Driving from NE PA to WDW in May

Ok, we have decided to drive to WDW this year to save a good penny. We’ll ave three drivers, DH, myself and DSS. We are hoping to drive straight through, with breaks.

How many hours do you think it will take? The GPS says about 17. DH drove straight through to Daytona in 16 hours years ago with several drivers.

Also, anywhere we should stop for a break that will be interesting???

[QUOTE=hiner;926495]Ok, we have decided to drive to WDW this year to save a good penny. We’ll ave three drivers, DH, myself and DSS. We are hoping to drive straight through, with breaks.

How many hours do you think it will take? The GPS says about 17. DH drove straight through to Daytona in 16 hours years ago with several drivers.

Also, anywhere we should stop for a break that will be interesting???[/QUOTE]

Well I am not sure from where you are coming from. We drive from NYC area and it takes us about 16 hours…with breaks! GPS says it will take almost 18 hours. But DH drives about 11 mph over the speed limit (not sure why 11mph :confused:), so we get there rather quickly. We now really like driving. We save A LOT of money and we get to take as much luggage as we want. Plus, we have our car there and we don’t have to rent a car or depend on Disney Transportation.

I think you will do GREAT especially since you have 3 drivers. DH is the only one who drives and it still works out great for us.

GOOD LUCK!

You can do it from South Jersey (close to Deleware) in 14.5 hours…so 16 is a fair estimate. Go straight through and stop when and where you have to…just go!! lol

Drive fast.
Take chances.

I assume u will be driving straight down 95
Unsure as we are in Toronto area Canada we have a 21-23 hour drive depending on which we take. We like to switch up I75 and the I90-I79-I95 to I4 From Daytona its only like an hour an hour 20 at most.
As for stopping try to stop for fuel and meals together speeds up the trip.

Hope it helps

We also live in ne pa and have driven down once. It took us 17 hrs (before we had kids)

We were going to drive down this May but then we found a great airfare!

we drove with two drivers last year, with about 100 less miles in about 17 hours, 2 of those were us being lost in Georgia and map quest. it would have been 15 for us if we had not got lost. Now i have a Garmin, it will shave off one full hour and we will by pass Georgia all together! so no lostie and if we do get lost it reroutes us so we can still get there on time! but acourding to my iphone and your location it says 16 hours 26 minutes with traffic

Thanks all!!!

I am just not looking forward to all those South of The Border billboards. I remember them when we drove down as kids.

I also told DS that he should make a list of DVD’s he wants and we will get them before we leave so he has new ones to watch.

The gas and food at one shot is a good tip.

Thanks all!

when we lived in Wilkes-barre pa… it took us 18 hours we now live in carlisle outside harrisburg and last time we went it took us 18 hour not sure why except we hit traffic in Charlotte. we take 81 down and hit 95.outside norfolk. id love to know how you miss Georgia.

according to the garmin we go through Alabama and hit I 10 across to I 75.

If you pass through Beckley West Virginia make sure you stop at Tamarack,it’s an artisan craft store and Greenbrier resaurant. It is fantastic!!

[QUOTE=momofaprincess;926528]We also live in ne pa and have driven down once. It took us 17 hrs (before we had kids)

We were going to drive down this May but then we found a great airfare![/QUOTE]
We’re going in May too, where’d you find great airfare??? I’ve been looking and haven’t found cheap ones yet!

I found 66 each way out of westchester county airport (ny) it’s about 2 hrs from us but then again so is newark…

we usually fly out of stewart in newburgh ny but they were outrageous…

that works out to 21 plus hours for us.

Try Allegient Air out of Allentown, PA to Sanford, FL. It was $720.00 non-stop round trip. We usually rent a car which is why we looked into Sanford and Tampa, FL.

I can help with Georgia directions… since that is where I live… How did you get lost?

The trick is to get on I-75 south and stay on it… no bypass around Atlanta… It takes too long…

We drove from Scranton last July to WDW and it took about 17hrs. We left at 5:30a.m. and arrived in Oralando around 10:30. It seemed like the perfect time of the day to leave because we hit no traffic-it was a Sunday. We packed a picnic for lunch and ate in a rest area right when we got in N. Carolina. I think it was there welcome center. We also had to stop at a Walmart along the way becasue DH frogot to bring new batteries so that must have taken a good 20 minutes. For dinner we had drive through (not the greatest) but it was fast.

The most valuable book I bought was Drive I-95. I found it at Boarders in Scranton. It gives you every resturant, shop, and everything else under the sun at every exit you will pass on 95. Well worth the $20.00 but I am sure you can find a used one on the internet somewhere. I would give you my copy but we are driving again this summer.

Also, the ride down seems so much eaiser. We were all excited to get there and watched Disney movies along the way. The ride home I would suggest staying somewhere overnight. It just seemed like FOR-EV-ER.

I hope all this info helps. Have fun!

[QUOTE=Remy;927153]
The most valuable book I bought was Drive I-95. I found it at Boarders in Scranton. It gives you every resturant, shop, and everything else under the sun at every exit you will pass on 95. Well worth the $20.00 but I am sure you can find a used one on the internet somewhere. I would give you my copy but we are driving again this summer.[/QUOTE]

I will have to tell DH about the Drive I-95 book. He’ll pick one up for us to read.

We are looking forward to the drive down, but not the drive back. I guess we will see how it goes on the way down and decide whether to stay overnight on the way back.

Thanks,
Kim

The drive down is always more exciting however since the parks are go go go, we don’t seem to mind the forced rest in the car. Everyone seems to catch up on their sleep.

[QUOTE=Remy;927153]We drove from Scranton last July to WDW and it took about 17hrs. We left at 5:30a.m. and arrived in Oralando around 10:30. It seemed like the perfect time of the day to leave because we hit no traffic-it was a Sunday. We packed a picnic for lunch and ate in a rest area right when we got in N. Carolina. I think it was there welcome center. We also had to stop at a Walmart along the way becasue DH frogot to bring new batteries so that must have taken a good 20 minutes. For dinner we had drive through (not the greatest) but it was fast.

The most valuable book I bought was Drive I-95. I found it at Boarders in Scranton. It gives you every resturant, shop, and everything else under the sun at every exit you will pass on 95. Well worth the $20.00 but I am sure you can find a used one on the internet somewhere. I would give you my copy but we are driving again this summer.

Also, the ride down seems so much eaiser. We were all excited to get there and watched Disney movies along the way. The ride home I would suggest staying somewhere overnight. It just seemed like FOR-EV-ER.

I hope all this info helps. Have fun![/QUOTE]
my family lives in Scranton and right outside in Archbald too! Have you ever taken the train?