DVC and the dining plan

As my trip draws near, I become more and more frustrated that DVC members aren’t eligible for the free dining plan.

The way I see it, I made a long term commitment to stay at Disney properties till the day I die and it seems like I am being penalized for it.

I don’t regret the decision, by the way. I just think DVC members should get a break.

Someone please help me feel better about this. I made no ADR’s because I don’t wanna fight with everyone that’s eating for free.

Well unfortunately that’s exactly the problem, they already have you for life. :laugh: Disney doesn’t do the “Free Dining” promotion to thank their guests for being loyal patrons they offer it so hopefully they can book up rooms with families.

It balances out in my mind because we do get lots of nice perks & fun stuff. :smile:

I know you’re not alone in how you feel but just think, in 40 years you’ll still have your DVC and free dining will be long gone.

Disney/DVC doesn’t need to offer us free dining, we’re coming either way. Free dining is offered to fill empty rooms at rack rate, it’s just another discount. If you do the math it might not be much different than a 25% off AP discount when you all it all up. Sure, it’s a better deal if you stay in a value resort but that’s not why we bought DVC.

We’re not totally out of free dining, you could rent or bank you points then pay cash for a room and add free dining.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;979148]

It balances out in my mind because we do get lots of nice perks & fun stuff. :smile:[/QUOTE]

I suppose that helps a little. You’d think they would at least give some sort of 50% discount or something like that.

I do agree with that, even if it wasn’t on the dining plan, I’d like to see some more discounts here & there. Even if they are minor, it’s still a nod of appreciation. I always thought we should get a discount of Disneyland multi-day park hoppers. It’s unrealistic to expect the huge amount of east coast DVCers to buy DL annual passes just to take advantage of the discount but I think a discount on multi-day tickets would be nice.

I would love to see a discount on regular passes. We don’t always need APs and a little discount on other passes would be nice.

I had to buy my DS (15) a park hopper last trip because we burned him out on Disney and now he rarely goes. The CM gave us the So. Cal rate. Saved us 60 bucks. I think she did it because we were DVC members.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;979153]I know you’re not a lone in how you feel but just think, in 40 years you’ll still have your DVC and free dining will be long gone.

Disney/DVC doesn’t need to offer us free dining, we’re coming either way. Free dining is offered to fill empty rooms at rack rate, it’s just another discount. If you do the math it might not be much different than a 25% off AP discount when you all it all up. Sure, it’s a better deal if you stay in a value resort but that’s not why we bought DVC.

We’re not totally out of free dining, you could rent or bank you points then pay cash for a room and add free dining.[/QUOTE]

You’re right. I knew you guys would help me feel better. I will go in to DW in peace.

I hope so. I’m not sure we could afford to stay 7-10 nights a year every year in a DVC room even if we could get free dining. Make a couple of ADRs and enjoy knowing you’re going back to a beautiful room at the end of the day.

[QUOTE=evansfmly5;979145]As my trip draws near, I become more and more frustrated that DVC members aren’t eligible for the free dining plan.
[/QUOTE]

“Free” dining is a promotional package offered by the WDW Resort that is designed to fill the resorts and parks during an otherwise slow period. It really isn’t free as it can only be obtained by purchasing a promotional package that includes at least 3 nights at the full rack rate and at least one day’s worth of park tickets.

The intent of “free” dining is to increase revenue during slow periods.

To give the dining plan to DVC members would cost Disney a lot of money, and it wouldn’t increase revenue. DVC members are going to come and fill a resort and probably visit the parks anyway.

I don’t ever see Disney offering free dining to vacations booked via points. Of course, DVC members can book the same promotional package as the general public using cash and take advantage of “free” dining.

And to be completely honest with you, after visiting WDW several times during free dining, I now steer clear of those dates at all costs. :laugh::pinch:

Take your trip point cost. Now multipy that by annual fee. Add diining plan cost. Now divide by the total number of nights.

Now go to the WDW site and check the per night rate for the size unit and add 12% tax. And chances are you won’t be going doing the cheapest time shown as the “from $ per night.”

Bet you feel better now. :laugh:

I recently priced a 7 day rental out ($11 per point) to compare to the buy 4 get 3 free and including park tickets, it was still a few dollars cheaper, even with WDW “giving” three days away.

This is normally how I feel, too. But, I wanted to be there on my birthday which is in Sept. So…

So, do you think the crowds will be light in early Sept.?

We have been for free dining for 3 years, ranging in dates from Sept. 4 to Sept 20. This year we are going later, sept. 22-Oct. 3. We have always found the parks to be light, except during EMH, which we no longer do. We have walked on most attractions for most of these stays.

It doesnt seem right that DVC members dont get free dining or 1/2 price dining all the time, or something. That would annoy me as well.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;979590]Take your trip point cost. Now multipy that by annual fee. Add diining plan cost. Now divide by the total number of nights.

Now go to the WDW site and check the per night rate for the size unit and add 12% tax. And chances are you won’t be going doing the cheapest time shown as the “from $ per night.”

Bet you feel better now. :laugh:

I recently priced a 7 day rental out ($11 per point) to compare to the buy 4 get 3 free and including park tickets, it was still a few dollars cheaper, even with WDW “giving” three days away.[/QUOTE]

I’ve done comparisons like this before and gotten the same result as you did. One thing I do like about the points is they seem to go along way. And, yes, I do feel better. Thanks for the info.

I don’t think DVC members will ever see free dining. That promotion is designed to fill empty rooms at rack rate, DVC rooms are going to be full most of the year so Disney and DVC would get nothing out of it.

I would rather own DVC for 40 years than get a couple of good discounts that I have to wait for and worry about coming out.