Duffy the Disney Bear

I really can’t stand Duffy or the fact that he has taken over everywhere at WDW. To me it seems like Duffy is just a way to make more money. He just doesn’t fit in!

You can now buy ice cream inside a Duffey head cup- UGH!!

The Great “Duffy Head Cup” Poll | the disney food blog

Am I the only one who thinks this way? What are your thoughts?

I definitely agree, he doesn’t fit in at all! Is he a Disney character from Playhouse Disney or Club Penguin or something like that? If so then because I am not around young children I would not be familiar with him anyway.
No, he doesn’t do it for me as a new character- and no I would not eat ice cream out of his head :slight_smile:

I’m glad we’re not alone. He doesn’t make sense, who is he? Disneys answer to build a bear? We don’t care for him and it’s annoying how he’s in every store and it seemed like every window display. It just felt like Disney was really pushing it.

I agree with all of you.

No, he’s not from Playhouse Disney or any of those (although they’ve decided to call THAT Disney Junior now… I’m sure there were a million marketing analysts behind that decision, but whatever). Anyways, Duffy is solely a made-up character. And I know it sounds weird to say “a made-up character” in this context… but Duffy was made up for the SOLE PURPOSE of having a bear to sell.

From what I’ve read, he’s very popular in Japan?

I was so glad that at the Mickey/Duffy Meet & Greet at California Adventure, only Mickey was in attendance, so we took some time to visit with him. If Duffy had been there, we would have waved and kept walking.

With all the characters Disney has created, they have to create a really unimaginative, pedestrian bear to sell ice cream?

:laugh: exactly!

I mean Duffy’s cute & all, but he doesn’t fit in with the other characters. When you have the likes of Mickey & friends, the princesses, pirates, all of Pixar, now all of Marvel, and even more, why the heck do you need a generic-looking teddy bear?

[QUOTE=Tinker Mel;1085785]:laugh: exactly!

I mean Duffy’s cute & all, but he doesn’t fit in with the other characters. When you have the likes of Mickey & friends, the princesses, pirates, all of Pixar, now all of Marvel, and even more, why the heck do you need a generic-looking teddy bear?[/QUOTE]

I found an article on Duffy whilst searching around, this piece is quite interesting and explains quite alot about the intended target market. However, not all things transfer well, this being one of them, it make work in Tokyo, but not in the US and I am unsure whether he exists at all at DLP?
Disney Bear was originally created by the Disney Design art team here in Orlando using Mickey as the inspiration; Duffy has a Mickey Mouse shaped face and a Mickey-shaped birthmark on his hip. Two years later, Tokyo Disney Resort adopted Disney Bear to be fresh content for Tokyo Disney Seas Park. The story behind the bear was: Minnie made a bear for Mickey to keep him company on his world travels. Mickey named him “Duffy” because Minnie gave him the bear in a duffel bag. Eventually Duffy became a character in the Tokyo Disney Seas park, and over a 5-year period, Duffy became one of the most sought-after souvenirs in the Japanese resort and a coveted collectible by Japanese women ages 20-35.

Make no sense to me either. I’m REALLY hoping with the acquistion of Marvel that we will start to see some Super Heroes in the parks. By DS (and DH for that matter) are HUGE super hero fans and would be beyond themselves to meet some of their favorites.

I agree when we saw his merchandise at Disney we just kept on walking. No offense to Disney but build a bear has way cuter stuffed animals. When we buy a Disney item, we are aiming for a Disney fav like Ariel or Daisy Duck.

Yes we were the same just kept on walking too.I wonder why they dont make the most of some of the characters they already have and dont use? For example, I have never seen any Russell merchandise from the movie ‘Up’. I love that character, yet here in the UK there was very little merchandise connected to that movie- and definitely no Russell figures:crying:

Well, it would seem that I’m the only one again:blush:…I have a Duffy Bear and I love him:wub: I even have a few different outfits for him and he traveled with us to Alaska and the Yukon. He had his sailor suit on for our cruise and then changed into his Yukon outfit when we visited the Yukon as part of one of our excursions:happy: If he’s just another money maker…guess they’ve made more money off of me. I wanted one ever since I saw his Mickey shaped paw pads:heart:

Haters are gonna hate:laugh:,but I’m gonna be happy hugging my Duffy Bear:happy::tongue:

[QUOTE=Peppertink;1085808]Well, it would seem that I’m the only one again:blush:…I have a Duffy Bear and I love him:wub: I even have a few different outfits for him and he traveled with us to Alaska and the Yukon. He had his sailor suit on for our cruise and then changed into his Yukon outfit when we visited the Yukon as part of one of our excursions:happy: If he’s just another money maker…guess they’ve made more money off of me. I wanted one ever since I saw his Mickey shaped paw pads:heart:

Haters are gonna hate:laugh:,but I’m gonna be happy hugging my Duffy Bear:happy::tongue:[/QUOTE]

Awww - I would have liked to see him in his little sailor suit - actually I would have liked to see YOU dressing him in his little sailor suit. What was the Yukon outfit - a plaid shirt?:laugh: And I ESPECIALLY would have like to see the other passengers when you were hauling him around. Did you use a Baby Bjorn? Or a Baby Bear Bjorn?:laugh:

Duffy was our darling angel cat who passed away last year - so I don’t like some freaky bear using his name.:glare:

[QUOTE=Peppertink;1085808] I wanted one ever since I saw his Mickey shaped paw pads:heart:

Haters are gonna hate:laugh:,but I’m gonna be happy hugging my Duffy Bear:happy::tongue:[/QUOTE]

Okay… as much as I don’t like him… I do love the little paws. :laugh:

[QUOTE=llama;1085818]Awww - I would have liked to see him in his little sailor suit - actually I would have liked to see YOU dressing him in his little sailor suit. What was the Yukon outfit - a plaid shirt?:laugh: And I ESPECIALLY would have like to see the other passengers when you were hauling him around. Did you use a Baby Bjorn? Or a Baby Bear Bjorn?:laugh:

Duffy was our darling angel cat who passed away last year - so I don’t like some freaky bear using his name.:glare:[/QUOTE]

Baby Bjorn:laugh::laugh::blink: I love him, but not THAT much:laugh::laugh: I’ll see if I can find a picture of him in his outfits. :happy: Yes, his Yukon outfit does consist of a plaid shirt, pants and a warm hat(with ear flaps):laugh::laugh:

:crying::crying:I can see how it would be hard to have a freaky bear bearing:closedeye the same name as your beloved kitty:crying:

PS My parents are feeding this sickness, they sent Duffy a new outfit the other day. He is now the proud owner of a pair of lederhosen :happy:

Awww now you made me feel bad-:crying: OK, I’m back pedalling here, I too would like/love him in his sailor suit, and Chelsey would just love him in Lederhosen-as you know she loves all things German- so can I be a bit forgiven? Its nothing personal Duffy, you’re super cute but its just you aint a Disney style likkle bear:heart:

[QUOTE=Peppertink;1085821]Baby Bjorn:laugh::laugh::blink: I love him, but not THAT much:laugh::laugh: I’ll see if I can find a picture of him in his outfits. :happy: Yes, his Yukon outfit does consist of a plaid shirt, pants and a warm hat(with ear flaps):laugh::laugh:

:crying::crying:I can see how it would be hard to have a freaky bear bearing:closedeye the same name as your beloved kitty:crying:

PS My parents are feeding this sickness, they sent Duffy a new outfit the other day. He is now the proud owner of a pair of lederhosen :happy:[/QUOTE]

OK - you’re reeling me in with the lederhosen!:laugh: Does he have a little outfit for every country in World Showcase?

I want to state categorically here that I do not even OWN a plaid shirt. OK - one plaid scarf - but it’s Burberry plaid.

I think it’s that head cup that freaks me out. It has sort of an ‘Anne Boleyn’ vibe to it…:huh:

[QUOTE=llama;1085829]OK - you’re reeling me in with the lederhosen!:laugh: Does he have a little outfit for every country in World Showcase?

I want to state categorically here that I do not even OWN a plaid shirt. OK - one plaid scarf - but it’s Burberry plaid.[/QUOTE]

They offer many of the outfits, but not all. However, he only has three of them, so far:happy:

Burberry plaid is fashionable, I’d worry if you had the other.:laugh:

Yeah, I’m not on board with the ice cream head cup thing:blink:

[QUOTE=Peppertink;1085831]
Burberry plaid is fashionable, I’d worry if you had the other.:laugh:[/QUOTE]

Be assured you need never worry.:closedeye