will be harder to keep conversations and games up for that long so a few books on tape might work.

We play this game where we start with the number one and try to find it on a billboard, license plate wherever and work out way up to 99 - we never did finish! lol Can do it with the alphabet on license plates much easier!

The License Plate game is good, just don’t drive through a military base like we did or else your game is 1/2 way over before you get out on the road :laugh:

My daughter likes to look for a certain type of car (VW bugs) and the 1st person to call the car/color wins. Prize is usually a punch in the arm to everyone else, but I could see alot of sore arms after 12 hrs…maybe not such a good idea there :laugh: