DVC and DCL?

I told my guide that I wanted to go on a cruise while signing up for DVC. She advised me not to use the pts for the cruise because members get %30 %40 discounts. Is this true? If so how do I go about reserving this at the DVC discount price?

Huh, I don’t know. I guess you would just call member services and go through them. That is some great info to share!

I’ve never heard that. I hope you call member services and let us know what they say. If it’s true we may be doing a cruise sooner than I thought.

I called Member service today and they closed at 2. this is how she told me…
I told her I wanted to go on a DCL. She said why dont I use pts for 2 adults and then use my %30 discount for the child which I would only have to pay $160 so I have no clue… I will call and let ya all know!!

I actually heard something like that, pay for the adults but pay for the kids in cash because the room is already booked and your really only paying for the meals that the additional people (my kids) will eat.
So when you call that would be great to share the info, thanks!

I have NEVER heard of a DVC discount for cruises! If this is true I am calling Member Services tomorrow because I have a 4-night cruise booked for June & I paid regular rate through the cruise line.

I heard about this MONTHS ago (when my friend’s MIL purchased AKV) and mentioned it, and everyone looked at me like I had 9 heads. :blink::laugh:

I think it’s a 30% discount. At least, that’s what I heard.

I am definately calling member services because I looked EVERYWHERE on-line and can’t find any DVC Cruise discount! Weird.

I dont know if its something she said to me JUST to get me to buy DVC but she did mention a discount. I cant remember if its %30 or %40 Im calling today so I will let everyone know.

It MAY be that if you use points it’s like a 30% discount (if you just figure the annual fee) over the cash rate. That’s about what it works out to.

But keep us posted on what you find out.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;882460]It MAY be that if you use points it’s like a 30% discount (if you just figure the annual fee) over the cash rate. That’s about what it works out to.

But keep us posted on what you find out.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. However, I would love a discount on a cash cruise, I would book it in a second if it was 30% off.

I hope you get a chance to talk to your guide today and see what information she has.

OK so I called Member service today and was told this…

I would have to have AT LEAST 1 member pay via pts and then the rest would be on a cash discount SO IF I wanted to do Feb 12 its 73 Pts for me $479 for 2 adult and $179 for DD PLUS the $95 fee or whatever PLUS another charge for fuel… To me this is not worth it!!! I would just pay out of pocket for the cruise because its only $1100 for me and the kids. I rather save my pts for something else perhaps skiing in CO!!

I just got off the phone with member services and I was told that there was absolutely no discount for DVC members when booking a cruise cash.

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;882494]OK so I called Member service today and was told this…

I would have to have AT LEAST 1 member pay via pts and then the rest would be on a cash discount SO IF I wanted to do Feb 12 its 73 Pts for me $479 for 2 adult and $179 for DD PLUS the $95 fee or whatever PLUS another charge for fuel… To me this is not worth it!!! I would just pay out of pocket for the cruise because its only $1100 for me and the kids. I rather save my pts for something else perhaps skiing in CO!![/QUOTE]

I heard the same thing…1 member needs to book using points, everyone else in the party gets the discount. I have NO CLUE if it’s worth it. Just what I heard.

IMO its not worth it because first off you have to use 73 pts and that to me is almost 1 week in may at AKV. Then you can pay cash for the other people on a “what the call discount” and then pay $95 fee and then the fuel surcharge. Im not going to do it. Its cheaper for me to pay cash out of my pocket. For a 3 night cruise in Feb is $1200 w/o transfers and insurance

WOW…that seems like a great rate! Is that for 1, 2, 3 or 4 people? Maybe I can talk DH into it one day!

The way you explain it, I don’t think it would be worth it, either. UNLESS you have a boat load of points to use!

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;882813]WOW…that seems like a great rate! Is that for 1, 2, 3 or 4 people? Maybe I can talk DH into it one day!

The way you explain it, I don’t think it would be worth it, either. UNLESS you have a boat load of points to use![/QUOTE]

Well I have 480 Pts BUT I dont want to use them all for the cruise. The way she said it was IF I wanted to only use pts for 1 person I can which in my case was 73 then I had to pay cash for the rest plus the DVC $95 charge and the fuel charge. To me the $1100-$1300 on DCL site is a better deal. You can go in Sept for cheaper than that but I think you need a passport for after June if you already dont have one.

Thanks SO MUCH for the info! How’d you get so many points? I thought you bought 160, plus 160 bonus? Did you get 320 bonus???