DVC-- Completely NO Knowledge!

YUP, headline pretty much says it all. For a long time I’ve been hearing DVC, and never caring about it to figure out the in’s and out’s of how it works. I know what it stands for, and thats about it… hahah.

Can anyone give me the break down of what it is. How it works. How do you rent points? How does it make it more affordable to stay in a Deluxe resort? The only reason I am very interested, well, actually theres two reasons. One is just simply, I want to know! haha. Second is, I have a HUGE family, and I’d like to see what type of difference it would make, to see if it’s possible to stay all of us in a Deluxe resort. And if it isn’t reasonable enough, I’m considering buying my parents a anniversary gift, a stay at a Deluxe resort, just them! They deserve it. They have not been away for us kids in close to 28 years! The only time was last year and only for a weekend!

They’ve always wanted to stay in the Polynesian. I want it to be a surprise. Because my mom would never do it unless she was kind of ‘forced’ into I guess! (aka, she’d never do it on her own, or let my dad do it.)

Thanks for all the help!

Check-out this thread:

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/dvc-corner/48606-dvc.html

To rent points, you just find a DVC memeber that’s willing/needing to sell off some points then you strike up a deal with them. This can create significant savings for the Deluxe Resorts and Vacation Villas.

Good luck!

The best way to find a MB person who is interested in renting you points is to post your specific interest (like “I would like to rent enough points to stay in this summer in a SSR 2-bedroom”) in the DVC Trade/Rental Requests thread here. You will get a lot of replies and PMs from people who can rent their points to you.

Sort through the replies, make a decision about whom you’d like to deal with, and then the two of you work it out.

The most important thing you can do is read about renting the points, because it is a person-to-person deal and both parties need to truly understnad what they’ve agreed to be prepared to follow through.

You will save money, because DVC members get the reservation cheaper, and the savings get passed on to you.

There are other sites on the web that are devoted exclusively to DVC, DVC rentals and so forth. You should really learn all you can before you take advantage of this wonderful opportunity!

Several years ago we started renting points for our trips. Being able to stay in a deluxe definitely spoils you. Be careful though. Once we started renting points I kept thinking we might as well buy into DVC rather than pay someone else to use their points. Now, I am a proud owner at BCV just waiting for Disney to et me into the system so that I can make my Christmas reservation.

As for the renting it really is easy. It requires a bit of trust on both sides as the renter has to trust the owner will make and keep the reservation. The owner has to trust that the renter will not cause damage to the room–which the owner can be held responsible for.

I usually rent from the same person each year. On my past trip I wanted to stay at AKL concierge so we used a different person to make our reservation. The reservation was not right and the person never got back to me about it. It caused the beginning of the trip to be VERY stressful but I decided that we would make it work and we did. Luckily the hotel helped as best they could given the situation.

And the owner has to trust that the renter will come through with the last of the cash, too! Good grief, can you imagine how awful it would be if someone paid their down payment to an owner and hten bailed out before they paid the last half?

Actually, in real life, I have never heard of any of these deals going awry.

How many people are we talking? The largest DVC unit is the 3 BR/3 BA which will sleep 12. (2 Master BR, 4 in each BR and 2 on sofa bed in LR.)

You can also book smaller units and request they be in same building.

You can use points for non-DVC resorts, but the prices are REALLY high, plus there is $95 service charge you get hit for. You DON’T want to rent points for anything but a DVC resort.

I have points to rent now, as do several others here. Email me with your details and I’ll price it you for you, and send you one of my rental agreements which will explain alot of the differences. You are actually renting a timeshare and not a hotel room. RLC@RLCarmichael.com

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;928237]YUP, headline pretty much says it all. For a long time I’ve been hearing DVC, and never caring about it to figure out the in’s and out’s of how it works. I know what it stands for, and thats about it… hahah.

Can anyone give me the break down of what it is. How it works. How do you rent points? How does it make it more affordable to stay in a Deluxe resort? The only reason I am very interested, well, actually theres two reasons. One is just simply, I want to know! haha. Second is, I have a HUGE family, and I’d like to see what type of difference it would make, to see if it’s possible to stay all of us in a Deluxe resort. And if it isn’t reasonable enough, I’m considering buying my parents a anniversary gift, a stay at a Deluxe resort, just them! They deserve it. They have not been away for us kids in close to 28 years! The only time was last year and only for a weekend!

They’ve always wanted to stay in the Polynesian. I want it to be a surprise. Because my mom would never do it unless she was kind of ‘forced’ into I guess! (aka, she’d never do it on her own, or let my dad do it.)

Thanks for all the help![/QUOTE]

Stacey what a thoughtful gift for your parents, they would love that- what a sweetie you are.

Do yourself a favor as you begin your search and be sure to include several DVC members (or people from other trusted sites) in your search, to be sure you are seeing the many options out there. It’s important to do some comparison shopping, as with any big purchase! There are multiple people here who have different options and pricing available to you. Good luck and enjoy!

As rcarmichael said, booking one of the deluxes instead of one of the DCV places is going to cost WAY to much. the savings of booking points will be lost totally or you will just break even. Some of the deluxes resorts HAVE DVC rooms, so forget the Polynesian. Think AKL, Beach Club, Boadwalk, Wilderness lodge and the Contemporary if it’s available…they are deluxe resorts WITH dvc studios and villas. You can also go to a DVC only place like Old Key West (lowest on the point chart = more affordable and TOTALLY beautiful) or Saratoga spings which I will have an opinion on after my stay there in from 2.5 - 2.10.

You should post the exact dates you are looking for…do your research first and find out when the cheapest time to rent is. Giving a gift like this is wonderful,but think of savings too. Why pay more if you don’t have to? Deal with members on here…ones that have rented to other MB members before to protect yourself. you should expect to pay between $10-$11 per point. I am staying at SSR from 2/5 (thrusday) till 2/10 ( tuesday) and it’s 88 points to give you an idea of what you are dealing with.

I cannot stress the importance of doing your research and homework on this. you will have to provide a deposit at the time of booking and have a time frame for paying off said trip…this is an agreement you need to make with the person you are renting the points from. Also keep in mind that if something falls through there is a VERY huge chance you are not able to get your money back as once these points are rented the owner may not be able to cancel and lose the points. this is a commitment that you are going to bound to, so be sure they are going to want to go.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!!

Okay, is there anyway I can find out how much the trip would cost if I rented points so I could save it for my parents trip?

Thanks for the help!

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;928285]How many people are we talking? The largest DVC unit is the 3 BR/3 BA which will sleep 12. (2 Master BR, 4 in each BR and 2 on sofa bed in LR.)

You can also book smaller units and request they be in same building.

You can use points for non-DVC resorts, but the prices are REALLY high, plus there is $95 service charge you get hit for. You DON’T want to rent points for anything but a DVC resort.

I have points to rent now, as do several others here. Email me with your details and I’ll price it you for you, and send you one of my rental agreements which will explain alot of the differences. You are actually renting a timeshare and not a hotel room. RLC@RLCarmichael.com[/QUOTE]

Okay, I will email you. Would it be too difficult of me to ask you to price twice? One for just my parents and then one for all of us? Thank you! And what places are included, all deluxe resorts correct?

Well thank you so much! I really hope they enjoy it, they deserve it so much! They do so much for us. They need so time to relax. They work too hard!

I was going to send them on a cruise, but I think getting my mother to go to Disney World will be hard enough without us, let alone on a boat without us!